News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

A comment on Doktor Howl vs TGRR

Started by Doktor Howl, March 02, 2011, 08:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Just a quick note:  While posting in this sub-forum, I use the moniker "Doktor Howl", rather than "TGRR", because I think differently using the Dok moniker.  This isn't to imply that I have MPS or any such rubbish...It's just that I have developed two somewhat different reality tunnels, that are useful for different things.  

It's a useful way of getting a second opinion on a subject, or looking at something in a different way.  It also requires self-training, of course, as anyone who remembers "Dok's" early history (TGRR in a lab smock)...However, the two reality tunnels grow more distinct over time, without the hassle of turning into Sibyl.

Interesting note:  As TGRR, I don't drink to speak of, and smoke like a fiend.  As Dok Howl, I drink a lot more, and smoke less (when I'm not actually drinking).  As TGRR, I am moodier and less social, and as Dok Howl, I'm typically in a manic state, and very approachable.

But again, let me stress that these aren't two different personalities...Just different filters I use to view the world.  Different lenses, so to speak.

Okay for now,
Dok
Molon Lube

Jasper

I get it.  Reminds me of how sometimes I wear a social psychologist hat, and my take on everything is sort of detached and inhuman, and sometimes I wear a joker hat, and everything becomes warped and hilarious.

LMNO

I do the same thing, I'm just not sure I label them as distinctly.  "LMNO visiting parents", "LMNO at work", "LMNO at the Gay Bar" are fairly distinct personalities.  I suppose I treat them as environmetal contexts.

LMNO
-apparently more reactive than once believed.

Jasper

I've held for a while now that most of personality does not take place in a vacuum, but in contexts.  TGRR has a somewhat different context than Dok howl.  Most people don't have names to go with different situations, but it's probably a good idea.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 02, 2011, 08:26:30 PM
I've held for a while now that most of personality does not take place in a vacuum, but in contexts.  TGRR has a somewhat different context than Dok howl.  Most people don't have names to go with different situations, but it's probably a good idea.

It's only important or relevant when dealing with Horrorology.
Molon Lube

Jasper

Granted.  It's a huge subject, and working with it too much without some kind of internal ego barrier like a pseudonym could be really dangerous. 

I tend not to think about horrorology unless I'm thinking as Sigmatic.

Adios

Luna

Quote from: Charley Brown on March 02, 2011, 08:55:39 PM
I yam who I yam. Is that bad?

Nope.  Me, I'm still re-figuring out who I am. 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Adios

Quote from: Luna on March 02, 2011, 09:13:32 PM

:lulz: Not all it's cracked up to be!  :lulz:

Luna

Quote from: Charley Brown on March 02, 2011, 09:43:35 PM
Quote from: Luna on March 02, 2011, 09:13:32 PM

:lulz: Not all it's cracked up to be!  :lulz:

Probably not, but necessary.   The removal of one person from my life should not result in me feeling totally adrift, no matter WHO it was.  I'm getting my bearings back, but it's a process.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Richter

Outside observations:

TGRR:  Generally trying to inspire, improve, or work on people.  The Good Reverend preaches and tries to inspire change and betterment in his own way.  Take a grumpy old Irish priest.  The kind that will thump you with a shaleleigh for blashpheming, but has been trapped in a horrible desert grappling with teh reality of god being a devouring force that makes a shoggoth look like a toy poodle.  There's no dissilusionment, just the will to kick people's asses in to proper Spiritual LightTM.  

Dok Howl:  Some men just want to watch the world burn...
Clinical detatchment taken to the hillarious extreme.  Not that he'll leave compatriots out to dry, or throw decent cohorts or nurses under a buss, but everything else is fair game.  Infectious excitement dragging "Academic curiosity" into realms normally reserved for "Morbid fascination".  The big grin and the twinkling gaze are sure signs the Doktor is IN.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Phox

Quote from: Richter on March 02, 2011, 10:05:19 PM
Outside observations:

TGRR:  Generally trying to inspire, improve, or work on people.  The Good Reverend preaches and tries to inspire change and betterment in his own way.  Take a grumpy old Irish priest.  The kind that will thump you with a shaleleigh for blashpheming, but has been trapped in a horrible desert grappling with teh reality of god being a devouring force that makes a shoggoth look like a toy poodle.  There's no dissilusionment, just the will to kick people's asses in to proper Spiritual LightTM.  

Dok Howl:  Some men just want to watch the world burn...
Clinical detatchment taken to the hillarious extreme.  Not that he'll leave compatriots out to dry, or throw decent cohorts or nurses under a buss, but everything else is fair game.  Infectious excitement dragging "Academic curiosity" into realms normally reserved for "Morbid fascination".  The big grin and the twinkling gaze are sure signs the Doktor is IN.

I've noticed that too.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I think both have taught me more than I ever thought I'd want to know.

:lulz:

Aso... what LMNO said!!

navkat

Bump because I have always done this but now I have a mnemonic: "reality tunnels," to apply to this.