News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Religous Argumentationating

Started by pH, March 14, 2011, 10:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pH

So, I'm Wiccan
Aside from that, I like arguing religion in order to understand others beliefs.
No converting attempts, just arguments mixed with subtle and not-so-subtle insults.

So, assorted monotheists, atheists, polytheists and the like, what do you believe?

Oh, and Christians/Catholics/anything involving the Bible, the Bible is the miracle of circular logic. Don't quote it.

Rules:
1. No attacking people, just everything they believe in.
2. Logic, logic, and logic. If you can't at least pretend there is some vague semblance of logical thought, you lose.
3. Random interesting facts (meaning of a religious symbol, old forgotten knowledge about a religion, etc.) are good.
4. If you don't like it, leave.
This is a distraction.

QuoteTOMAHAWKS

Placid Dingo

You'll probably find a lot of Discordians here being a Discordian forum.

Also people round here get a bit antsy with rules bring imposed. Have a look around the forum to get a feel for style.

Also WTF to Christians not being able to use the bible? Go tell a scientist to explain evolution without using Darwin. The bible is fairly fundamental to Christianity.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Faust

I believe in religion, I encounter it on a frequent enough basis to be sure it exists.

Did you mean belief in a deity as opposed to religion?

I believe in the absence of any logical argument for or against a god or gods, I believe all evidence for is hearsay and that all evidence against is based off a very small limited scope of experience.

I know the term god is not defined. Each religion has its own interpretation of what that word means. In fact if you go into any small group within any one religion you will still get widely different views on what that word means. If you go down to any two people, chances are they have very different views on what that word means.
Thus I believe that the question "Is there a god" to be meaningless, an exercise in futility and having no scientific merit.

I have been accused of fence sitting for being agnostic but I would reject that, going so far as to say I'm a militant agnostic that rejects theism and atheism absolutely and sees agnosticism as the only possible answer.

In terms of religion as opposed to the deity question I feel religion and spirituality to be an important aspect in any life and can be available to anyone should they believe in a deity or not.

For this reason I have chosen Eris as my goddess, whom I worship not despite her lack of existence but because of it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Jasper

Richter

I believe these discussions, undertaken carelessly, are great ways to convince people to burn, torture, and nail each other to unusual things.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Phox

Quote from: Richter on March 14, 2011, 10:45:12 PM
I believe these discussions, undertaken carelessly, are great ways to convince people to burn, torture, and nail each other to unusual things.

I know where the hammer and the nails are, Richter. I also have a book of matches, a lighter, and several specialized implements of inquisition. Convince me.  :evil:

Faust

That's right actually this needs the warning as its one of those danger threads:

Lets not have a repeat of the last time this  came up.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Faust on March 14, 2011, 10:49:56 PM

Lets not have a repeat of the last time this[Wicca]  came up.

How many casualties were there?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Requia ☣

Quote from: pH on March 14, 2011, 10:12:11 PM
Rules:
1. No attacking people, just everything they believe in.
2. Logic, logic, and logic. If you can't at least pretend there is some vague semblance of logical thought, you lose.
3. Random interesting facts (meaning of a religious symbol, old forgotten knowledge about a religion, etc.) are good.
4. If you don't like it, leave.

you are sooo in the wrong place  :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Faust

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on March 14, 2011, 11:09:44 PM

Lets not have a repeat of the last time this[Wicca]  came up.

How many casualties were there?
See the what do you believe thread, nothing to do with wicca.

Would some of guys give this thread a little effort, its not a write off even if its a repeat.

pH

Dingo, I say not to use the bible because: The bible is absolute truth. How do we know? The bible is the word of god. How do we know? The bible says its the word of god. How do we know its right? Because its absolute truth. And so on.
Also, belief within Discordianism must vary to some extent.
Nailing people to things is fun, there is a reason nobody here will ever ever actually know my real name.
Rules are there just to avoid immediate raging.
Logic = "I believe x because y, this is how it makes sense to me" as opposed to "My priest/pastor/??? said x, so i said okay" or "x:xx says y, so it must be true"
Requia, kinda missed the irony in rule 1 that bypasses everything else, aaand the 4th one is a restatement of one of the overall rules for the forum.

Like I said and Faust repeated, this thread isnt about Wicca, its about what you people believe. I said I'm Wiccan (eclectic, so you still dont really know what i think past the general idea) just because.

This is a distraction.

QuoteTOMAHAWKS

Richter

Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 14, 2011, 10:49:05 PM

I know where the hammer and the nails are, Richter. I also have a book of matches, a lighter, and several specialized implements of inquisition. Convince me.  :evil:

Let me get my coat and my good hat  :fap: 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: pH on March 14, 2011, 10:12:11 PM
So, I'm Wiccan

This part made me not want to read anything else you have to say.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BabylonHoruv

That's right actually this needs the warning as its one of those danger threads:

Lets not have a repeat of the last time this  came up.

Last time I remember this coming up I ended up doing some sort of magical test, and also got really really sick.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Wizard

QuoteDingo, I say not to use the bible because: The bible is absolute truth. How do we know? The bible is the word of god. How do we know? The bible says its the word of god. How do we know its right? Because its absolute truth. And so on.

If Christians can't use the Bible, then to be fair Muslims can't use the Quran, Jews can't use the Torah, and Discordians can't use the Principia. Rules are fine, but don't expect a serious discussion if you set handicaps.

Personally, I'm an agnostic. I can't prove that there is a God or gods, but neither can I prove there aren't. I pray to whatever god/angel/prophet I feel like at the time, as a means of covering my bases. Aside from that, not particularly religious or spiritual.
Insanity we trust.