Main Menu

Nerdcore

Started by The Commander, March 22, 2011, 07:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

what about "speeding metal"?

and of course the ever-popular "insulting an officer punkrock"

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 02, 2011, 12:03:52 AM
what about "speeding metal"?

and of course the ever-popular "insulting an officer punkrock"

Those are just called "Metal" and "Punk" respectively.

Daterape Opera has a ring to it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Commander

I disagree about Nerdcore not deserving to be a genre on its own.  The use of comedy by a large number of the artists does not inherently disqualify it from having artistic merit.  Plenty of "mainstream" rap artists have infused their lyrics and videos with humor.  Busta Rhymes, Obie Trice, Snoop Dog, 50 Cent, Public Enemy...all of them have used humor to a verying degree.

I also don't think you can judge the genre on the quality of the production and performances.  It's still pretty early on in the genres development.  Think back to the early days of hip hop and the quality of those productions.  Not real great.  Gradually, as it caught on, production values and quality improved.  Right now, only MC Chris and MC Frontalot really produce anything of high quality, but I think given time that will change.

In the meantime...consider the video below.  Would you say "Chap Hop" like that of Mr. B qualifies as Nerdcore, strictly rap parody, or a little of both.  Either way, I give mad props to anyone who plays the Banjolele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t28COxEp2k
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

East Coast Hustle

I think you're missing the point, which is that Nerdcore is a gag-genre only suitable for serious consideration by basement-dwelling white kids with aspergers.

That doesn't mean it lacks artistic merit, just that my contempt for the target demographic makes me lose interest.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Commander

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 02, 2011, 08:02:39 PM
I think you're missing the point, which is that Nerdcore is a gag-genre only suitable for serious consideration by basement-dwelling white kids with aspergers.

That doesn't mean it lacks artistic merit, just that my contempt for the target demographic makes me lose interest.

Well, that's a different matter all together.  Nothing wrong with contempt for people with Aspergers.  God, I hate those guys.
The Commander
DIA

East Coast Hustle

I know, right?

"HAY GUIZE, I KNOW I'M A SOCIALLY INEPT DICKHEAD BUT IT'S OK, I DON'T HAVE TO WORK ON THAT ANYMORE BECAUSE I SELF-DIAGNOSED MYSELF WITH ASSBURGERS! IT'S A REAL DISEASE AND EVERYTHING!"
\
:nigel:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bruno

Seriously.

They're almost as bad as diabetics.

Formerly something else...

The Commander

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on April 02, 2011, 08:15:18 PM
Seriously.

Don't forget cancer patients.  Get a few abnormal cells and they get ALL the attention.  Jerks.
The Commander
DIA

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Commander on April 02, 2011, 07:57:10 PM
I also don't think you can judge the genre on the quality of the production and performances.  It's still pretty early on in the genres development. 

Huh, I heard nerdcore tracks as early as 12 years ago (KOMPRESSOR feat. MC Frontalot). They were probably busy long before that, too.

It's just that I think it's cool there's a few people that think "hey let's make geek inspired rap songs" first, and then others decide to call it "nerdcore" later, that's fine. But as soon as there's people that think "hey let's make NERDCORE", I think "no you're just doing someone else's shtick now", fans go "I'm really into NERDCORE", and that's what I mean when I say they didn't have to make an entire genre out of it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Commander

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 02, 2011, 08:29:37 PM
I also don't think you can judge the genre on the quality of the production and performances.  It's still pretty early on in the genres development.

Huh, I heard nerdcore tracks as early as 12 years ago (KOMPRESSOR feat. MC Frontalot). They were probably busy long before that, too.

It's just that I think it's cool there's a few people that think "hey let's make geek inspired rap songs" first, and then others decide to call it "nerdcore" later, that's fine. But as soon as there's people that think "hey let's make NERDCORE", I think "no you're just doing someone else's shtick now", fans go "I'm really into NERDCORE", and that's what I mean when I say they didn't have to make an entire genre out of it.

Not that I would encourage anyone to try to make music that fit only within a specific genre...but I kind of thought the way you describe things is pretty much how all genres develop? A couple of people make music that is similar in some way, it catches on, and then others inspired by it start trying to do something similar.  I think that sort of thing is kind of inevitable.

I guess I am less concerned about someones motivations for making music than I am with how much do I like what they have made.
The Commander
DIA

Jasper

Is it nerdcore if it's rock music?

Because I've heard a lot of good video-game centric rock music.

Ex. A: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01224/

Laughin Jude

It's one thing to make kinda geeky music because that's just who you are. I mean, if you grew up in the ghetto, rap about the ghetto; if you grew up downloading shit off BBSes, rap about that. It becomes entirely different to my way of thinking when people try to build an entire identity out of it. That's when it gets annoying. It's like the difference between people who like Star Trek and people who are full-on Trekkies.

I don't have a problem with nerdcore as a genre so long as the music's of quality and the artist has something to say. If it's just "lol nerdz represent!" shit, then yeah, fuck the aspies. Content's important to me though. I hate rap songs that glorify gang violence and country music that embraces ignorance, too, but that doesn't mean all rap and country falls into those categories (disclaimer: I don't really listen to either of those genres).

Also, it'd be really easy for me to dislike a lot of different kinds of music, even particular bands, because their fanbases suck, but I'd be missing out on some good stuff if I just automatically rejected anything that someone in a damn wolf shirt might like too.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Commander on April 02, 2011, 08:20:45 PM
Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on April 02, 2011, 08:15:18 PM
Seriously.

Don't forget cancer patients.  Get a few abnormal cells and they get ALL the attention.  Jerks.

:lulz:

You guys think I was kidding, I take it.

Bruno

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 02, 2011, 08:29:37 PM

Isn't that how every genre gets started?

In order for "Nerdcore" to be a legitimate genre, does "Nerd" first need to be a legitimate culture?
Formerly something else...