Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Yes, I am a hooker.

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., March 19, 2011, 04:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Nigel on January 22, 2012, 08:17:35 PM
Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 22, 2012, 08:13:45 PM
Don't you know, Nigel? Trade shows are completely free and require no time investment whatsoever. You could go to a trade show in Boston and be home in time to make 800 beads before lunch. Clearly, you are just doin' it wrong.

:lol:

The one about hiring people to make my beads always cracks me up. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
That one is just bizarre, yeah. I mean... all I can relate it to is telling van Gogh that he should hire someone to paint for him.  :lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 22, 2012, 08:22:13 PM
Don't you know, Nigel? Trade shows are completely free and require no time investment whatsoever. You could go to a trade show in Boston and be home in time to make 800 beads before lunch. Clearly, you are just doin' it wrong.

The one about hiring people to make my beads always cracks me up. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
That one is just bizarre, yeah. I mean... all I can relate it to is telling van Gogh that he should hire someone to paint for him.  :lol:

Well, there's the art aspect (if I didn't make it, I can't really sell it as my own work), but even with simplest beads it makes zero economic sense; I would either have to pay someone an hourly wage and teach them how to make beads, or buy them by the piece from someone who already knows how, and there is no conceivable reason that anyone would sell me their work for half what they could sell it for themselves. And, even if I could find such people, at that point I'm not a beadmaker, I'm just a bead store.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: Nigel on January 22, 2012, 08:35:19 PM

Well, there's the art aspect (if I didn't make it, I can't really sell it as my own work), but even with simplest beads it makes zero economic sense; I would either have to pay someone an hourly wage and teach them how to make beads, or buy them by the piece from someone who already knows how, and there is no conceivable reason that anyone would sell me their work for half what they could sell it for themselves. And, even if I could find such people, at that point I'm not a beadmaker, I'm just a bead store.
And unless you sell enough beads that you can't actually produce them as fast as you sell them, you will simply hemorrhage money in you try to hire someone, right? PEOPLE ACTUALLY DID NOT REALIZE THIS?  :aaa:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor M. Phox0 on January 22, 2012, 08:42:10 PM

And unless you sell enough beads that you can't actually produce them as fast as you sell them, you will simply hemorrhage money in you try to hire someone, right? PEOPLE ACTUALLY DID NOT REALIZE THIS?  :aaa:

They actually did not.  :lol:

Next time someone suggests something like that, I'm going to suggest that they hire someone to do their job so that they have more time to do other things. Because in an alternate universe, that makes COMPLETE SENSE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Nigel on January 22, 2012, 09:58:13 PM

Next time someone suggests something like that, I'm going to suggest that they hire someone to do their job so that they have more time to do other things. Because in an alternate universe, that makes COMPLETE SENSE.

Outsourcing *sage nod* even the Amish are doing it, with their quilts. I'm sure there's some starving kids in Guatemala who have access to all the equipment they'd need to make your beads in 1/3 the time for 1/10th the price. Then you could make BILLIONS.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 23, 2012, 06:24:21 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 22, 2012, 09:58:13 PM

Outsourcing *sage nod* even the Amish are doing it, with their quilts. I'm sure there's some starving kids in Guatemala who have access to all the equipment they'd need to make your beads in 1/3 the time for 1/10th the price. Then you could make BILLIONS.

BAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHA

Yes. Dude, we should just both be like "hey, email my rep" and then my friends can email you and your friends can email me, and we can both tell each other's friends and acquaintances that they are idiots.

We don't need to know what we 'should' be doing in our various crafts. No, no. We need an auto-reply e-mail that says "Thank you for your input, it provided a great chuckle. You are a fucking moron. Please accept our gift of rabid squirrels in  your pance."

In person encounters, well . . . that's why God invented squirt guns full of lemon juice.

On another note, I finished that second blanket. (And another baby blanket and a scarf, but the big blanket is the one that counts.)

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Good Reverend Roger

I am hereby offering my services as "rep".  Feel free to forward people or their emails to me, and I will send them away satisfied.  By which I mean I will be satisfied when I send them away.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 26, 2012, 06:34:59 PM
I am hereby offering my services as "rep".  Feel free to forward people or their emails to me, and I will send them away satisfied.  By which I mean I will be satisfied when I send them away.

:lol: CPD, I think you should take him up on this.

And I love that latest one!

That is a very generous offer, Roger. I know you're a very busy man and it's kind of you to offer to help in this regard. I do believe I will take you up on this. The next time this comes up, expect an e-mail from me. :)

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2012, 10:40:51 PM

:lol: CPD, I think you should take him up on this.

And I love that latest one!

And I will, too! :D Thanks. :D

Apparently there is another great divide in the universe of crafty needlework shit. Not only is it crochters vs knitters BUT  . . . . it's also acrylic vs wool (or anything else that is 'natural'). I saw a 'warning' posted on someone's project page about how acrylic baby blankets are evil and should not be used without supervision - no having an acrylic blanket with a baby at night, for instance.

Because if there's a fire, wool is flame retardant, but acrylic will burn and melt to the baby. Very inspiring, that. Especially when you , as a wool-user, go around posting on other people's project pages about the evils of acrylic. :P

Here's my latest baby blanket in 100% Acrylic. Because I don't like my friends, I hate their babies. :P

nagaina

Shame on you for thinking you're an exception.

nagaina

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on March 08, 2012, 05:33:57 PM
O.o That wasn't weird at all.
Sadly, even such blankets would make you want a baby if you're a woman and you're at least 24 years old :D
SOON  :evil:
Shame on you for thinking you're an exception.