News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

I.. I think I'm in love with this woman..

Started by Disco Pickle, March 10, 2011, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I liked this one.

QuoteHello Dear Coke Talk, I have been following you since before you created a seperate tumblr, and I enjoy the cut-throat advice and wisdom you provide, and the aid you have given me indirectly through this blog.

But, I have a question/comment for you. In some of your posts you speak very negatively of religion. You've touched on the close mindedness of Christians.

My question for you is this, isn't kind of close minded to lump and entire group of people like that? I am a Christian, but I don't think less of people based on their own religious beliefs or who they go to bed with at night.

I'm not trying to show you that every Christian has an open mind. You and I both know that a majority of people in the Christian faith are what you assume them to be. Heck, I even assume them to be close minded.

What I am getting at is that there are Christians out there who are open-minded. Not all of us are alike.

Sure. Not all of you are alike, but what every practicing Christian has in common is enough for me to lump you all together and think less of you.

I don't have to respect your beliefs. Respect is earned, sweetie.

That's not close minded of me, by the way. I'm educated in comparative religion. I have the Bible, the Qur'an, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Tao Te Ching all next to one another on one of my bookshelves. Can you say that?

I doubt you've even taken the time to critically examine your own religion's sacred texts beyond whatever Sunday school fantasy-adventure ride you were strapped down for as a child. Even if you have, you still identify as a believer, and all that tells me is that you aren't enough of a rational thinker to separate myth from reality.

Listen, I get that you're asking me for a Christian hall pass. You want me to wink and nod and tell you that you're one of the good ones because you don't think less of me for my lifestyle. Well, no. It doesn't work like that.

You're not doing me any favors by not condemning me. That sentiment isn't an expression of open-mindedness. It's an expression of tolerance, and you know what? Fuck your tolerance. I don't need it.

You have a holier-than-thou attitude. Literally. Do you understand how condescending it is to be tolerated by someone like you? I don't owe you respect just because you smile and pretend to show me some.

Part of the problem here is that you're missing the point about what it means to be open minded. As a Christian, you've co-opted a set of canned answers to life's greatest mysteries. It's bullshit.

You don't know any more about the nature of the universe than I do. All you've done is surrendered your rational thought to an ancient cult in exchange for peace of mind. That is inherently close minded.

Right now, all you've got is the potential for an open mind. Start asking questions. Examine your religion with a critical mind. Stop fearing the unknowable. Open yourself up to all possibilities and never surrender your rational thought.

Hopefully, you'll stop being afraid of the insignificance of your life and the inevitability of your death, and you won't need an imaginary friend in the sky to tell you everything will be all right.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on April 05, 2011, 02:04:28 AM
I liked this one.

QuoteHello Dear Coke Talk, I have been following you since before you created a seperate tumblr, and I enjoy the cut-throat advice and wisdom you provide, and the aid you have given me indirectly through this blog.

But, I have a question/comment for you. In some of your posts you speak very negatively of religion. You've touched on the close mindedness of Christians.

My question for you is this, isn't kind of close minded to lump and entire group of people like that? I am a Christian, but I don't think less of people based on their own religious beliefs or who they go to bed with at night.

I'm not trying to show you that every Christian has an open mind. You and I both know that a majority of people in the Christian faith are what you assume them to be. Heck, I even assume them to be close minded.

What I am getting at is that there are Christians out there who are open-minded. Not all of us are alike.

Sure. Not all of you are alike, but what every practicing Christian has in common is enough for me to lump you all together and think less of you.

That's not close minded of me, by the way. I'm educated in comparative religion. I have the Bible, the Qur'an, the Bhagavad Gita, and the Tao Te Ching all next to one another on one of my bookshelves. Can you say that?

I doubt you've even taken the time to critically examine your own religion's sacred texts beyond whatever Sunday school fantasy-adventure ride you were strapped down for as a child. Even if you have, you still identify as a believer, and all that tells me is that you aren't enough of a rational thinker to separate myth from reality.

Listen, I get that you're asking me for a Christian hall pass. You want me to wink and nod and tell you that you're one of the good ones because you don't think less of me for my lifestyle. Well, no. It doesn't work like that.

You're not doing me any favors by not condemning me. That sentiment isn't an expression of open-mindedness. It's an expression of tolerance, and you know what? Fuck your tolerance. I don't need it.

You have a holier-than-thou attitude. Literally. Do you understand how condescending it is to be tolerated by someone like you? I don't owe you respect just because you smile and pretend to show me some.

Part of the problem here is that you're missing the point about what it means to be open minded. As a Christian, you've co-opted a set of canned answers to life's greatest mysteries. It's bullshit.

You don't know any more about the nature of the universe than I do. All you've done is surrendered your rational thought to an ancient cult in exchange for peace of mind. That is inherently close minded.

Right now, all you've got is the potential for an open mind. Start asking questions. Examine your religion with a critical mind. Stop fearing the unknowable. Open yourself up to all possibilities and never surrender your rational thought.

Hopefully, you'll stop being afraid of the insignificance of your life and the inevitability of your death, and you won't need an imaginary friend in the sky to tell you everything will be all right.

I like how she says he's being condescending, but then herself was entirely condescending the entire time.  Says Christians are all holier-than-thou, and then goes on to be all more-well-read-than-thou about her bookcase, calls him close-minded based entirely on her assumptions about what she thinks he believes...

That's the post that lost me any respect for her.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I know you're all enamored with this woman, but I can't help but take her down a few notches. Two to be exact: one for pretentious bullshit and one for deleting my critical comment, which was not remotely abusive, only critical of her ideas.

On classy and trashy.

People constantly quote you for your definition of cheating, but what are your definitions for classy and trashy? You seem classy, but you've had life experiences that some of the more narrow minded populace would consider quite the opposite. How do you define those things?

Classy and trashy are objective manifestations of opposing states of mind that exist across a subjective spectrum of aesthetic sophistication.

These objective manifestations aren't classy or trashy within themselves. They require contextualization within an aesthetic framework.

For instance, Britney Spears sporting fishnets and a top hat is inevitably trashy, whereas Madonna rocking out the exact same outfit is classy as fuck.

Now, is this due to either woman's money, talent, or beauty? No, not at all. You're missing the point if you think like that. Those things have no direct correlation to aesthetic sophistication, and while money, talent, and beauty may make it easier to develop and express aesthetic sophistication, they also make it easier to express a blatant lack of it.

This isn't just about fashion, by the way. The same holds true across the entire range of aesthetic endeavors — design, music, architecture, the visual and performing arts, even culinary aesthetics.

Come on, it doesn't take much to know that Anthony Bourdain is all class and Rachael Ray is nothing but trash.

Okay, so all aesthetics fit into your bullshit spectrum of classy and trashiness? "Manifestations of states of mind"? "Aesthetic sophistication"? "Aesthetic framework"? Horse shit. The only useful parts about this are the remark about context defining aesthetics and classy and trashy qualities having nothing to do with wealth.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jasper

"Shady advice from a raging bitch who has no business answering any of these questions."

I see no problem here.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on April 05, 2011, 02:51:32 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on April 05, 2011, 02:04:28 AM
I liked this one.

I like how she says he's being condescending, but then herself was entirely condescending the entire time.  Says Christians are all holier-than-thou, and then goes on to be all more-well-read-than-thou about her bookcase, calls him close-minded based entirely on her assumptions about what she thinks he believes...

That's the post that lost me any respect for her.

I agree man, she made all sorts of assumptions and generally came off as a hypocritical twunt. I started to lose respect for her after that post.

I lost most of my respect for her when she deleted my comment though.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Ah, the inevitable backlash.

ETA:  If she deleted a comment, though, then the backlash is probably warranted.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 05, 2011, 03:01:22 AM
"Shady advice from a raging bitch who has no business answering any of these questions."

I see no problem here.

Yep.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Wizard

This woman is amazing! I mean, deleting NET's post is an asshole move, but it doesn't nullify  how kickass this is.

Insanity we trust.

Phox

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on April 05, 2011, 04:06:52 AM
This woman is amazing! I mean, deleting NET's post is an asshole move, but it doesn't nullify  how kickass this is.

Meh. I'll give her 60-40.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on April 05, 2011, 04:07:37 AM
Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on April 05, 2011, 04:06:52 AM

Meh. I'll give her 60-40.

She still scores 169% with me, for the herpes response.

But she's a hater, so naturally I'm biased.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard

She speaks painful, ugly Truth at people. So I'll give her a fair bit of slack before I write her off. Such people are far too rare.
Insanity we trust.

Phox

Eh. I think she barks up the wrong tree on occasion. Though, I do tend to like her most of the time.

The Wizard

QuoteEh. I think she barks up the wrong tree on occasion.

Everyone does eventually.
Insanity we trust.

Phox

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on April 05, 2011, 04:14:16 AM
QuoteEh. I think she barks up the wrong tree on occasion.

Everyone does eventually.
True 'nuff.

Jasper

My minimum standards of human conduct are inversely proportional to how harsh that person is to fools.