News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

The Salton Sea

Started by Nast, March 26, 2011, 07:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

I'm reading about the Salton Sea for a report for school, and my word this place is AMAZING. If Tucson is Eris' Holy City, then the Sea must be her Unholy Bathtub.

It has beaches made entirely of decomposing fish bones, and loathsome sludge-like water that glows at night with the light of bioluminescent bacteria. The pollution is atrocious, and the only fish that can tolerate the high salinity are tilapia, which aren't safe to eat on account of being filled with botulism. And that's not to mention the urban decay.

The kicker is that when the sea dries up and becomes merely a gigantic toxic lake bed, poisonous dust laden with selenium from agricultural pollution will be picked up by the desert wind and will degrade the air quality for miles and miles around.

It all sounds lovely, doesn't it?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

East Coast Hustle

I've always wanted to see that place out of a sense of morbid curiosity.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Disco Pickle

when I was much smaller than I am now and learning the geography of the world, I had a very strong interest in both the salton sea and the dead sea..  I remember reading about them both very intently.  I'm not sure why, but it likely has something to do with the fact that I've never lived more than 10 miles from a salt water source. 

I don't know how you land locked spags do it.   That would drive me nuts..  arrrrg
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Man, I saw an amazing photoessay on this place a few years ago, by a couple on vacation... I tried to find it again but I couldn't. I think it was by some friends of a friend.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 26, 2011, 09:48:00 PM
when I was much smaller than I am now and learning the geography of the world, I had a very strong interest in both the salton sea and the dead sea..  I remember reading about them both very intently.  I'm not sure why, but it likely has something to do with the fact that I've never lived more than 10 miles from a salt water source. 

I don't know how you land locked spags do it.   That would drive me nuts..  arrrrg

Land locked saltwater sources are not exactly an improvement over no saltwater.  At least the Salton Sea can support one kind of fish, the Great Salt Lake can't even do that.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 26, 2011, 10:22:34 PM
Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 26, 2011, 09:48:00 PM

Land locked saltwater sources are not exactly an improvement over no saltwater.  At least the Salton Sea can support one kind of fish, the Great Salt Lake can't even do that.

I think the draw was just the salt water thing.   Even both of those are too far from an ocean for me to feel comfortable.   

I'm now beginning to wonder if there's a medical term for this, or if it's just a life long preference due to life long exposure.   
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

having lived no where near an ocean ever it creeps me out and im afraid to be in it past my knees lol

Disco Pickle

Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on March 26, 2011, 10:48:09 PM
having lived no where near an ocean ever it creeps me out and im afraid to be in it past my knees lol

I once jumped off a boat just to swim with a whale shark that was cruising around us while we were anchored off the coast of Progresso, Mexico.  The captain told me he didn't give me permission, but wouldn't stop me because fuck, we were all bored as shit and the water was glass, so it's not like I was going to get carried off. 

one of the best moments of my life.

Jenne

My dad was in prison out near there, it's called "Centinela."  What was said about Mos Isley is exactly what you can say about Centinela, and by extract, The Salton Sea.  It's a very wretched place, everything out there is just so very desperate.  It's like everything lives with a thirst that will never be slaked, a desire that will never be fulfilled. 

Very much a forgotten and abused wasteland of anything that resides there.

Suu

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on March 26, 2011, 11:01:07 PM
Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on March 26, 2011, 10:48:09 PM

I once jumped off a boat just to swim with a whale shark that was cruising around us while we were anchored off the coast of Progresso, Mexico.  The captain told me he didn't give me permission, but wouldn't stop me because fuck, we were all bored as shit and the water was glass, so it's not like I was going to get carried off. 

one of the best moments of my life.

I really want to do that. Whale sharks are AWESOME.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."