News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

GOP Bill Would Force IRS to Conduct Abortion Audits

Started by Luna, March 18, 2011, 05:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 22, 2011, 03:29:45 PM
Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on March 22, 2011, 03:05:11 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 21, 2011, 09:41:56 PM
BTW my favorite part of "Freakonomics" is where the economist explains the correlation and probable causation between legal abortion and reduced crime. I am completely on board with that, and I also think that we could save a fuckton of tax money with Federal funding of birth control and abortion, making them free and anonymous.

He also states that the same effect could be made by insuring that more children had loving and well off families(Of course this would involve lots of good christian tax dollars going to help smudgy people so its out of the question). He also states "If hats dont fit the solution isnt necessarily to go around cutting off heads."

/devils advocate

Well I think it is pretty clear when you look at socio-economics, poorer people tend to have more abortions than the upper classes.  If you were to raise the fortunes of poor families, I think that itself would put downward pressure on abortion rates.  Not only because people who are in a more comfortable situation would be more likely to see a pregnancy through.  But also, people who are more stable also tend to make different kinds of decisions when it comes to their health, including reproductive health. 

That's what is so infuriating about the majority of those in the pro-life movement.  I think there can be agreement that it would be good for a society if abortion rates were lower.  But that simply cannot be achieved through moralizing.  It isn't a moral issue.  It is really more of a public health issue and an economic issue.  A two-pronged approach of raising the prospects of the poor, and thoughtful, researched sex-ed programs, I think, could go along way to reducing abortion rates. 

People who believe in both abstinence sex-ed and are pro-lifers really bother me. They believe that abortion is murder but they openly choose a program that would lead to significantly more abortions because Jesus told them. How do you even begin to rationalize that in your head?
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

AFK

They don't because that would require them to question their faith.  Their faith tells them that if people live like good little, chaste citizens, everything will be fine.  Even though it completely flies in the face of basic human sociology and behavior. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on March 22, 2011, 04:14:22 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 22, 2011, 03:29:45 PM
Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on March 22, 2011, 03:05:11 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 21, 2011, 09:41:56 PM
BTW my favorite part of "Freakonomics" is where the economist explains the correlation and probable causation between legal abortion and reduced crime. I am completely on board with that, and I also think that we could save a fuckton of tax money with Federal funding of birth control and abortion, making them free and anonymous.

He also states that the same effect could be made by insuring that more children had loving and well off families(Of course this would involve lots of good christian tax dollars going to help smudgy people so its out of the question). He also states "If hats dont fit the solution isnt necessarily to go around cutting off heads."

/devils advocate

Well I think it is pretty clear when you look at socio-economics, poorer people tend to have more abortions than the upper classes.  If you were to raise the fortunes of poor families, I think that itself would put downward pressure on abortion rates.  Not only because people who are in a more comfortable situation would be more likely to see a pregnancy through.  But also, people who are more stable also tend to make different kinds of decisions when it comes to their health, including reproductive health. 

That's what is so infuriating about the majority of those in the pro-life movement.  I think there can be agreement that it would be good for a society if abortion rates were lower.  But that simply cannot be achieved through moralizing.  It isn't a moral issue.  It is really more of a public health issue and an economic issue.  A two-pronged approach of raising the prospects of the poor, and thoughtful, researched sex-ed programs, I think, could go along way to reducing abortion rates. 

People who believe in both abstinence sex-ed and are pro-lifers really bother me. They believe that abortion is murder but they openly choose a program that would lead to significantly more abortions because Jesus told them. How do you even begin to rationalize that in your head?

Life makes much more sense once you realize that most people are FUCKING STUPID.

Do you  have a dog? No? Get one.

Now, realize that your dog is fucking retarded and will do anything for bacon.

Most people are dumber than your dog. Problem solved, question answered. That's why. Enjoy your remaining time on earth.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, sort of, and say that it would be better for society if abortion rates were higher. Statistics indicate that more abortion = fewer unwanted kids = less crime. Crime is at an all-time low right now, and it's probably because of legal abortion.

SPEAKING AS A MOTHER who loves and lives for her children, the religious and emotional attachment to a clump of cells that might become a person if all goes well is fucking stupid. What would make society better is universal free contraception and abortion.

NO ONE should come into the world without a mother who wants them. Imagine that world, and how wonderful it would be.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, BTW, I was an unwanted child. 1971. Relatively speaking I am a success story, but I grew up surrounded by unwanted kids who were hell bent on self-destruction, and completely happy to take other people out with them.