News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

And The Band Played On...

Started by Phox, March 25, 2011, 03:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

As a performer, it's not always easy sitting in the audience. Watching other people do what you love sometimes makes you want to just get up on stage and join them. But I can tell you from experience that those guys in the black shirts with earpieces don't generally like it when people try to do that. You're lucky if you get thrown out with just a busted nose.

But on this particular night, I wasn't so keen to get on stage. I was just digging the tunes and enjoying the show. The music was pretty upbeat, and the tempo was quick. The lyrics were a bit hard to make out, but they seemed to be emotional and heartfelt. Overall it was quite enjoyable. And the band played on...

After a while, I noticed that they just kept playing the same thing over and over. Just a little variation on the chords from time to time. But you know, it was pretty catchy , and the audience was as enthusiastic as ever, so i just kept bobbing my head and let it go. And the band played on...

At some point, I noticed that they stopped changing the chords. Now they were just playing the same song repeatedly. That was just a tad bit annoying. But it wasn't really a bad song, and the crowd was into it. Why change what works? And the band played on...

Then I finally got a good look at the stage show. I hadn't been able to see it before, because I was way in the back, but as the hours went by, I had slowly been pushing my way forward. Now that I saw it looked they had taken a page out GWAR's book. I've seen gorier, but I couldn't tell you when, and it really didn't fit the music. And sounded, just for a second, like the audience as screaming in terror, instead of adulation. And the band played on...

I thought about trying to work my way back out through the crowd, but you know, this song's growing on me. Nevermind the banal formula, they make it work. The lack of sincerity in the singer's voice isn't really a bad thing. And i've got to admire their dedication you know?

When that fire started onstage? The band played on.
When the riots broke out in the crowd? The band played on.
When the cops broke in and started cracking skulls? The band played on.

Sure, after a while it started to look like the aftermath of a Dethklok concert, and they kept playing the same generic pop song, but the band played on...

The Good Reverend Roger

I think I've just been insulted.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Whoops.  Read it wrong.

My bad.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Phox

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 25, 2011, 03:28:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 25, 2011, 03:25:23 AM
Whoops.  Read it wrong.

My bad.
Still kinda confused, but okay.  :)

I am not required to make sense to people who have factory-condition brains, remember?

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 25, 2011, 03:28:50 AM
Whoops.  Read it wrong.

My bad.

I am not required to make sense to people who have factory-condition brains, remember?
I have no idea if I should take that as an insult or not.  :lol:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 25, 2011, 03:35:54 AM
Whoops.  Read it wrong.

My bad.

Naw.  Since the whole brain virus thing, I have good days and some bad ones.  This is one of the bad ones.

Mostly because Enabler and Freeky are plotting.  Plotting, I tell you.

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 25, 2011, 03:37:37 AM
Whoops.  Read it wrong.

My bad.

Naw.  Since the whole brain virus thing, I have good days and some bad ones.  This is one of the bad ones.

:lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 25, 2011, 03:40:35 AM
Whoops.  Read it wrong.

My bad.

On days like today, I have to rely entirely on fore-brains, because the back of the brain says that everyone is my enemy and that my government is hopelessly corrupt and evil.

Then I feel better in a day or two, and the band plays on.

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 25, 2011, 03:41:59 AM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 25, 2011, 03:40:35 AM
Whoops.  Read it wrong.

My bad.

On days like today, I have to rely entirely on fore-brains, because the back of the brain says that everyone is my enemy and that my government is hopelessly corrupt and evil.

Then I feel better in a day or two, and the band plays on.
The back of your brain may be half right.

Phox

Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 25, 2011, 03:17:40 AM
As a performer, it's not always easy sitting in the audience. Watching other people do what you love sometimes makes you want to just get up on stage and join them. But I can tell you from experience that those guys in the black shirts with earpieces don't generally like it when people try to do that. You're lucky if you get thrown out with just a busted nose.

But on this particular night, I wasn't so keen to get on stage. I was just digging the tunes and enjoying the show. The music was pretty upbeat, and the tempo was quick. The lyrics were a bit hard to make out, but they seemed to be emotional and heartfelt. Overall it was quite enjoyable. And the band played on...

After a while, I noticed that they just kept playing the same thing over and over. Just a little variation on the chords from time to time. But you know, it was pretty catchy , and the audience was as enthusiastic as ever, so i just kept bobbing my head and let it go. And the band played on...

At some point, I noticed that they stopped changing the chords. Now they were just playing the same song repeatedly. That was just a tad bit annoying. But it wasn't really a bad song, and the crowd was into it. Why change what works? And the band played on...

Then I finally got a good look at the stage show. I hadn't been able to see it before, because I was way in the back, but as the hours went by, I had slowly been pushing my way forward. Now that I saw it looked they had taken a page out GWAR's book. I've seen gorier, but I couldn't tell you when, and it really didn't fit the music. And sounded, just for a second, like the audience as screaming in terror, instead of adulation. And the band played on...

I thought about trying to work my way back out through the crowd, but you know, this song's growing on me. Nevermind the banal formula, they make it work. The lack of sincerity in the singer's voice isn't really a bad thing. And i've got to admire their dedication you know?

Sure, after a while it started to look like the aftermath of a Dethklok concert, and they kept playing the same generic pop song, but the band played on...
Bump.

Quote from: Doktor Phox on March 25, 2011, 03:17:40 AM
Double bump.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger