News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Well, that's gonna put a fucking damper on things

Started by East Coast Hustle, March 20, 2011, 08:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 22, 2011, 03:35:45 PM
Also, if everyone relocated away from all of the really dangerous natural disasters, everyone would basically be living in the Northwest and the Northeast.

I don't want any more neighbors.  I like my space. 

Eh, not the NW. We're slated for earthquake catastrophe and it's going to be ugly, Japan-style, plus we have Hanford. If you want to be freaked out by the sheer potential, look it up.

But I was born here. I am not questioning people who live in an area they were born and raised... I'm asking why you would be all, "shit, I've always wanted to try meth, why not?"

I wonder the same fucking thing about people who move to Portland. Seriously, guys, we're all gonna die in a really messy and unpleasant way. Why would you move here on purpose?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nurse Freeky on March 22, 2011, 03:37:50 PM
Tucson doesn't get natural disasters.*

*Our fires are usually caused by stupid campers who don't take care of their fucking fires.

Tucson, bizarrely, actually makes sense as a place to live.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 22, 2011, 03:32:47 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 03:29:14 PM
Why the hell would anyone go "Yay, a flood plain; I think I'll go live on it"?

I know one reason...

I don't like coffee or sweet pastries.

I know, I'm an inhuman freak.

LMNO

Clearly, then, you are not just "anyone", and so the answer given would not necessarily apply to you.

However... What about this?

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dysnomia

Become Real Estate Agent

Move somewhere tropical and sell beach houses to retirees, trust fund babies, escaping politicians, and gold diggers.

and let me visit!   :D
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

AFK

Run against LePage in 2014.  

Or run against Snowe for 2012. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 22, 2011, 04:10:21 PM
Clearly, then, you are not just "anyone", and so the answer given would not necessarily apply to you.

However... What about this?

Good food is a powerful motivator. Although, I'm not partial to Cajun.

LMNO

Heh.  I know better to try to convince you once you've made up you mind.  More of that kind of music, food, and tits for me, then.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on March 22, 2011, 04:34:12 PM
Heh.  I know better to try to convince you once you've made up you mind.  More of that kind of music, food, and tits for me, then.

I liked it before, but I'm still pissed about someone's particular comment and it's making me aversive.

Seriously, this is why I need therapy...

navkat

Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 03:29:14 PM
Quote from: navkat on March 22, 2011, 03:23:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 21, 2011, 05:30:44 PM

Somewhere horrible, but not too large.

LIKE NEW ORLEANS.

You should watch Steven Seagal: Lawman. Technically Jefferson Parish (Westbank, not Orleans Parish) but you DO get to watch him pop off some nutria in episode 09 of season 01.

Anyway, working in NOLA would make it possible for you to continue the "lifestyle to which you are accustomed." Also: I'll be living there in a year or so.

Why the hell would anyone go "Yay, a flood plain; I think I'll go live on it"?

Padonnen m', tiffi...

Your statement reveals some ignorance on your part. It's not really your fault: there's a lot misconception about:
1. What caused the Katrina Disaster and
2. The value of New Orleans in general.

Let's start with 1. the Great Flood of 2005 was a man made disaster.

While it's true that New Orleans is basically below sea-level, she has historically been protected from hurricane and surge waters by vast wetlands. This swamp works to guard the city from surging water, but also slows down the actual speed of the hurricane itself as it begins to make landfall over the wetlands. There's a figure running around that says basically every one mile of swamp slows a hurricane down by 2 knots :cn:.

in the 1950s, the Fed approved the creation of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (MRGO or "Mister-GO") Intracoastal Waterway canal. Long story short, they basically dug a ginormous T-shaped canal into the land and swampland that connects Lake Pontchartrain to the Gulf to the Mississip'. Addistionally, they dug a bunch of canals into the geography at the north side of NOLA where she meets Lake Pontchartrain.

This had two effects: first, the obvious; all of the seawall breaches were at man-made canal points. Second: the use of the canals themselves disturbed the protective swampland and broke up the density and ecosystem of miles and miles. The eventual result was that it created a perfect "funnel" effect in many places--the most profound "point" of which cut right into the New Orleans East section of MRGO which forks right along the area between the 7th and 8th wards.

2. New Orleans one the oldest cities in the US (it pre-dates New York...and even the 13 colonies of the US itself) and is a living, breathing national treasure. It is a city greater than merely its congregation of preserved Creole, Acadian, Spanish, Hatian and French parts. It's the very birthplace of the first and only truly American-invented music style, It was (despite its status as a slave port) the only place in the South resistant among its people to inequality among blacks and whites until long after the Louisiana Purchase and considered its colored Creole peoples to posses a status above "white Yankee" until long after segregation and Jim Crowe thinking took hold of the South (don't believe me? wiki "creole" sometime). The Port of New Orleans was and remains an integral part of the shipping industry--its location at the base of the only major body of water that runs through the body of the continent.

Blowing off New Orleans as just a bunch of stupidly-located people who don't have the good sense to get their asses off a flood-plain is to not really comprehend the picture. To take an abandonment stance is to fail to recognize, say, San Francisco as being "worth the money" of saving and it is committing an inadvertent act of culturcide/genocide-through-displacement no different than what the Federal Government has already done to the Native American Indians.

That said, I think you should go sometime. I think you're one of the types of people in this world who are of the right intelligence and mindframe to really "get it" if you go. I do believe you'd have a hell of a time.

The Good Reverend Roger

It's also one of the finest natural harbors in the world, and connects river trade with ocean trade.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

New Orleans is on my list of places I'd like to visit someday.

Once the divorce is final and I can look at my finances, I'll be planning some trips.  (I get an assload of vacation time that I need to burn off.)

Heck, I may even make a pilgrimage to Tuscon one of these days.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Requia ☣

Quote from: Nigel on March 22, 2011, 04:06:00 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 22, 2011, 03:35:45 PM
Also, if everyone relocated away from all of the really dangerous natural disasters, everyone would basically be living in the Northwest and the Northeast.

I don't want any more neighbors.  I like my space. 

Eh, not the NW. We're slated for earthquake catastrophe and it's going to be ugly, Japan-style, plus we have Hanford. If you want to be freaked out by the sheer potential, look it up.

But I was born here. I am not questioning people who live in an area they were born and raised... I'm asking why you would be all, "shit, I've always wanted to try meth, why not?"

I wonder the same fucking thing about people who move to Portland. Seriously, guys, we're all gonna die in a really messy and unpleasant way. Why would you move here on purpose?

Isn't Hanford decommissioned?

No wait, let me guess, the site was decommissioned because its full to bursting with nuclear waste that there's no proper dump site for.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.