News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Yes, I am a hooker.

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., March 19, 2011, 04:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Really nice color combos... I love the pink/beige/turquoise/olive one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 24, 2011, 10:12:27 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 24, 2011, 08:32:01 PM
Lovely!

Thank you! :D Every one should have one of these. They are super-cuddly.

I have a couple...not as nicely done as yours!

Your new Afghans are LOVELY as well!  Nigel said it best--GREAT color combos!

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Do I want to start a new thread? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Made a blanket for the GF, got it done just in time for Christmas. She was tickled pink.

Here's a fairly decent picture of an individual (unblocked) motif:

And a fairly shitty picture of the whole blanket, draped over the cat tree of doom:

This thing is warm as hell, apparently. And it's damn plushy. Boucle and Caron acrylic crocheted together made a soft, somewhat springy fabric that makes you want to pet it. Who knew?

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

I really need to get a decent fucking camera. OOoh. Wait, the sun is out. BRB.

First of two blankets that needed piecing:

Shawl:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Quote from: Nigel on January 10, 2012, 04:11:23 AM
Those are really pretty!

Thank you. Now I need to figure out what to do with this stuff. I make it just to make it because I want to learn the stitches or learn about that fiber. I'm thinking donations to hospitals or whatever. Or just start giving it away at random.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 11, 2012, 05:22:15 AM
Those are really pretty!

Thank you. Now I need to figure out what to do with this stuff. I make it just to make it because I want to learn the stitches or learn about that fiber. I'm thinking donations to hospitals or whatever. Or just start giving it away at random.

Or open a shop on Zibbet?

Quote from: Nigel on January 11, 2012, 07:02:53 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 11, 2012, 05:22:15 AM
Those are really pretty!

Or open a shop on Zibbet?

Or that!

A fun side-effect of my crochet skills getting better and being dumb enough to make stuff for people for various occasions is that now people think I can turn out intricate items like highly detailed plushies in hours. These people think it is perfectly acceptable to find a pattern of something they think is cool and then ask me - or ask a friend I've made something for to ask me - to quote a price.

Completely ignoring the copywrite/rules-of-use for the pattern and/or bypassing the person who came up with the thing in the first place, who may be selling items or the pattern for profit.

WTF. I am not a one-person sweatshop for people to get cheap knock-off toys.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 12, 2012, 07:02:19 PM
A fun side-effect of my crochet skills getting better and being dumb enough to make stuff for people for various occasions is that now people think I can turn out intricate items like highly detailed plushies in hours. These people think it is perfectly acceptable to find a pattern of something they think is cool and then ask me - or ask a friend I've made something for to ask me - to quote a price.

Completely ignoring the copywrite/rules-of-use for the pattern and/or bypassing the person who came up with the thing in the first place, who may be selling items or the pattern for profit.

Hahaha seriously! Being generally crafty, I get that shit all the time. People want me to sew them custom Santa costumes and alter their clothes or make random crap for them for free. Or for "a couple of drinks", as if $12 even comes close to covering my time.

A good answer, BTW, is "Hmmm, that would take me at least a  couple of days to learn the pattern and make, so even if you only paid me minimum wage it would probably be cheaper to  buy the original".

They can't really argue with that without making it sound like they aren't even willing to pay you minimum wage for your time.

Quote from: Nigel on January 13, 2012, 04:04:43 AM

Hahaha seriously! Being generally crafty, I get that shit all the time. People want me to sew them custom Santa costumes and alter their clothes or make random crap for them for free. Or for "a couple of drinks", as if $12 even comes close to covering my time.

A good answer, BTW, is "Hmmm, that would take me at least a  couple of days to learn the pattern and make, so even if you only paid me minimum wage it would probably be cheaper to  buy the original".

They can't really argue with that without making it sound like they aren't even willing to pay you minimum wage for your time.

My reply was "You're a god damn moron." And then I laid the math out for the first fellow. Afterwords I proceeded to tell folks they were cordially invited to choke on a bag of dicks and there was a $20 dollar charge for asking me to make anything to do with fucking Pokemon.

ETA: In retrospect, your way might have been the right response. My knee-jerk anger at stupidity is a flaw. Sorta. Also the chip on my shoulder regarding being told I'm wasting my time if I'm not taking up hobbies specifically for making cash in the long run.

Why does everything have to be about how much money it can make you? Fucking hell.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 18, 2012, 04:09:48 AM

My reply was "You're a god damn moron." And then I laid the math out for the first fellow. Afterwords I proceeded to tell folks they were cordially invited to choke on a bag of dicks and there was a $20 dollar charge for asking me to make anything to do with fucking Pokemon.

ETA: In retrospect, your way might have been the right response. My knee-jerk anger at stupidity is a flaw. Sorta. Also the chip on my shoulder regarding being told I'm wasting my time if I'm not taking up hobbies specifically for making cash in the long run.

Why does everything have to be about how much money it can make you? Fucking hell.

I hate that, and I also hate people's completely uninformed opinions about how I could make more money.

Here is a thing about topics people know shit about: they always come up with some boneheadedly stupid suggestion and preface it with words like "I bet you would sell a lot of", "you should", and "can't you just..."

"I bet you would sell a lot of snowglobe earrings!"

"You should get a table at the street fair."

"Can't you just hire people to make your beads for you?"

And they always seem to think they have come up with something amazing and revolutionary, which clearly I have never thought of and certainly haven't thought through and rejected for reasons that are painfully obvious to anyone who actually knows what they're doing.

One of my favorite recurring ones is "You should teach". Another is "You should do trade shows". OH HOLY SHIT, I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT, LET ALONE TRIED  IT YEARS AGO AND REJECTED IT FOR LOGISTICAL AND FINANCIAL REASONS.

Phox

Quote from: Nigel on January 22, 2012, 07:59:37 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 18, 2012, 04:09:48 AM

I hate that, and I also hate people's completely uninformed opinions about how I could make more money.

Here is a thing about topics people know shit about: they always come up with some boneheadedly stupid suggestion and preface it with words like "I bet you would sell a lot of", "you should", and "can't you just..."

"I bet you would sell a lot of snowglobe earrings!"

"You should get a table at the street fair."

"Can't you just hire people to make your beads for you?"

And they always seem to think they have come up with something amazing and revolutionary, which clearly I have never thought of and certainly haven't thought through and rejected for reasons that are painfully obvious to anyone who actually knows what they're doing.

One of my favorite recurring ones is "You should teach". Another is "You should do trade shows". OH HOLY SHIT, I NEVER WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT, LET ALONE TRIED  IT YEARS AGO AND REJECTED IT FOR LOGISTICAL AND FINANCIAL REASONS.
Don't you know, Nigel? Trade shows are completely free and require no time investment whatsoever. You could go to a trade show in Boston and be home in time to make 800 beads before lunch. Clearly, you are just doin' it wrong.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 22, 2012, 08:13:45 PM
Don't you know, Nigel? Trade shows are completely free and require no time investment whatsoever. You could go to a trade show in Boston and be home in time to make 800 beads before lunch. Clearly, you are just doin' it wrong.

:lol:

The one about hiring people to make my beads always cracks me up. IT MAKES NO SENSE.