News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Optics experiment

Started by Jasper, March 09, 2011, 03:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

I have read that if you wear glasses that flip everything upside down, your brain will start to correct it.  And that if you take the glasses off, your vision will be upside down for a brief period.

I want to try this.  Can anyone point me in the right direction Re: equipment?

Elder Iptuous

i have heard that as well, but, like you, lack the optics to do it.
i believe it, however, because there is an optical illusion that i tried once that has you focusing on horizontal lines with bold color fields in green and vertical lines with red fields (or something like that).  you go through this rigmarole for 15 minutes or something, and it has a lasting effect on your vision. as in, you look at something with vertical lines and it has a tint to it 24 hours after you've done this thing.
really kind of freaky.
love me some surprising illusions.
if you figure out how to do it well, i definitely want to hear!

Requia ☣

Be aware it'll take 2-3 weeks for you to adjust to the optics, that's a fair bit of time spent bumping into shit.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

That long? 

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=127812

Just found that.  They're talking one week.  I'd be up for that, perhaps after I've finished my degree.  I can read upside down, no reason I can't flip my hand eye coordination similarly.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 09, 2011, 04:05:28 AM
That long? 

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=127812

Just found that.  They're talking one week.  I'd be up for that, perhaps after I've finished my degree.  I can read upside down, no reason I can't flip my hand eye coordination similarly.

3-4 weeks is what the original paper said, can't remember the citation though sorry (can't be what they cite at the forum, the original was in German, also that guy didn't push it to the point that he had trouble after taking them off, though hey, he started adapting after just three days, that isn't bad).

Jasper

Maybe it fluctuates a lot from person to person.  Otherwise it's hard to explain such a huge discrepancy between reports.

Requia ☣

Jasper

Now I've heard some people say one week, and some people report 3-4 weeks.  That seems like something of a wide variation.  I'm wondering aloud what could cause such a thing, other than individual traits that some people might have.  Or perhaps there's a rate of acclimation based on different methods/technologies used.

LMNO

I wonder if there's a way to flip things Left to Right instead of up and down.

Jasper

I know no reason why not... 

Unless the vertical switching has something to do with the way the brain has to transform the optical signals.

Elder Iptuous

being too lazy to read the linked articles, do any of them explain whether it is a sudden flip, or some strange process of acclimation?

Jasper

The actual experiential quality is what I haven't heard much of.  I want to observe it. 

Requia ☣

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 09, 2011, 11:16:47 PM
Now I've heard some people say one week, and some people report 3-4 weeks.  That seems like something of a wide variation.  I'm wondering aloud what could cause such a thing, other than individual traits that some people might have.  Or perhaps there's a rate of acclimation based on different methods/technologies used.

I think it might have to do with what level is considered 'finished' the 2-3 weeks is for things to progress to the point that taking them off causes eyesight to appear reversed again.  Adaptation within a week seems reasonable based on some of the other reports I've read, but you won't have any trouble taking them off.

Triple Zero

I remember seeing a short video clip about this when I was a kid. As far as I remember, the glasses were shaped like a long isosceles triangle.

I dunno how they worked, maybe something with mirror-coating on the insides?

The rest of the clip showed the man wearing them trying to catch a (helium) balloon, but reaching down, or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.