News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Serenity

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 31, 2011, 02:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Wasn't sure of the system you're using, so, winging it.  Also, not sure just how much you were intending on torturing the players. 

Here's a thought...  Late in the game, after they're good and paranoid...  Toss in a couple normal humans.  Lab techs, whatever.

No trick... except one of 'em has information that might make life a little easier...

And, of course, the party can't be sure if they're sane... and they sure don't know if the party's sane.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2011, 04:51:57 PM
Wasn't sure of the system you're using, so, winging it.  Also, not sure just how much you were intending on torturing the players. 

Here's a thought...  Late in the game, after they're good and paranoid...  Toss in a couple normal humans.  Lab techs, whatever.

No trick... except one of 'em has information that might make life a little easier...

And, of course, the party can't be sure if they're sane... and they sure don't know if the party's sane.

Deep Rising used that schtick.  Might be able to work that out.

Also, the station has to have a clue to the next adventure, which concerns alien ruins on one planet (hey, that weird fucking solar system CAN'T be natural, right?).
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Haven't seen Deep Rising.

Alien ruins?  Urm...  Your game, o'course, but one of the things I LIKED about Firefly/Serenity was that there WERE no aliens. 

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2011, 05:13:21 PM
Haven't seen Deep Rising.

Alien ruins?  Urm...  Your game, o'course, but one of the things I LIKED about Firefly/Serenity was that there WERE no aliens. 

1.  Rent it.  It's a really cheeseball monster flick from the 90s.

2.  Alien RUINS.  No aliens.  Another team racing to get there first, a billion year old defense system, and some fun alien tech to backfire play with.  It gives me a way to explain why such a bizarre solar system could exist.  It was engineered.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Movie night.   :D 

Even alien ruins would dent the 'verse for me, I'm afraid.  (And any hardcore Firefly/Serenity fans in the group might have the same twitch.)  That's what made the series DIFFERENT, yeah, space flight...  but just us humans, out there all alone.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of the alien defense system and tech to go kablooey is fun... but more suited to Star Trek than Serenity, IMHO. 

Just a flavor preference on my part... but you might want to get a feel for the players.  Some of 'em may have strong feelings on that one.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2011, 05:57:24 PM
Movie night.   :D 

Even alien ruins would dent the 'verse for me, I'm afraid.  (And any hardcore Firefly/Serenity fans in the group might have the same twitch.)  That's what made the series DIFFERENT, yeah, space flight...  but just us humans, out there all alone.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of the alien defense system and tech to go kablooey is fun... but more suited to Star Trek than Serenity, IMHO. 

Just a flavor preference on my part... but you might want to get a feel for the players.  Some of 'em may have strong feelings on that one.

The solar system known as the 'verse is already dented.  It could not have occurred naturally.

Besides, it's something to shoot at that isn't Reavers or Alliance Spags...AND it lets me inject a little mystery into the game.  Without that, it's nothing BUT six guns in space. 

Luna

Fair enuff.  Just pointing out where it might tweak your players.

Deviating from canon is always fun, but with the wrong players, they'll be so hung up on looking for a human explanation (since there ARE no aliens) that they might miss out.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2011, 06:12:53 PM
Fair enuff.  Just pointing out where it might tweak your players.

Deviating from canon is always fun, but with the wrong players, they'll be so hung up on looking for a human explanation (since there ARE no aliens) that they might miss out.

1.  They're not my players.  I'm writing this for another GM.  He can deal with the consequences.

2.  That's their lookout. 

Don Coyote

I thought a lot of the planets were terraformed ages ago by the first wave of settlers.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans eques on January 31, 2011, 08:43:53 PM
I thought a lot of the planets were terraformed ages ago by the first wave of settlers.

It's the positions of the planets that don't make any sense.  Google up an image of the 'verse.  Either it was engineered, or God was drunk that day.

Luna

Yeah, I've seen the map.  I'm betting Joss Whedon was just drunk.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2011, 08:51:06 PM
Quote from: Canis latrans eques on January 31, 2011, 08:43:53 PM

It's the positions of the planets that don't make any sense.  Google up an image of the 'verse.  Either it was engineered, or God was drunk that day.

The fucking crack smoking Buddha?

Aliens.

EHpplecore

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2011, 04:51:57 PM

Attempting to stop lurking and contribute... and also winging it...

Perhaps a couple of rooms/corridors of catatonic/harmlessly shambling humans that are 'activated' into raving psychotics after the players reach a certain point/perform a specific task.

Also, subdividing the station into a series of modules (command, docking, habitation, lab one, lab two, facilities, etc.) that have limited access to one another. As the players explore and open up hatches they release more and more reavers/mutants/etc and maybe cut off access to their ship/shuttle (space walk with a damaged space suit?) or forcing them into the air ducts/sewage system with lots of branching tunnels and ambush places.

A 'controller' personality (paranoid head of security, psychotic scientist protecting his 'creations', or a hostile AI) turning base facilities into an ad hoc defense system while barricaded in an initially inaccessible location, and taunting/raving at the players over the PA system. Opening and closing hatches, tweaking the artificial gravity, coordinating the attacks of cleaning and surgical bots, overloading circuit boxes, partially flooding rooms or corridors, and other nasty things with food, water, and waste products. soy protein 'waterfall' down a crucial tunnel or stair case, etc...

I hope this helps.

Wyldkat

Would people mind if i snagged some of this?  I started a Serenity campaign awhile back, but it died after the first night due to people moving unexpectedly and other randomness.  I'm working on starting up another and this is a beautiful idea... I still have the original campaign, but after that perhaps?