News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Why Music Gone?

Started by Richter, March 15, 2011, 04:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bds

I'm actually super excited by a whole bunch of albums released 2010/early 2011. Admittedly I'm a lot younger than you guys and so this is the type of shit I'm growing up with, but I listen to old stuff too and I honestly think that there's music coming out right now that's of a similar standard. That said, I'm definitely not defending some of the absolute abortions of  "songs" that have hit the charts.  :lol:

Richter

What would you recomend?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Luna

Me, I cycle through styles.  I tend to "center" somewhere and branch out to stuff I liked in the past.  On a given night, I may have, say Rush, Tobey Keith, KISS, and the soundtrack from Cats playing, one after another.  (The fact that it gives my co-workers a migraine when I do that is bonus.)  Some days nothing I've got suits me and I go digging for something else.  Just widen your focus.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

LMNO

Terrestrial radio has simply become filler for commercials.  Complaining that you can't hear anything good on FM radio is like saying you can't find a good TV show on the CW.

Satellite radio has been pushing the envelope in regards to both new music, and old music you haven't heard in a while.  And there are no commercials, so there's no pandering to advertisers.

Anyhow, here are some good bands that have shown up in the last few years:

The National
LCD Soundsystem
Sleigh Bells
Warpaint
Best Coast
Wavves
Kid Cudi
BlakRoc (which is the Black Keys with Damon Dash's rolodex of rappers)
N.A.S.A.
Grizzly Bear
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
Art Brut
Bat for Lashes
Fever Ray
Beruit
The Besnard Lakes
Dirty Projectors
Grinderman
Lykki Li
Morning Benders
A Place to Bury Strangers
Robyn
The Soft Pack
The Walkmen
The xx

and, of course,

Lady GaGa.

Simply put, the Billboard 100 and the Grammys are no longer relevant, if they ever were.

AFK

Ditto on terrestrial radio.  I couldn't go without my shiny Sirius radio in my car.  The talk stations still have promos, but the music stations don't and some don't even have DJs.  There's a station completely devoted to 90s alternative/rock, a hair metal station, a metal station, and they'll even set you up if you are a smooth jazz fan.  (Yeah, I'm one of those.)

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

I'm a fan of the Real Jazz station, Backspin (Old School Hip Hop), XMU (Indie), Soul Town (50s-70s Motown and Soul), Little Steven's Undergroung Garage, and Willie's Place (traditional country).

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Richter

:mrgreen:

I've also been into a lot of Band of Horses, Children of Bodom, Regina Spector, Old Man's Child, and Tegan and Sarah.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Eater of Clowns

Huh.  One of my preferred bands for the last five years is Wolf Parade.  I just looked up a song of theirs on YouTube, and not only is the video really, really good, but it also comments surprisingly well on the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tTgqxkocf8
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

bds

LMNO hit just about every modern music related note right there. I'd also add Kanye West, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Arctic Monkeys/Alex Turner, Stateless, Broken Bells, Kate Nash, Foals, 65daysofstatic, Explosions In The Sky, Summer Camp, Bonobo, She & Him. Also I adore Warpaint & Sleigh Bells so def check those.

AFK

As a metal fan, I do have to say I felt a bit of re invigoration when I discovered the burgeoning folk metal scene.  I had become a bit jaded with the genre thanks to the glut of metalcore bands.   
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Quote from: Luna on March 16, 2011, 02:27:18 PM
Me, I cycle through styles.  I tend to "center" somewhere and branch out to stuff I liked in the past.  On a given night, I may have, say Rush, Tobey Keith, KISS, and the soundtrack from Cats playing, one after another.  (The fact that it gives my co-workers a migraine when I do that is bonus.)  Some days nothing I've got suits me and I go digging for something else.  Just widen your focus.

That's what I do with Pandora stations, and then I put it on "Mix" or whatever it is.  So at one point it's Three Dog Night, and then at another it's Eminem, at another it's Nine Inch Nails, at another it's Swing Out Sister.