News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

What's this all about?

Started by Doktor Howl, August 13, 2010, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

This subforum is for the study of horror as it relates to the 21st century, though historical examples are also welcome.  For a definition of horror, see "Fear, Loathing, and Horror".  Please note that this is not a dumping ground for news stories about bad shit happening, unless that bad shit is horror (as defined in the noted thread), rather than fear or loathing.

For example, a story on child soldiers is a loathing thing, and properly belongs in Aneristic Illusions.  On the other hand, a story detailing the fact that the "missing" oil from the BP spill is now UNDER the surface of the beaches affected would probably count as horror.  A story about banking malfeasance doesn't belong here, but a story like the fact that the banks took the bailout money and bought T-bills (thus collecting interest on the loan that WE gave THEM) does. 

We're also not looking for bigfoot articles or UFO theories, unless bigfoot has been DOCUMENTED flying the UFO and torching Los Angeles, and there's a scorched crater to prove it.  General conspiracy theories belong in High Weirdness.

Read the definitions before posting.  Expanding on definitions is desirable, if there's something worth adding, but beyond that, fear and loathing belong elsewhere.  They're easy to find, and would offer only distraction.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

So "horror" would be something that could potentially fuck up a lot of people and will in time, not just something "horrifying" like that woman in Ireland who died from dogsex?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on March 21, 2012, 03:35:30 AM
So "horror" would be something that could potentially fuck up a lot of people and will in time, not just something "horrifying" like that woman in Ireland who died from dogsex?

No, "horror" is something - good or bad - that stands outside of the perceived natural order of things.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Whaaaaaaat? :vom:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is actually probably the most useful sub of the century.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nigel on March 21, 2012, 03:38:18 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/08/woman-dies-allergic-sex-with-dog_n_893509.html

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on March 21, 2012, 03:39:57 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 21, 2012, 03:38:18 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/08/woman-dies-allergic-sex-with-dog_n_893509.html

See, for MOST people, this would indeed be horror.

But I live in Tucson, so it's more of a loathing thing.  We have hardcore perverts here.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

:horrormirth:

On the upside, I still have a couple of delicate sensibilities left!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on March 21, 2012, 04:10:18 AM
Oh, humanity. Sigh.

It's like I was born just outside of a sideshow, with a ticket in my hand.   :lulz:
Molon Lube