News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

The Boredom

Started by Reeducation, March 24, 2011, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeducation

I was bored, so I wrote this:

When you are bored, it is because you are not able to accept the moment. You just can't handle it.
You wish you were somewhere else doing something else.

Understand that no matter how hard you wish for that something else to happen, it is not going to fucking happen.
So hoping for something else to happen is pointless, useless and fucking stupid.

When you understand that the moment can't be changed, you will accept it.

Once you accept the moment, you will be bored no more.
Why would you be?

So the next time when you find yourself from a boring situation, remember:

Accept.

Just fucking accept it.
I am very calm

Cainad (dec.)

Huh. This is an interesting angle on the "live in the moment" mindset.

So boredom is a result of believing that the current moment, whatever it happens to contain, is not good enough or worth putting up with?

QuoteUnderstand that no matter how hard you wish for that something else to happen, it is not going to fucking happen.
So hoping for something else to happen is pointless, useless and fucking stupid.

At first brush this seems like a fatalistic or resigned approach, but then I realized how it works within the context of the rant, I think. When someone is bored with their immediate situation, they're most likely just trying to wait it out (i.e. wishing for something else to happen). The more appropriate reaction would be to fully immerse oneself in the boring moment and make shit happen for yourself, somehow.

Not a bad rant; I'd like to see the ideas developed more.

Reeducation

Quote from: Cainad on March 24, 2011, 09:43:20 PM
The more appropriate reaction would be to fully immerse oneself in the boring moment and make shit happen for yourself, somehow.

And once you are able to fully immerse yourself into that moment, it stops being boring.
Then you "are there" fully and there is no need for anything else.

It's about breaking the cycle. The cycle comes from the boredom feeding the daydreaming and daydreaming feeding the boredom.
So if you stop one of the two, you stop them both (edit: easier said than done).

"Relax, accept and observe."
-One wise man

I am very calm

Reeducation

Oh and this was meant for those situations where you really CAN'T do anything.
Like some meeting with your father-in-law where you have no way out.

If you can do something, then do. If you can't, accept it and don't try to escape it. It's pointless.
If you accept it, you will turn the situation into a not-boring experience.

It's like those avant-garde movies where they show you this scene, where nothing happens at all, for eight hours, but you are watching it just because. Yeah why are you watching it? :wink:
I am very calm