Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Chemistry / Ballistics spags!

Started by Jasper, February 24, 2011, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slyph

Jasper

Nope.  

But whenever I open the breech, the shell flies out even if I didn't fire it.  I like to practice catching them.

Slyph

Well, I don't know a not, but I know enough to say: Don't shoot incendiaries out of a shotty that ejects.

Jasper

It doesn't eject the empty shells until I crack it open.

Still haven't gotten around to testing a round, by the way.  I have tested my blue chemical under an oxy-acetylene burner, just to see if it does turn blue, and it didn't really.  A bit more R&D is needed, sadly I don't have much disposable income at the moment, and it seems the fewer things I have to do, the busier I get.  Argh.

The Good Reverend Roger

This sort of thing, incidentally, occasionally makes the paper.

Not in the way you'd like.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

If you have tips Re: That, I'm ears.

ch3mist

I have a couple tips:

-Don't load homemade napalm into a shotgun shell.
-If you do, don't fire it.
-If you do, fire it shortly after loading. I can't think of a particular reason why letting them sit would degrade the integrity of the shell or cap if you follow normal storage practices (cool and dry), but finding out that there was a problem could be catastrophic.
-If you do, don't do it a second time without cleaning the shit out of the chamber and barrel.
-If you do, take video and post it here regardless of outcome. In event of death or loss of fingers, have a friend post it.

Back to the original question, your cobalt oxide will be soluble in methanol. If you want to generate a blue flame just to see it you could use an inert material (nonreactive metal rod) to transfer some of this methanol solution to an acetylene (or equivalent) flame.

As for the shotgun thing (again)... You might try another dry agent to increase the temperature of combustion upon ignition of the round (thermite?) mixed with the Co compound and the powder from the original shell but even if things go well you'd seem likely to horribly scar the barrel of your shotgun.

~edited: "try another" not "dry another"
<\       />
>_ \   / _<
</\^^^/\>
{<0\./0>}
\ ) ( /
~(o:o)~
{!^!}
\_/

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ch3mist on May 03, 2011, 02:59:30 PM
I have a couple tips:

-Don't load homemade napalm into a shotgun shell.
-If you do, don't fire it.
-If you do, fire it shortly after loading. I can't think of a particular reason why letting them sit would degrade the integrity of the shell or cap if you follow normal storage practices (cool and dry), but finding out that there was a problem could be catastrophic.
-If you do, don't do it a second time without cleaning the shit out of the chamber and barrel.
-If you do, take video and post it here regardless of outcome. In event of death or loss of fingers, have a friend post it.

Back to the original question, your cobalt oxide will be soluble in methanol. If you want to generate a blue flame just to see it you could use an inert material (nonreactive metal rod) to transfer some of this methanol solution to an acetylene (or equivalent) flame.

As for the shotgun thing (again)... You might dry another dry agent to increase the temperature of combustion upon ignition of the round (thermite?) mixed with the Co compound and the powder from the original shell but even if things go well you'd seem likely to horribly scar the barrel of your shotgun.

1.  I agree with the above sentiment.  Do not do this.

2.  Then Ch3mist wrecks it by giving technical advice.  Way to go, hero.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

In my mind, I'm envisioning every Mythbusters where they attempt to hack together or modify some sort of projectile weapon, which invariably explodes or does something unexpectedly destructive.  Which is why they fire it remotely while they stand behind several inches of shatter-resistant material.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 03, 2011, 04:51:50 PM
In my mind, I'm envisioning every Mythbusters where they attempt to hack together or modify some sort of projectile weapon, which invariably explodes or does something unexpectedly destructive.  Which is why they fire it remotely while they stand behind several inches of shatter-resistant material.

It's also an axiom of the US Army's EOD group that if you live by the explodey, you die by the explodey.

Jasper

Then I'm dead already.  I've been toying with fireworks for far too long to stop now.

I can be careful.  If I notice myself doing something that I'm absolutely confident will work, I'll stop and rethink things.  I'm good about that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2011, 06:52:40 PM
Then I'm dead already.  I've been toying with fireworks for far too long to stop now.

I can be careful.  If I notice myself doing something that I'm absolutely confident will work, I'll stop and rethink things.  I'm good about that.

It's a matter of time.  Professionally trained people go bang, eventually.

Jasper

That's the brilliant part.  I only do this sort of thing on the 4th, so with any luck I'll die in the company of my favorite people, on a sunny day, with music playing.

I could think of worse ways to go.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2011, 07:04:25 PM
That's the brilliant part.  I only do this sort of thing on the 4th, so with any luck I'll die in the company of my favorite people, on a sunny day, with music playing.

INORITE?  It'd be fucking awful to live to see my 30th birthday.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 03, 2011, 07:04:25 PM

If it's a big enough bang, that will literally be true.