A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming

Started by Cramulus, February 22, 2011, 06:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 07:42:26 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 22, 2011, 07:40:00 PM
I ran Tomb of Horrors, many years ago.

Once.

Lost pretty much the whole party in the first main hallway.

I ran it recently.  The party waltzed through, using the divination spell, and searching like a proper party ought to do.  

The last time I had run it, the two fleeing survivors could see daylight when they got mashed.

The idiots HAD to tinker with the big, black ball in the demon mouth at the end of the hallway...

I'll have to see if I still have my copy.  Might be interesting to run again with a group of characters whose players have a healthy sense of paranoia.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on February 22, 2011, 07:41:06 PM
If you say "I search for traps", you make a regular die roll. If you describe your search, or roleplay it somehow, I usually award a +2 to +4 depending on your description. I am considering whether or not no description should actually confer a -2, but maybe that's overly harsh.

I give a +2 bonus if they're specific, and a -2 penalty if they just say "I check the room for traps".  I don't bother telling them about it, but I'm sure they've noticed they do better when they get descriptive.  Also, keep in mind the area a single search check will cover.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on February 22, 2011, 07:48:03 PM

Luckily, at this point the fighter said, "Dude, this is a ROLE PLAYING GAME. If you just want to roll dice, we should be playing Sorry."

could have hugged him right there

Should've given him a 250 xp reward on the spot.   :D
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on February 22, 2011, 07:49:11 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 07:42:26 PM
Quote from: Luna on February 22, 2011, 07:40:00 PM
I ran Tomb of Horrors, many years ago.

Once.

Lost pretty much the whole party in the first main hallway.

I ran it recently.  The party waltzed through, using the divination spell, and searching like a proper party ought to do.  

The last time I had run it, the two fleeing survivors could see daylight when they got mashed.

The idiots HAD to tinker with the big, black ball in the demon mouth at the end of the hallway...

I'll have to see if I still have my copy.  Might be interesting to run again with a group of characters whose players have a healthy sense of paranoia.

I have the 3.5e copy.  It's the same thing, updated to the new rules.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 07:47:36 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on February 22, 2011, 07:41:06 PM
Sometimes they ask me things like, "What do I have to roll to know whether or not this guy is lying?" and the characters trained in Insight get frustrated when I say, "No die roll, just think about it."

That's kind of harsh.  The players are not the characters, and don't have the skills the characters have.  Nerf-batting their skills says that there's no reason whatsoever to put any thought into skill allocation.

"Insight" (Sense motive for us) is a skill that should be rolled when the player feels suspicious.  If they make the roll, they should get the result.  If they check EVERY TIME an NPC talks to them, they should get a reputation for being a paranoid asshole, and suffer on charisma checks accordingly (no need to tell them why, they'll figure it out or they won't).

I hear you, and 95% of the time I do let them make a roll. But one of the big themes of this campaign is Intrigue... it's about investigation and discovering secrets. Certain things will take more than a flat no-description perception or insight check. I let them know this up front.

Certain things lose their intrigue-ness if the players know FOR CERTAIN what the truth is (because they know they rolled an 18 on their social skill check). I'll let them roll, and even give them a bonus, if they tell me why they're suspicious. But if they just make skill checks with no RP support, then I'm the only one at the table RPing.

This also happens now and then when they're trying to talk up an NPC. Somebody will say "I make a diplomacy check," and then blink at me when I say, "which represents you doing... what exactly?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cramulus on February 22, 2011, 07:56:52 PM

This also happens now and then when they're trying to talk up an NPC. Somebody will say "I make a diplomacy check," and then blink at me when I say, "which represents you doing... what exactly?"

That is freaking awesome.

The Good Reverend Roger

This is just like the disable device check.  First they have to roleplay it, then they have to make the check (with unknown modifiers assigned by you, based on their roleplaying), to see if their bullshit flew.

Almost all the charisma and wisdom based skills should work like this.

President Television

Based on this, I think I should give 0e a try sometime. That stuff about investigating rooms, that's exactly what I got into DnD for in the first place. Critical thought.
I might be interested in your Chainmail materials, Roger.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Don Coyote

I used to play DnD from that pale blue book that had the chits in it. Me and brother took it from our mom. Crazy times.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 23, 2011, 02:27:37 AM
I used to play DnD from that pale blue book that had the chits in it. Me and brother took it from our mom. Crazy times.

I still have a copy.   :lulz:

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 23, 2011, 02:58:04 AM
Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 23, 2011, 02:27:37 AM

I still have a copy.   :lulz:

Me too.

PopeTom

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 22, 2011, 08:01:28 PM

This is just like the disable device check.  First they have to roleplay it, then they have to make the check (with unknown modifiers assigned by you, based on their roleplaying), to see if their bullshit flew.

Almost all the charisma and wisdom based skills should work like this.

The other side of this is they make the skill check and then role-play out the result.  They are after all playing a character that may have better/worse cha/wis/int skills than they do.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Icey

Speaking of these things, I'm debating switching from 3.5 (grew up on it) to Pathfinder. If it's worth the money, that is.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Icey on February 23, 2011, 07:22:45 AM
Speaking of these things, I'm debating switching from 3.5 (grew up on it) to Pathfinder. If it's worth the money, that is.

It is, and all your old stuff will work with it.

Icey

Should I just get the new core rulebook? Or is there a PHB, DMG, Monster Manual combo to get?