News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Resolution Calling to Amend the Constitution Banning Corporate Personhood

Started by Telarus, February 28, 2011, 07:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Resolution Calling to Amend the Constitution Banning Corporate Personhood Introduced in Vermont
http://www.addictinginfo.org/?p=889

Damn good read.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Hardly surprising that this came out of Vermont.

It's doomed, though.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Good going, Vermont.

Now stop acting like hippies and get it done.

Jasper

Corporate people need to go.  It's a threat to the government itself.  Profit maximizing firms have no particular reason not to overthrow the government once they're powerful enough that the benefits outweigh the costs.

Jenne

There's currently a show on NBC here in the US that has this idea as their premise.  It's not all that great a show, but it is interesting how they weave the "evil corporation takes over all public works" base into the storyline.  Evil corporation personhood run amok.

Oh, it's called "The Cape."

LMNO

Quote from: Jenne on February 28, 2011, 07:33:01 PM
There's currently a show on NBC here in the US that has this idea as their premise.  It's not all that great a show, but it is interesting how they weave the "evil corporation takes over all public works" base into the storyline.  Evil corporation personhood run amok.

I've seen ads, and wasn't impressed enough to check it out.  Something about magic clothing that give you superpowers, and carnys?

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on February 28, 2011, 07:34:39 PM
Quote from: Jenne on February 28, 2011, 07:33:01 PM
There's currently a show on NBC here in the US that has this idea as their premise.  It's not all that great a show, but it is interesting how they weave the "evil corporation takes over all public works" base into the storyline.  Evil corporation personhood run amok.

I've seen ads, and wasn't impressed enough to check it out.  Something about magic clothing that give you superpowers, and carnys?

Yes, I blame terminal boredom and my current comic-turned-Hollywood fetish I have going on.  But, the fact they make ARK, the company that now runs the city, into this monstrosity entity that can be blamed for just about everything going wrong was interesting to me.

And of course it started out as a BIOTECH company.

Telarus

My girl and I are watching the Cape. I actually quite like it. It's like if they made an old-skool Adam West-as-batman low budget super hero show with today's TV effects. Some of it's hokey, some of the plot is see-through (what, you didn't think Scooby Doo is an actual Mystery show, did you?), but it's pulling off what they wanted to do with Heroes (y'know, a comic book super hero.... not Survivor: Super Hero Island).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 28, 2011, 07:30:52 PM
Corporate people need to go.  It's a threat to the government itself.  Profit maximizing firms have no particular reason not to overthrow the government once they're powerful enough that the benefits outweigh the costs.

Why overthrow it, when you can just lease it?  It's cheaper, and it leaves handy scapegoats lying around.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 28, 2011, 08:15:53 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on February 28, 2011, 07:30:52 PM

Why overthrow it, when you can just lease it?  It's cheaper, and it leaves handy scapegoats lying around.

This is the correct corporate sponsored motorcycle!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Requia ☣

Ban corporate personhood: Because what we really want is to take away the corporate right to pay taxes and get sued.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 28, 2011, 09:26:06 PM
Ban corporate personhood: Because what we really want is to take away the corporate right to pay taxes and get sued.

Yup.  Pretty much.

The Good Reverend Roger

Non-corporate businesses still pay taxes.

FFS.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 28, 2011, 09:53:40 PM

Non-corporate businesses still pay taxes.

FFS.

And get sued.

That's one of the main reasons TO incorporate, to keep one lawsuit from taking not just your business but your home and all of your personal assets.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."