"Diplomat" in Pakistan shooting actually CIA and ex-Blackwater

Started by Cain, February 22, 2011, 03:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

This story is getting more and more interesting every time I look it up

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/world/asia/22pakistan.html?_r=1

QuoteThe American arrested in Pakistan after shooting two men at a crowded traffic stop was part of a covert, C.I.A.-led team of operatives conducting surveillance on militant groups deep inside the country, according to American government officials. . . . Mr. Davis has worked for years as a C.I.A. contractor, including time at Blackwater Worldwide, the controversial private security firm (now called Xe) that Pakistanis have long viewed as symbolizing a culture of American gun slinging overseas.

Before you congratulate the NYT on some sterling reporting though, please note:

QuoteThe New York Times had agreed to temporarily withhold information about Mr. Davis's ties to the agency at the request of the Obama administration, which argued that disclosure of his specific job would put his life at risk. Several foreign news organizations have disclosed some aspects of Mr. Davis's work with the C.I.A.. On Monday, American officials lifted their request to withhold publication, though George Little, a C.I.A. spokesman, declined any further comment.

Cain

Incidentally, the wife of one of the men killed committed suicide because of grief, and I believe the American embassy or consulate send out a squad to pickup Davis, which hit and killed another Pakistani civilian.

So even if these two were up to some shady shit, two innocent people are dead.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on February 22, 2011, 03:26:05 PM
Incidentally, the wife of one of the men killed committed suicide because of grief, and I believe the American embassy or consulate send out a squad to pickup Davis, which hit and killed another Pakistani civilian.

So even if these two were up to some shady shit, two innocent people are dead.
:|

Jenne

I think it was either a BBC or NPR spot I heard on how they guy involved couldn't be "placed" on the spy ring very easily by journalists at first.  This was last week. Interesting what's come to light since.

Adios

Dirty deeds, and they're done NOT dirt cheap. Once again Cain, there is nothing, it seems, that surprises me anymore.

Cain

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hnIopUnUoJUu-w3L6DR8Fv88jk6g?docId=44bcc6b88a1b4c89903d4de0a657ccaf

QuoteAn American CIA contractor detained on suspicion of murder was released on Wednesday after families of the two Pakistanis he killed were given "blood money" and the case was dropped, Pakistani officials said.

The killings and detention of Raymond Allen Davis had strained ties between Pakistan and the United States and added to anti-America sentiment.

Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said Davis was charged with murder Wednesday but then immediately pardoned by the families of the victims in exchange for compensation or "blood money", as is permitted under Pakistani law. Davis was arrested on Jan. 27 after killing two Pakistanis in what he said was self-defense.

Chaudhry Mushtaq, superintendent at Kot Lakhpat jail, said Davis left the jail with U.S. consulate officials after the hearing.

U.S. officials were not available for comment.

Cain

More assassins on diplomatic passports.  This time, UK ones.

http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2011/05/17/caught-red-handed-british-assassins-in-the-horn-of-africa/

QuoteIn early February of this year, 2011, a six man squad of British mercenaries were caught red handed in the midst of preparing an attempt to assassinate the top leadership of the Eritrean government in the port city of Massawa on the Red Sea.

Of the six, four were apprehended and two managed to escape, abandoning their mates while blazing out of Massawa Bay into the Red Sea in an inflatable speed boat, never to be seen again by Eritrean eyes.

A search of the vessel they arrived on uncovered a cache of tools of the assassin's trade. Included was a small arsenal of automatic weapons, a sophisticated satellite communications system, state of the art electronic target range finders, and most damning, several sniper rifles.

All of those arrested have since been confirmed as employees of a British "security" firm akin to the notorious US company Blackwater/Xe. At least two of the four are former British Special Forces. As in the case of Raymond Davis, the CIA killer caught in the act in Pakistan, the British Foreign Office has been claiming Geneva Convention protections for these gun thugs all but confirming their being on an official mission for the British Government.

[...]

This is not the first time I have written about an attempt to assassinate Eritrea's leadership. In 2002 and 2003, I wrote of how during the western backed Ethiopian invasion of Eritrea in 2000, a series of long range artillery attacks destroyed Eritrean front line command centers within minutes of President/Commander-in-Chief Issias Aferworki departure. In one case, there is strong evidence that a missile caused the destruction, and if this is true, it is almost certain to have been launched by a U.S. Fighter aircraft at high altitude.

Again, the question must be asked, why would the west want to kill Eritrea's leaders?

Maybe it's because Eritrea's economy is once again about to don the mantle of the fastest growing economy in Africa, and this without significant western aid projects or predatory loans from the IMF and World Bank.

More likely it's the fact Eritrea has long been a thorn in the side of western attempts to dominate the Horn of Africa, one of the most strategically important regions in the world. With some 40% of the world maritime traffic passing Eritrean shores every day, including much of the world's oil and the entire trade between China, Japan and India with the EU, the Horn of Africa may not be of concern to the average westerner, but those in power in western capitals know better.

Adios

Son of a ...

Is this the only way this place ever makes the news? I simply do not understand why they are such a threat.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Charley Brown on June 11, 2011, 07:00:29 PM
I simply do not understand why they are such a threat.

I'm curious about this too.

My guess, from reading the CIA World Factbook and whatnot, is that the Eritrean dictatorship refuses to do business with the west, except apparently with Canada.

The Government continues to place its hope for additional revenue on the development of several international mining projects. Despite difficulties for international companies in working with the Eritrean Government, a Canadian mining company signed a contract with the government in 2007 and began mineral extraction in 2010.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/er.html

I imagine control and development of the Eritrean ports in the Red Sea would also be incredibly valuable.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Adios

Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on June 11, 2011, 10:38:36 PM

My guess, from reading the CIA World Factbook and whatnot, is that the Eritrean dictatorship refuses to do business with the west, except apparently with Canada.

The Government continues to place its hope for additional revenue on the development of several international mining projects. Despite difficulties for international companies in working with the Eritrean Government, a Canadian mining company signed a contract with the government in 2007 and began mineral extraction in 2010.

I imagine control and development of the Eritrean ports in the Red Sea would also be incredibly valuable.

Ah. So if they won't allow the west to control them, the west kills them. Figures. It is increasingly difficult to not hate western governments.

Quote from: Charley Brown on June 11, 2011, 10:46:35 PM
Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on June 11, 2011, 10:38:36 PM

Ah. So if they won't allow the west to control them, the west kills them. Figures. It is increasingly difficult to not hate western governments.

Well, that is my guess, for what it's worth (I'm most likely missing a big piece of the puzzle here).

edit: fucked up the quotes

Cain

British government is now claiming the mercs were antipiracy contractors.  Who just happened to have diplomatic passports.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/world/africa/12eritrea.html

Eritrea is also one of the countries pushing for talks instead of military action in Somalia.  Some people say this is because they support Al Shabab, which may well be true.  And of course, Al Shabab leads back to Laskhar al-Zil, which leads back to Al-Qaeda. They're also a hop and skip away from Yemen's coast, which is a very useful chokepoint for Al-Qaeda to disrupt world trade through.  8% of global seaborne trade moves through that route, including numerous weapons for fat-arsed Arab sheikhs who oil their beards.

Quote from: Cain on June 11, 2011, 11:45:51 PM
British government is now claiming the mercs were antipiracy contractors.  Who just happened to have diplomatic passports.

I always imagined contemporary disinformation campaigns to be more sophisticated than that.

Quote from: Cain on June 11, 2011, 11:45:51 PM
Eritrea is also one of the countries pushing for talks instead of military action in Somalia.  Some people say this is because they support Al Shabab, which may well be true.  And of course, Al Shabab leads back to Laskhar al-Zil, which leads back to Al-Qaeda. They're also a hop and skip away from Yemen's coast, which is a very useful chokepoint for Al-Qaeda to disrupt world trade through.  8% of global seaborne trade moves through that route, including numerous weapons for fat-arsed Arab sheikhs who oil their beards.

But isn't it in Eritrea's interest to not disrupt trade since they seem to be pretty dependent on imports?