I.. I think I'm in love with this woman..

Started by Disco Pickle, March 10, 2011, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2011, 02:29:25 AM
Her style reminds me of the early Violent Acres, only somewhat more so.  And more sweary.  V, even when mercilessly trolling "mommybloggers" (an incident which still makes certain bloggers cringe), kept a certain level of politeness about her.

Well, except when she photoshopped one of the kids who had chocolate smeared all over their face with poo in their hand.

But to be fair, if you're profiting off your children on the internet, you are asking for trouble.

Disco Pickle

I'm only up to page 10 of 87..  not a single page has disappointed.

I would have her babies. 
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Subtract Eight!

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 10, 2011, 06:10:54 PM
Sweet Eris they just keep getting better the deeper I get.   

Do you look forward to the extinction of humankind? I sure do, I feel like the most beautiful thing that humans could achieve would be to finally die off and let the good earth try to heal itself. When I say this to close family members they never agree and sometimes are angry at me, calling me morbid. There isn't anything more morbid than our species smothering and poisoning every other one on the planet. I'm not worried about being judged, just worried about those who are reproducing and those who want to cure major human diseases.

The good earth? You fucking idiot. The earth is an ethically inert mud ball hurtling around an amoral little star in an infinitely vast universe that is neither good nor evil. On a geological time scale, the measurable effect of our species on the planet is an insignificant burp.

It takes the human condition to color the world with value judgments, and yours are self-hating and silly. Besides, we're not going to make it anyway. Not at our current stage of evolution, and certainly not if we stick around this corner of the solar system. 99.9% of all species that have ever existed on earth are now extinct, and one day we will be too. We aren't that fucking special.

Does that mean we should wish for our annihilation? Fuck no. Only arrogant malcontents think like that. All you're doing is projecting your own self loathing onto a species-centric world view, one that's no different from the ignorant fucks who think we were put on the planet to rule over the animals.

Humanity is a fleeting and beautiful experience, the sum total of which probably won't count for shit in the long run. So what? Don't resent your species. It's a wasted emotion based on a primitive way of thinking.

If you really look forward to the extinction of humankind, then do your part and kill yourself. Otherwise, shut the fuck up and enjoy the ride.
Love this one. Absolutely.
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

She deleted a critical comment I made.

:lulz:

Namely, that her opening line in the On Classy and Trashy post just sounded like utter bullshit. The rest of it was pretty good, but that opener just reeks of pretentious garbage.

Odd, considering how right on the money she is about just about everything....
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Disco Pickle

More choice bits.  

QuoteI've been reading your blog several months now, and I noticed that you often explain things in two ways that seem somewhat contradictory.

You write, "Anyone with the slightest sense of scale recognizes that nothing we do matters. In a universe so infinitely vast, our lives are entirely without meaning. The trick is being able to laugh at the abyss because you recognize the freedom it affords you," but you also say things like in the last post about the importance of integrity.

I really am not attacking what you say, because I agree with both. I just am wondering how you (and I) can reconcile those two seemingly contradictory things. How can someone do whatever the hell they want, but with integrity? Isn't that lawyer who works against gay marriage just doing whatever the hell he wants, because it pays the bill and "nothing we do matters"?

Honestly, I'm not sticking up for that person or trying to defend him, because I think that his job is pretty disgusting. But how can something be morally inappropriate through a nihilistic lens?

Just because nothing matters, that doesn't mean you get to be a dick.

Nihilism isn't moral relativism. The freedom that comes from embracing your insignificance has no bearing on morality. You're still a human being. You still have a conscience. You are still obligated to play well with others.

Nobody gets to do whatever the hell they want. We live in a world filled with traffic lights and tax forms, and only sociopaths think their personal philosophy somehow nullifies the social contract.

There is no contradiction, because your universal insignificance itself becomes insignificant when faced with the day to day pursuit of happiness.

Shit doesn't have to matter in any grand scheme for you to be a good person leading a happy life. It's like, the impending abyss is always there, but fuck it.

Be cool and have a sandwich.

QuoteRealising your complete and utter insignificance in the grand scheme of things. Wisdom or depression?

Freedom.

I've been wondering — what do you think on not laughing when somebody tells a joke concerning a subject you find is touchy/taboo? Like about the Holocaust or domestic violence or stuff like that?

What did Hitler say to the Jewish woman with two black eyes?

Quoteisn't cocaine illegal? then how do you do drugs, openly advertise the fact that you are taking an illegal narcotic on the internet, and get away with it?

Get away with it? Fuck you. May no vehicle in which you travel ever go faster than the posted speed limit. May you be audited by the IRS every year. May you live your entire life and never break a single rule or law, be it for sodomy, loitering, or walking on the grass.

I wish that for you and everyone like you who thinks that in a free society, someone like me should have to be getting away with it.

QuoteDo you owe your close friends the duty of telling them that the guy they are dating is a bratty man child? Or do you allow them to make their own choices?

You owe your close friends the duty of not being a cunt. Good luck.

So you support Assange? I'm no Republican, but America is the only country in the world that would put up with this. Anywhere else, they'd put a bullet in the back of his head. And they should.

A bullet in the back of his head? Fuck you. Assange is at the vanguard of a new form of revolution where all the bullets in the world won't mean shit.

Maybe you're too shortsighted to recognize the magnitude of this controversy, but what we're witnessing cuts to the core of the American experiment. They said the revolution wouldn't be televised, and they were right. That shit's gonna be downloaded.

Everyone is screaming about whether WikiLeaks deserves First Amendment protection. Fuck that argument. I say it deserves Second Amendment protection, because in this day and age, the right of the people to keep and bear arms depends on what you're calling a weapon.

Quite frankly, it doesn't matter whether I support Assange. Mine and everyone else's opinion of him is immaterial. That's the point. WikiLeaks is an important and dangerous societal tool that can't be unmachined. It's out there, and it's bigger than any one man.

Besides, the state knows better than to make a martyr out of Assange when it can just destroy his reputation.

QuoteI've always been fairly "square" but I'm getting into my prescription drugs. Not abusing them...just using them a little more than I need. Am I on the highway to hell or stairway to heaven?

You're on the escalator to hyperbole.

QuoteDo you feel that making life decisions that aren't necessarily the best for you but best for your relationship can ever be justified?

Sure, all day long. It's called codependency. Have fun!

QuoteWhy is it seemingly impossible for me to quit smoking, exercise, drink less alcohol, and eat less food? What is my goddamn problem?

You're lazy and you lack discipline.

Right when I'm super close to coming, I always have these really weird and fucked up imaginations pop into my mind, and sometimes my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend also comes into the picture. And then it delays the coming process and it takes me forever. What the fuck am I supposed to do? What does this mean?

Go back and read your question over again, only this time, read it in the nebbishy, hand-wringing voice of Woody Allen.

Did you read it in Woody Allen's voice? Good, because that's pretty much how you sound. Yeah, that's right. You're Woody Allen with a vagina. Does your boyfriend know he's basically fucking Woody Allen? I bet if he did, it'd take him forever to cum too.

Oh, and guess what? Now that I've planted that shit in your head, Woody Allen is gonna haunt your orgasms for the rest of your life.

Just kidding. Woody Allen won't haunt your orgasms. Actually, all those crazy thoughts will pop into your head during sex just like they always do, only this time you'll suddenly be picturing Woody Allen fucking your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, and after that, everything will be fine.

Did you see Inception? That shit is for real, bitch.

Happy Hanukkah, Woody.

QuoteShould I get implants?

Big decision. You should probably flip a coin.

QuoteWhat's your opinion of Adolous Huxley's Brand New World? I just finished reading it and I'm curious as to your opinion of it.

Sweetheart, it's Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, and if you just finished reading it, then I'm terribly worried that you may have just proven his entire point. Oh, the horrifying irony.

QuoteDo you think crying is a sign of weakness?

No. Crying is a sign of emotion.

QuoteI'm a girl. tell me how you would fuck me.

Girl or guy, I just start with your mind and move downward.

HELP. I'm talking to an Ayn Rand bot. He's an intelligent human being for the most part, just one of the many that have been sucked up into her selfish little vaccuum of self important motives. What is your opinion of Ayn Rand? What would you say to someone drinking her kool-aid? Much Appreciated.

I've said it before. I consider Rand and her philosophy to be the epistemological equivalent of methadone. A controlled dose of objectivism is a hell of a lot better than the dirty street junk most people shoot into their arms, but it's still no way to live.

No doubt your friend is an intelligent person. Most people who bother to pick up a book these days are above average, and nobody goes hot tubbing with Ayn Rand without first peeling off their Sunday School clothes.

Still, she's an easy trap. Her philosophy is very simple to grasp, and it's incredibly satisfying to the ego. It's candy being sold as health food, so naturally people gobble it up.

At its best, objectivism is a gateway philosophy. It's epistemology with training wheels, the stuff teenagers read before moving on to the real thing.

At its worst, selfish assholes latch on to her value system of ethical egoism and rational self interest, and they get absolutely giddy with what they perceive to be her rejection of altruism. Their surface interpretation of her moral code gives them every excuse to be narcissistic pricks who pride themselves on taking without giving.

What they fundamentally misunderstand, and to an extent what Rand herself misunderstood, is that an ethical system based on living for the sake of one's self as opposed to living for the sake of others is completely missing the point. There is no self. There is no other.

Obviously, if you start talking to a selfish asshole about egoless notions of one love or one universal consciousness, he's just gonna shake his head and think you're a new-age fruitcake. It's a total fucking waste of time. After all, using mind-based arguments to try and rationally convince an ego that it doesn't exist is impossible. This is why you're gonna have trouble sobering up someone who's been drinking kool-aid from the Fountainhead.

Still, the fundamental flaw in Rand's thinking is that she was never able to separate ego from consciousness. She confused and combined those two inherently different philosophical constructs. I'll spare you her metaphysical hoop-jumping, but her entire world view is based on the faulty ego-biased premise of our isolated individuality.

Sure, we're each individuals. We're born, we live, and we die as discrete units of self, but her philosophy places such primacy on egoism that the whole exercise becomes childish. She presents an "every man for himself" mentality, heroizes the individual, and then narratively extends the positive benefits of her philosophy to its illogical yet idealized conclusion.

I'll happily concede that on a primal level, operating from a position of rational self-interest is perfectly acceptable. The law of the jungle never really ceases to apply, and there is no doubt a certain kind of virtue in selfishness, but none of it will get you higher than the first couple of rungs on Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

They say man cannot live on bread alone. Well, man cannot find happiness, much less enlightenment, on rational self interest alone, regardless of how ethical. This isn't about proving Rand wrong. It's about showing your friend that objectivism is an incomplete philosophy.

Quite simply, there is more.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Eater of Clowns

"drinking kool-aid from the Fountainhead" isn't one I've heard before, and an excellent way of describing Randroids.  Anyone know if that's a common phrase or is that one hers?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Luna

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 15, 2011, 06:05:24 PM
"drinking kool-aid from the Fountainhead" isn't one I've heard before, and an excellent way of describing Randroids.  Anyone know if that's a common phrase or is that one hers?

Seems to be hers, a quick Google shows it only in the context of her response.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Disco Pickle

I bumped this in the event no one had gotten 20 pages deep and found this little gem.

i've spent a lot of my day thinking about what i want to say about this, since i saw it on my dash earlier.

here is where this argument goes spectacularly, blindingly, gloriously flamingly wrong:

words are actions.

there is no such thing as the thought police in the real world, because nobody can possibly know what you're thinking, or control it. in fact, i'm a big proponent of not condemning people for what's inside their head; my thoughts are pretty fucking impure and judgmental a lot of the time.

where you go wrong is when you open your mouth and turn your hurtful thoughts into words.

using the word "retard" to mean stupid or bad or wrong is A SLUR. there is no way around it. you are equating a word that means "a person with mental handicaps" with "something that sucks." if you take away the idea that a mentally disabled person is stupid, the word simply has no punch: it relies on this assumption, however buried.

and when you use it so casually, someone else comes along and reads it and unconsciously absorbs it into the acceptable vocabulary of their world, too. and then they casually repeat it again later, in part because they saw you use it and it was okay. and then it's repeated again. and again. it becomes part of our lexicon as a culture by insidious, subtle, unthinking repetition. nobody thinks that "my words rang forth across the internet, and now somewhere there's a classroom full of special ed kids crying into their helmets because I used the word retarded." that's patently absurd.

and words like cunt, nigger, faggot, and retard do not have power when somebody who is not marginalized by them uses them to mean something negative. unless you are, respectively, a woman, a Black person, a queer person, or a mentally disabled person — AND USING THEM TO REFER TO YOURSELF ALONE — you are not giving these words power by using them. you are reinforcing the exact fucking reasons that they are harmful. you are part of the problem. you are actively working against the solution. i reject your claim that "not one of us cunts, niggers, faggots, or retards is ever above catching a little shit." without identifying with these words and using them to self-identify, you are not part of the 'us.'

hate speech can be insidious. it does not have to be somebody screaming at you on the street. it can be hearing someone casually call a guy a faggot just because they don't like him. it can be hearing somebody call their friend retarded for making a small mistake. it's hearing a word that refers to you used to insult somebody else.

you do not act in a vacuum. your words are powerful. they are your actions. and you may "know your heart" and you may be "putting pen to paper with a pure heart," and guess what? that gay man still isn't going to feel better because your intentions were pure. that mentally disabled person isn't going to feel more accepted because you were fine with what you said.

fuck you too. fuck you right in the face.

You make a strong argument, quite noble in its intentions, and I respect you for being one of the few people to take the time to respond with such eloquence to what I knew would ultimately be a very controversial post.

In fact, I would right now at your request be fucking myself in the face if it weren't for one very important thing:

Words are not actions.

It's clear that you spectacularly, blindingly, gloriously, and flamingly disagree, but I must insist. Words are not actions. They are not even intentions. Words are merely symbols, ones that have no inherent meaning until they are imbued with definition by both the writer and her reader.

My point here isn't to shift the argument from sociology to semiotics, not at all. It's just that your entire argument is based on that simple premise, and I'm sorry, but you've built a castle on sand.

A lot of your anger and rage is based on the assumption that powerful and loaded words like nigger and faggot can only be used for harm unless they are being "taken back" by those they marginalize. I couldn't disagree more.

That kind of thinking is short-sighted and self-limiting, and of course, it's reinforced by your mistaken belief that words are actions when really they are beautiful and dangerous symbols with a rich history, a unique etymology, and a potential for poetry that people like you ignore for the sake of politics.

I'm not going to deny how inflammatory those words can be. Only an idiot would suggest that those words don't come with the power to inflict a great deal of emotional damage, but come on, man. Fire is hot. Knives are sharp. A great many things in this world can inflict pain, but not all of us are arsonists and slashers. Some of us are just chefs at Benihana.

It's not that I don't understand where you're coming from. You and those like you have been trained by every liberal arts professor from here to Boston to pounce on these hot-button words in the name of ending oppression. Shit, it's practically a Pavlovian response, but the words themselves are not the problem. They are not the action. The underlying intent is what's important. How and why was the symbol used? Did it inflict harm? Was it deliberate? Accidental? And of course, this is where things get sticky.

Now, did I get letters from people with mentally retarded siblings who were offended? Absolutely. Did I also get letters from people with mentally retarded siblings who were overwhelmed with joy that I finally put into words how they felt about this kind of shit? Quite a few more, actually.

That's the sticky part, because who among us ultimately gets to determine what's offensive?

Had I used the phrase "are you a fucking moron" instead of "are you fucking retarded," no one would have said shit in the first place. Here's the thing, though. Both of those words define the exact the same mental condition, and by your logic, both of them are therefore slurs. Clearly then, we live in a world where some words are deemed more acceptable than others.

So I ask you again, who gets to determine the acceptable vocabulary? This is where I draw my line in the sand. I refuse to allow anyone else to determine for me what is acceptable language. I won't ever let anyone ban words. Call it the thought police. Call it private censorship. Call it whatever you like, but nobody gets to chip away at my lexicon.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone may freely choose for themselves what they deem to be acceptable language. Yeah, I know. This is where all you ethnic and gender studies majors start screaming about privilege, but I'm sorry, a lot of you twits are confusing privilege and freedom. When I say everyone is entitled, I mean everyone. Equally.

When I say I have a pure heart, it's because I do. I'm not a hateful person, but that doesn't mean I'm not fully aware of how much shit I talk. I know damn well my language is offensive to some, but I fully understand both the implications and the consequences.

In other words, tough shit. I'm okay with it. Does that make me an asshole? For some, yes. The worst kind. If you are one of those people, so be it. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion.

I will say this though, to all the people who sent crazy hate mail, it is my sincerest hope that you eventually learn to chill the fuck out. After all, I'm a ridiculous target for your anger.

Nobody wants to be around someone who's constantly offended.

Lighten the fuck up.

BadBeast

She's fucking spot on every time. As George Carlin said, it's all down to context.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZCS5I80X-8
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Disco Pickle

Quote from: BadBeast on April 01, 2011, 03:21:24 AM
She's fucking spot on every time. As George Carlin said, it's all down to context.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZCS5I80X-8

I knee-jerk posted it when I finished it, then found the origin post a couple of posts down on the same page:

QuoteIn response to your response to the "guys as the key and girls as the lock thing". I think your response was really brilliant, but I want to bring up one problem I caught. Using the word "retarded" is damaging. I understand that you were trying to state that the person who said this "simile" was being ignorant and a jack ass (as well as his friend for thinking it was "cute") but using such a word is really demeaning to persons that are actually mentally handicapped. It's ironic because you talk so strongly about how wrong this statement is but then use a mental condition as an insult. Please don't take my comment as trying to be rude or down-play you; I respect your post but I don't think using language like "retarded" (or "lame" or "gay", as other examples) is really effective in getting your point across.

Yeah. Shame on me. I used the word retarded, and because of that, right now up in heaven a little angel with down syndrome won't be getting its wings.

Fuck you. I mean it. Fuck you right in the face.

You are a member of the thought police, and you are the fucking enemy. Well guess what? I won't let you shape my language. I won't let you shape my thoughts.

I know myself. I know my heart. I know my language. I know all the delicious and powerful words that scare pathetic and weak-minded fucks like you.

Words like cunt, nigger, faggot, and retard.

Dangerous words. Loaded words. Beautiful words that the easily offended would ban and burn like books if you could. You realize that's what you are, right? A hypervigilant book burner. Except you're worse. You do it on the linguistic level, one word at a time in the name of someone else's hurt feelings because you're too warped to tell the difference between an ameliorated pejorative and actual hate speech.

Well fuck that and fuck you. You don't get to set the standards. You don't get to deem appropriateness. As long as I'm putting pen to paper with a pure heart, you don't get to say shit.

How dare you accuse me of damage? As if my words rang forth across the internet, and now somewhere there's a classroom full of special ed kids crying into their helmets because I used the word retarded. Oh, please.

You know what's really damaging? Having someone rush to their defense demanding special treatment for their delicate sensibilities. Fuck that shit. I'm not the one making a big deal about being mentally handicapped. You are.

You're the one who's being demeaning, not me. You're the one acting out of fear, not me. You're the problem, not me. I love my language — all of it — and I won't let easily offended, self appointed thought police tell me how to use it.

I strongly suggest you lighten the fuck up, because it's not political correctness that's ultimately going to bring us all together. It's having the good sense to recognize actual hate speech when we hear it, and having the good sense of humor to recognize that not one of us cunts, niggers, faggots, or retards is ever above catching a little shit.

BadBeast

It speaks volumes about her that she's not just Trolling the general public, but she actually gives a fuck. Rare to find a truthspeaker like that. I'd use her shit for toothpaste.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Disco Pickle

Quote from: BadBeast on April 01, 2011, 03:37:47 AM
It speaks volumes about her that she's not just Trolling the general public, but she actually gives a fuck. Rare to find a truthspeaker like that. I'd use her shit for toothpaste.

:lulz: :lulz:

I'd have probably never admitted as much until I read what you wrote, but yeah..

She has a way of cutting through the shit and laying it all out in a way that is both disarming, insightful, and incredibly attractive.

Vaud

After reading everything in this thread, I need to get back to work, but hot damn!  I'm hooked.  She's fantastic!
"Gee. He was just here a minute ago." -GC

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 12, 2011, 06:13:44 PM
I want to cut and paste like a quarter of humankind and replace them all with her.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

bored @ work.  found this on page 24:

QuoteDid you know that you're #23 in the Top 100 Sex Bloggers of 2010?

Holy shit. Had no idea. Pretty cool: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma