News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Cell phones increase brain activity

Started by Adios, February 23, 2011, 03:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Now they will re-focus the study to try and determine if this is good, bad or neutral.

The radiation emitted after just 50 minutes on a mobile phone increases the activity in brain cells, according to a new government-funded study.

The effects of that brain activity are not known, said the researchers, who called for more study.

Phones that were turned off did not create the same brain activity.

The small study, published in the Journal of American Medical Association, is the first to look specifically at how electromagnetic radiation from cell phones affects glucose metabolism, a normal function, in the brain.

"When glucose metabolism goes up, it activates cells. The findings are an indication that exposure to cell phones activate the brain much more easily than we previously thought," said Dr. Nora Volkow, National Institutes of Health neuroscientist and lead study author.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/22/cell.phone.brain.activity/index.html?hpt=T2

Luna

Having seen some of the nitwits yammering on the things while they drive, I have determined that they do, in fact, melt your brains.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

LMNO

I heard something about this on NPR.  Apparently, the amount of brain change is smaller than what occurs when you blink.

Adios

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 23, 2011, 04:48:53 PM
I heard something about this on NPR.  Apparently, the amount of brain change is smaller than what occurs when you blink.

But what if you blink while using a cell phone?  :evil:

LMNO

Adios

I dunno, part of my problem with this kind of study is that it isn't cross-referenced. By that I mean, why not study people who work around high voltage all day? I think the EMF distributed by several thousand volts would be far more significant than a cell phone.

LMNO

That brings to mind another issue I've been thinking about.  Just because we can measure it, doesn't mean it has a noticable effect.

For example, the arsenic level in drinking water used to be 50 parts per billion, with no noticable adverse affect.  But then we developed a detector that could go smaller -- as small as 10 parts per billion, which we set our new standards to.  But as impressive as a reduction of five times the previous standard sounds, it's pretty much meaningless as far as an effect on our bodies go.  And then New Jersey sets their own limit of 5 parts per billion -- a 50% reduction!   Guess what?  Even more meaningless.

AFK

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 23, 2011, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 23, 2011, 04:48:53 PM

But what if you blink while using a cell phone?  :evil:

While also eating a delicious sandwich. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 23, 2011, 05:19:15 PM
That brings to mind another issue I've been thinking about.  Just because we can measure it, doesn't mean it has a noticable effect.

For example, the arsenic level in drinking water used to be 50 parts per billion, with no noticable adverse affect.  But then we developed a detector that could go smaller -- as small as 10 parts per billion, which we set our new standards to.  But as impressive as a reduction of five times the previous standard sounds, it's pretty much meaningless as far as an effect on our bodies go.  And then New Jersey sets their own limit of 5 parts per billion -- a 50% reduction!   Guess what?  Even more meaningless.

Exactly. I have been following the dog and pony show about the recent solar flares and how they could affect communications and power grids. Some are trying to make it a sky is falling scenario and others are saying it's not likely. Yes, we can measure the size of the flares, but we really don't know what we are measuring at this time. Maybe at a later date we can say with some certainty that if a flare exceeds a certain size then X will happen. Until then it's just a measurement.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 23, 2011, 04:58:16 PM
I dunno, part of my problem with this kind of study is that it isn't cross-referenced. By that I mean, why not study people who work around high voltage all day? I think the EMF distributed by several thousand volts would be far more significant than a cell phone.

I don't know that it'd be that strong of a field (high voltage lines usually have a very low current), except maybe around a transformer.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Adios

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 23, 2011, 06:06:59 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on February 23, 2011, 04:58:16 PM

I don't know that it'd be that strong of a field (high voltage lines usually have a very low current), except maybe around a transformer.

You've never worked in an industrial power distribution center. Also find some honey bees around high voltage lines.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Why is increased brain activity bad?  Other than a headache?  :?

Adios

Quote from: Khara on February 23, 2011, 06:16:34 PM

They aren't saying it is, but they are going to try to find out.

Requia ☣

I was thinking more a lineman.  A power distribution center is loaded with transformers.  That's not a high voltage thing, any transformer produces a hell of a field (it's actually the whole design of the transformer).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 23, 2011, 06:19:17 PM
Quote from: Khara on February 23, 2011, 06:16:34 PM

They aren't saying it is, but they are going to try to find out.

Ah ok.