News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Chemistry / Ballistics spags!

Started by Jasper, February 24, 2011, 08:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I have acquired some Cobalt(II) Carbonate for the purpose of manufacturing a blue flame.  I have played with it, and I have done an amount of web searching in vain hope of finding information on what, when it comes down to it, the best method is. 

Currently my plan has been to stuff some of it into a blank 12ga. shell and fire it from a shotgun, but I have hitherto been unable to determine, well, anything.   :oops: 

I could use a clue.

Jasper

Specifically, the temperature at which the reagent is said to give a blue flame, or some kind of hint as to how I'd work it out myself.

LMNO

Jasper

Really!  Bar soap.

Hmm.  I will try it!

Jasper

Hang on, hang on.  That's... ah. 

Will it work, though?

Requia ☣

Polystyrene works better than soap.  Most packing peanuts are made of the stuff.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 24, 2011, 09:06:16 PM
Polystyrene works better than soap.  Most packing peanuts are made of the stuff.

Most disposable cutlery as well.  You have to look, you don't want polypropylene.  The flimsy bendable cutlery is polypro, the rigid is polysty...

Jasper

Hmm.  I'm wondering how I can work this into shotshell form, since that was the boast I originally made that started this project.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 24, 2011, 09:49:23 PM
Hmm.  I'm wondering how I can work this into shotshell form, since that was the boast I originally made that started this project.
Use some primer and/or powder in the shell to ignite it?

Requia ☣

I'm pretty sure viscous flaming liquid is *not* something you want to put in a shotgun shell.

Jasper

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on February 25, 2011, 12:05:26 AM

Yeah, I think flash powder ought to work.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 25, 2011, 01:02:33 AM
I'm pretty sure viscous flaming liquid is *not* something you want to put in a shotgun shell.

My shotgun cost a hundred bucks, and is a glorified tube.

I mean, sure, it might cause absurd amounts of havoc to discharge such a shell, but would it be a danger to the gun?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 25, 2011, 01:22:10 AM

I mean, sure, it might cause absurd amounts of havoc to discharge such a shell, but would it be a danger to the gun?
Wrap the mass in paper before loading it into the shell? Unless you want the ZOMFGDIDYOUJUSTSHOOTFIREFROMYOURGUNNZOORZZZ effect.

Jasper

That was kind of the point, yeah.  I want to make, in effect, a blue dragons breath round, with the exception that I don't want to start huge fires.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 25, 2011, 01:22:10 AM

Smooth barreled shotguns that are rated to fire slugs aren't damaged by WP rounds, so the gun should probably be ok.  I was thinking more dangerous to you personally.

Jasper

Well, I've done stupider things with fireworks and lived to laugh about it.