News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

CRAMULUS

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 23, 2011, 11:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

To give my assessment of Nigel's original point, as I understand it, the term "white" does not have anything to do with skin color, but rather cultural privilege. So by referring to us all as "bored middle-class white people" she is saying that we have the money and cultural privilege to fritter away time on Discordia.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

i was brought here by a bored middle class chinese person  :lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The US is teeming with black middle-aged women poet-witches. I shit you not, it's a "thing".

As far as black Americans and religion, here:
http://www.religionlink.com/tip_070108.php
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Phox on April 02, 2011, 10:04:24 PM
To give my assessment of Nigel's original point, as I understand it, the term "white" does not have anything to do with skin color, but rather cultural privilege. So by referring to us all as "bored middle-class white people" she is saying that we have the money and cultural privilege to fritter away time on Discordia.

Yes, that was my original point. I even explained its origins; why I started playing around with the idea of race as a condition of privilege in the first place.

Race is interesting, partly because it's so fluid and difficult to define. Like gender it's a social construct, and like gender it's really fucking hard to pin down and discussing it makes people really uncomfortable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 02, 2011, 09:09:18 PM
So you're saying Nina Simone isn't Turkish?

Nina Simone is her own ethnic group.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Vaud

Most sociologists seem to agree that "race" is a sociocultural construct, rather than a biological one.  In other words, it doesn't have to do with color.  Initially, I was skeptical of this argument, as I do think that sociologists tend to almost intentionally overlook biology.  After doing a bit of research on this argument, however, from a genetic/biological basis, I found that I'm inclined to agree.  There is very little overlap between skin pigmentation (a biological adaptation) and racial designation.  A person can look white to me, yet consider themselves black, and yet move to another region and be considered black by the local majority, or maybe yet still black.  This can be pretty bothersome when the geographically based cultural designation differs from the individual's own assessment, and it happens in many places.  

As with gender designation, I feel that ultimately it should be up to the individual.  Perhaps even moreso with race, as there is really no significant correlation between genetic make-up and human racial classifications.
"Gee. He was just here a minute ago." -GC

Salty

QuoteMost sociologists seem to agree that "race" is a sociocultural construct

Well they would have to wouldn't they, that's sort of their bread and butter.  :lol:

While there are many sociocultural aspects of race and gender designation, most of those lead directly to misconceptions as most sociocultures are full of dumbasses. I don't see why constructs should have any more sway in these matters than meaty biology. ETA: I think they should have less sway.

I mean, obviously the sociocultural factors are important and have direct impact on our everyday lives, but they're also usually stupid and counter-productive. As GA said, you have to keep that white lab coat on, and keep it clean.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Alty on April 02, 2011, 11:01:30 PM
QuoteMost sociologists seem to agree that your face is a sociocultural construct

How I read this.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Salty

That's definitely what I was shooting for.

Vaud

Quote from: Alty on April 02, 2011, 11:01:30 PM
I mean, obviously the sociocultural factors are important and have direct impact on our everyday lives, but they're also usually stupid and counter-productive. As GA said, you have to keep that white lab coat on, and keep it clean.
I never take it off.  Problem is, there's no biological basis for race; the point of my post.

Salty

How so? How is darker skin as a result of countless generations spent in a sunny climate or lighter skin from less sun exposure not biological?

Or Native American inability to process alcohol the way Europeans do?

How do sociocultural constructs mitigate the biological factors?

Salty

Or are you trying to say that there is no inherent overriding unstoppable powerhouse of genetic basis for race?

Vaud

What I'm saying is, genetic correlations do not, for the most part, line up at all with social designations.  There is some small amount of genetic tracing toward shit like red hair, but the gradient of skin pigmentation typically correlated with cultural racial designations is not reasonably connected with genetic grouping.. at least as far as I can tell.

Requia ☣

Using genetic grouping also leads to things that are, from a social standpoint, less than sane, IE: a Pakistani is Caucasian, but from a social standpoint lumping them in with a European Caucasian doesn't make a lot of sense.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Freeky

I have noticed, however, that it is starting to not really matter what your lineage is, because I can't tell these fuckers apart half the time.

In other words, I personally don't see what matters except that my eye registers a darker skin tone when it's obvious (sometimes not even then), so maybe Nigel and people agreeing with that point of view have a point and skin tone doesn't really play a factor in race.  In fact, if you look at it from the bottom up (DNA to start with), there really is no such thing as race (except for sherpas, maybe), and it's all moot at this point, because every single one of us posting here has ridiculously good luck to have the internet and food and so on.