News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Well, that's gonna put a fucking damper on things

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 20, 2011, 08:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

:x

I have been abysmally ill for the past 2+ weeks. I even called into work sick one day, and that NEVER happens. At first, it was a nasty cold. Spent a few days feverish and horking up volkswagen-sized lung oysters. But even after the cold was obviously long gone, I was still sick. And a weird kind of sick. Sleeping too much, pooping nothing but foul greenish water (at extreme velocity too, but I digress), muddled, depressed, easily distracted (those who know me well know how truly strange these symptoms are; I am a highly-focused insomniac who is almost physically incapable of being bummed out), and unable to eat without feeling sicker with every swallow.

Turns out that last bit was not the symptom, but the cause.

I have developed a food allergy, and unfortunately it's one that's probably going to effectively end my career. I'm gonna keep working on the ship for a while, since I know what those guys like and know how to cook it without needing to taste everything all the time. I also have enough latitude in my budget there to buy separate groceries for myself. And the money is really good, but...unless I intend to cook on the same ship with the exact same crew for the rest of my life, I'm gonna have to find something else to do pretty soon. I can save enough to put myself through 4 years of school pretty quickly. I can save enough to put myself through 2 years of school on my next trip out. But I've gotta have something to go to school for.

ITT, you suggest ideas for a new career. My only concrete requirement is that I be able to make at least $50K/yr to start with a degree (bare minimum - I'm not going to school to take a pay cut) and that I have potential to eventually earn at least $100K/yr.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Sir Squid Diddimus

You're not gonna tell us the allergy??
What a cliff hanger!

Ps- I don't know what jobs are supposed to pay cause I live in FL where everyone makes minimum wage (yes with a degree) or is a lawyer.

Law school?

East Coast Hustle

:lol: that's actually the very first thing I thought of.

The allergy is to wheat.

ETA: but that's not really important. This thread is about what I can do for a career change, not how I should just be some lame niche-market chef who can't use a proper roux.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Telarus

Fuck, that blows.

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 20, 2011, 08:41:29 AM
:lol: that's actually the very first thing I thought of.

The allergy is to wheat.

ETA: but that's not really important. This thread is about what I can do for a career change, not how I should just be some lame niche-market chef who can't use a proper roux.

Go somewhere that you can charge twice as much for cooking non-wheat-gluten food? Pretty much leaves places like Vancouver or Amsterdam, tho. So you'll have to balance that with the increased probability of STH* Chicks.

*Dear Reader, Oh come on, you know what the fuck this is short for...
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

East Coast Hustle

This thread is about what I can do for a career change, not how I should just be some lame niche-market chef who can't use a proper roux.

Telarus

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 20, 2011, 09:28:36 AM
This thread is about what I can do for a career change, not how I should just be some lame niche-market chef who can't use a proper roux.

Aye, there's the rub. Law sounds interesting and nobody knows sharks like an island kid  :evil:. Anything else you interested in?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Biomedical Engineering

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAI5rLnnCBE
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

Law, for sure.  Corporate law, if you can handle the boredom.

Or, you know, investment banking.

Rumckle

Mining Engineering? If you can stand living at mining sites, over here the average starting salary is about $100k. (I think)
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

pH

I'm going into aerospace engineering, a 4-year degree with no experience gets you 50k a year, and depending on who you work for and how long, you can reach six digits. Generally, the work is putting together aircraft/missiles/things that fly, designing them, fixing them, flying them, and most of the jobs around a plane. Downside: the degree is math heavy, for example, I'm in trig now and by the end of next year I have to finish Calculus 2, and this is my first year of college.
This is a distraction.

QuoteTOMAHAWKS

Bruno

I hear UN, Reno has an excellent pimpin' department.
Formerly something else...

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on March 20, 2011, 02:52:10 PM
I hear UN, Reno has an excellent pimpin' department.

:lulz: Oh, god, how I hate Reno. Otherwise that would be the perfect field of study.

Also, maths are stupid.

I_Kicked_Kennedy

Be a cook at fat camp, Atkins retreats, or a Celiac's convention center.

If I had a million dollars, I'd put it all in a sensible mutual fund.

East Coast Hustle

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on March 20, 2011, 03:45:19 PM

Guy like you?

Police work.  No shit.  Get the 4 year degree in something forensics-related, with a minor in "cop".

Just tell everyone you're a male prostitute, so you don't ruin your good name.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.