EL 8 in a 3rd level module? WHAT THE FUCKING CRAP?!?!?!?!?!

Started by Don Coyote, February 22, 2011, 01:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Seriously what the crap WOTC?

So I decided to be 'lazy' as I build up some material for my upcoming campaign and bought some old 3.5 modules.

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE IS A EL 8 EL 7 and 2 EL 6 encounters in an adventure module published by the offical publisher?

HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 22, 2011, 01:27:15 AM

So I decided to be 'lazy' as I build up some material for my upcoming campaign and bought some old 3.5 modules.

WHY THE FUCK IS THERE IS A EL 8 EL 7 and 2 EL 6 encounters in an adventure module published by the offical publisher?

Monte Cook wrote them?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 01:33:05 AM

Monte Cook wrote them?

Pfff, you've been monkey stomping everything since level 4.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 22, 2011, 01:34:13 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 01:33:05 AM

Monte Cook wrote them?

Pfff, you've been monkey stomping everything since level 4.

Yeah, because you rewrote things as a "challenge", rather than "roll up new characters again".

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Back on topic, though, if the adventure assumes 6 players, the APL is +1, meaning a hard encounter should be EL6, a boss should be EL7, and an epic - potentially campaign ending - slugfest should be an EL8.

Don Coyote

Damn it says designed for 4 3rd level characters, not the usual 4-6 characters of lvl x to x+.

wasn't written by Cook.

Supposed to be for Forgotten Realms...stupid OP setting?

Last encounter is a CR4 followed by the EL 8 and EL 7 encounters if they haven't been smote already.......seriously WTF. I guess this is why a good DM reads shit over and makes changes. This is what I get for wanting to be prepped instead of winging things every night.

Oh and I should add that once the party enters this 'dungeon' they are stuck until they find the key out.  "whoops your cleric died gratz" :| :kingmeh:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 22, 2011, 01:51:22 AM
Damn it says designed for 4 3rd level characters, not the usual 4-6 characters of lvl x to x+.

wasn't written by Cook.

Supposed to be for Forgotten Realms...stupid OP setting?

Last encounter is a CR4 followed by the EL 8 and EL 7 encounters if they haven't been smote already.......seriously WTF. I guess this is why a good DM reads shit over and makes changes. This is what I get for wanting to be prepped instead of winging things every night.

Oh and I should add that once the party enters this 'dungeon' they are stuck until they find the key out.  "whoops your cleric died gratz" :| :kingmeh:

1.  Forgotten Realms says everything you needed to say.

2.  This is why you put a little time into it.

3.  "Stuck in the dungeon" is a gimmick for lazy writers that can't be arsed to balance encounters.

Sister Fracture

"Stuck in a dungeon" is not just frustrating for your players, but the DM as well. Also it's boring.

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Running Rappan Athuk is a hoot, on the other hand.  It's CR-loaded and loot-loaded.  WAY TOO MUCH loot-loaded.

The party has gone through the intro, and 7 dungeon levels, and is now 11th level, and loaded for fucking bear.  No way would I stick that much loot in a campaign.

TGRR,
Running as written.

Sister Fracture

"Sanjay, get me my #10 longsword will you? There's a good chap."

Merisiel,
has a fucking GOLF BAG for her swords.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 22, 2011, 02:16:10 AM
"Sanjay, get me my #10 longsword will you? There's a good chap."

Merisiel,
has a fucking GOLF BAG for her swords.

"Geez, how are we going to top that last level?  I know!  Let's buff up the monsters with MORE loot!  What could go wrong?"

:lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

When we were first running 3.0, Rappan Athuk seemed WAY scarier.   :lulz:

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 02:21:42 AM

It's probably because now you can crit and sneak attack undead, which was basically your first five levels.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 22, 2011, 02:23:10 AM

It's probably because now you can crit and sneak attack undead, which was basically your first five levels.

Also, Pathfinder PCs are in general a lot more interlocking, ability-wise.  A good party mix is damn near impossible to beat after about 9th level.

Sister Fracture

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 02:27:20 AM
Quote from: Sister Fracture on February 22, 2011, 02:23:10 AM

Also, Pathfinder PCs are in general a lot more interlocking, ability-wise.  A good party mix is damn near impossible to beat after about 9th level.

That's because they took the SUCK out of all the classes, including Bard and Druid.

Druid is fucking amazing, I still like to say.