News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

CRAMULUS

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 23, 2011, 11:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 24, 2011, 01:57:07 AM
Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:45:30 AM
Ya know, all of those factors seem relevant.

I gotta say, I don't think "we" are any meaner now than we were two years ago. I think ECH nailed it.

I think we're quite a bit nicer.

And, as a horrible mean person, I'm also gonna say that I nailed it; PD.com is a board for bored white (however the fuck you define "white") middle class people, and that is a rapidly declining demographic.

I think this is a social problem. I'd like to talk about it. Can we talk about it without anyone being offended by the crassness of being called white? I think this is important, actually. I might even go so far as to say that we need people with the middle-class freedom to think about things.

THIS IS JUST ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF NIGEL KEEPING A BROTHER DOWN.  :crankey:
Ain't that the truth!
"Help, help, I'm being repressed"!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Phox

PD.com is a board for bored white (however the fuck you define "white") middle class people, and that is a rapidly declining demographic.
I recall you saying that before, and at the time, I didn't like it, though I just let it slide. I've decided I do in fact like it.

ETA: It fits.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That makes me happy. :)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

I'm totally cool with a discussion about it, actually, which I think you and I talked about briefly on facebook.  I was just pissed with the way it came up, not the accusation itself.  Because really, I am a white motherfucker.  White trash, yeah, but white.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

I, FOR ONE, AM OUTRAGED AT NOT BEING ACCEPTED AS THE BLACK MAN THAT I AM ON THE INSIDE.

THE FACT THAT I LIVE IN ORO VALLEY NOTWITHSTANDING.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BadBeast

In the UK, the much of the working class now think of themselves as Middle Class. But it takes more than the fact we no longer have a Manufacturing Industry, to change the aspirations and values of a whole class of people. I see our class system as more reliant upon what our Grandparents were doing. Especially just after WWII. Many of the Men came back from the War, and went back to the Jobs they had left, and rejoined the Class that they had had before the War,
their children followed after them, and helped to establish the strong Trade Union movement. That we used to have.

Some Men came back from the War, but made the decision to make sure their children received a better education, and had access to more Career options than was available to them. Otherwise, what was the point of defending the Nation, if your children couldn't get a better deal. On a very simplistic level, one demographic stayed working class, the other, aspired to become Middle Class.
Then, when Thatcher came along and enabled everyone to be a Homeowner, both groups took advantage of this. The first group had made it. Property owning, educated, white collar, Professionals. In essence, Middle Class.

The second group, Property owning, minimum basic education, blue collar jobs, Wage earners. They became Working class Homeowners. And now there is no longer the scope of unskilled or semi skilled work available, their children go on to further education as well. The difference being that they (because of their working class roots) take Vocational Courses. The first group's children are taking Degree courses, and going on to Post-grad level. The second groups children are going into skilled/semiskilled jobs, like Plumbing, IT, Building Trades, but are now rejecting their Working Class roots, and thinking of themselves as Middle Class. These days, virtually no-one thinks of themselves as "Working Class".
The New Middle Class, refuse to see that there is still a Class system at all. The Old Middle Classes think of themselves as "Upper Middle Class", (To distinguish themselves as different to Thatcher's Home owning Middle Classes) The Working Class have picked up the "Middle Class" tag dropped by the ones who no longer accept Class as a social factor. They picked it up because they don't want to be mistaken for the Demographic they see themselves as "better than" The recently "Settled" Gypsies and Didikois. who are now in the reclaimed Council Housing that was sold on by Thatcher's climbers, then reposessed when the "Working Class" were fooled into voting Blair in. These settled Travelling Folk, know they are still Gypsy, but want to distance themselves from the European Roma, and the Pikey Irish, who they see as beneath them. And so on. The Upper Classes never change much.  They just ride out any recession on their Old Money and Good Family resources, much as they always have done. If any Career is taken, It's in the Square Mile.
Finance, or they take Silk.
So the Class system is still firmly entrenched in Britain, no matter what people say. The criteria for Class changes slowly, but the idea that there must always be someone below you, to peck and feel superior to, is hard to ditch, culturally.   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Captain Utopia

I hate that about the UK.  It still lives within me, despite having spent scant time there in the last decade.

navkat

Quote from: BadBeast on March 24, 2011, 04:24:41 AM
In the UK, the much of the working class now think of themselves as Middle Class. But it takes more than the fact we no longer have a Manufacturing Industry, to change the aspirations and values of a whole class of people. I see our class system as more reliant upon what our Grandparents were doing. Especially just after WWII. Many of the Men came back from the War, and went back to the Jobs they had left, and rejoined the Class that they had had before the War,
their children followed after them, and helped to establish the strong Trade Union movement. That we used to have.

Some Men came back from the War, but made the decision to make sure their children received a better education, and had access to more Career options than was available to them. Otherwise, what was the point of defending the Nation, if your children couldn't get a better deal. On a very simplistic level, one demographic stayed working class, the other, aspired to become Middle Class.
Then, when Thatcher came along and enabled everyone to be a Homeowner, both groups took advantage of this. The first group had made it. Property owning, educated, white collar, Professionals. In essence, Middle Class.

The second group, Property owning, minimum basic education, blue collar jobs, Wage earners. They became Working class Homeowners. And now there is no longer the scope of unskilled or semi skilled work available, their children go on to further education as well. The difference being that they (because of their working class roots) take Vocational Courses. The first group's children are taking Degree courses, and going on to Post-grad level. The second groups children are going into skilled/semiskilled jobs, like Plumbing, IT, Building Trades, but are now rejecting their Working Class roots, and thinking of themselves as Middle Class. These days, virtually no-one thinks of themselves as "Working Class".
The New Middle Class, refuse to see that there is still a Class system at all. The Old Middle Classes think of themselves as "Upper Middle Class", (To distinguish themselves as different to Thatcher's Home owning Middle Classes) The Working Class have picked up the "Middle Class" tag dropped by the ones who no longer accept Class as a social factor. They picked it up because they don't want to be mistaken for the Demographic they see themselves as "better than" The recently "Settled" Gypsies and Didikois. who are now in the reclaimed Council Housing that was sold on by Thatcher's climbers, then reposessed when the "Working Class" were fooled into voting Blair in. These settled Travelling Folk, know they are still Gypsy, but want to distance themselves from the European Roma, and the Pikey Irish, who they see as beneath them. And so on. The Upper Classes never change much.  They just ride out any recession on their Old Money and Good Family resources, much as they always have done. If any Career is taken, It's in the Square Mile.
Finance, or they take Silk.
So the Class system is still firmly entrenched in Britain, no matter what people say. The criteria for Class changes slowly, but the idea that there must always be someone below you, to peck and feel superior to, is hard to ditch, culturally.   

The internet is full of instances of cerebral discussions getting jacked and turning into personal drama.

Nowhere outside of PD.com have I seen so many instances of personal drama getting jacked and turning into cerebral shit.

Don Coyote

BB is high again and I like it.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: BadBeast on March 24, 2011, 04:24:41 AM
the idea that there must always be someone below you, to peck and feel superior to, is hard to ditch, culturally.Biologically

Standard primate behavior.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Faust

I think this is a social problem. I'd like to talk about it. Can we talk about it without anyone being offended by the crassness of being called white? I think this is important, actually. I might even go so far as to say that we need people with the middle-class freedom to think about things.
I think it's a really important issue. So you're saying the board hasn't gotten meaner its peoples social conditions changing and I think you're right for the most part with one or two exceptions. I doesn't if the board is mean or not (though it wont help), it's that regardless of its tone it will stagnate if numbers keep dropping. The idea of a recruitment drive has been something I've been mulling over, the only way to successfully do it (because advertising on the net will be like a beacon for stupid), is to have people here suggest the site to people they know.
Many of our current regular posters found the site though this method so it does work pretty well as a screening mechanism.

As to white and or privileged people composing a lot of our available audience there are a number of factors that cause that:
1) RAW and steve jackson both bring in people however they are nearly always of the geeky male variety.
2) A lot of what we portray ourselves with on the front page is very much what would appeal to college students.

Money and free time do dictate what kind of person will use this site. Its actually funny now that I have a 9 to 5 I'm getting to visit here more then ever before.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

I might even go so far as to say that we need people with the middle-class freedom to think about things.
Thinking of this again, there are a lot of problems there privilege only, people working to keep themselves in food and a roof over their head never get to consider say transgender reassignment or other costly personal issues. Freedom is a luxury or a side effect of luxury.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

AFK

I think it is as simple as the core group of long timers are getting older and assuming life responsibilities that come along with getting older.

Kids
Promotions at work which lead to more responsibility and less time to fuck off at work
Aging/dying parents
Mid Life Crises
etc
etc
etc

And I think that dovetails into Faust's post about dwindling numbers.  This place basically just needs some fresh blood to pump through the hardened arteries. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

hooplala

I still don't get the argument.  Nigel, could you elaborate?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman