News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

FAO: Spags what like to hit other spags

Started by Don Coyote, March 27, 2011, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

WUT?

They allow feders in rapier lists now?

OK, you just fucking blew my mind.

Luna

Quote from: Donald Coyote on March 28, 2011, 04:24:36 PM
WUT?

Next time they're playing with 'em, I'll see if I can get some pics for ya.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Quote from: Donald Coyote on March 28, 2011, 04:24:36 PM
WUT?

Long gone are the days of epee and foil. We fight with true rapier and schlager blades now, as well as approved carbon steel broad blades as long as you follow the SCA fencing rules. (thrusts, tip cuts and draw cuts. No percussive hits, that's for Cut and Thrust combat rules, which in the EK is another rapier qual.)

I'mma getting me one of these eventually:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Don Coyote

Triple Zero

So is this oldskool blade fighting actually useful in some sort of modern setting, or is it really just cool to fight with olsdkool swords and shit?

Of course in the US it's always "don't bring a knife to a gunfight", but say there aren't any guns (like in most of Europe) (except of course you're also not allowed to carry swords in most of Europe).

Is this useful?

What if you don't have a sword but just a longish knife? Where do you learn to use those? [though most practical martial arts teachers will tell you, if there's a knife, gtfo, cause it'll slash you just too fucking easily, even if you got all the skills in the world]

I'm just wondering. I'm strictly interested in the practical/realistic side of learning how to fight (even though I'm not that skilled in it, like, about 6x3 hours of ju-jitsu skilled, but I'll start again this summer, I think)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 28, 2011, 11:13:08 PM
So is this oldskool blade fighting actually useful in some sort of modern setting, or is it really just cool to fight with olsdkool swords and shit?

Of course in the US it's always "don't bring a knife to a gunfight", but say there aren't any guns (like in most of Europe) (except of course you're also not allowed to carry swords in most of Europe).

Is this useful?

What if you don't have a sword but just a longish knife? Where do you learn to use those? [though most practical martial arts teachers will tell you, if there's a knife, gtfo, cause it'll slash you just too fucking easily, even if you got all the skills in the world]

I'm just wondering. I'm strictly interested in the practical/realistic side of learning how to fight (even though I'm not that skilled in it, like, about 6x3 hours of ju-jitsu skilled, but I'll start again this summer, I think)

No. Not really. Especially the Harnischfechten. Others will disagree, but generally no. Ringen sure and some dolchfecten, but a good deal of that still focused towards wearing armor and defeating a similar armed and armoured singular oppenent.

It's just for fun. For a given value of fun. It could have self-defense viability, but if that is your sole purpose for studying the old school stuff, be better off taking something specifically self-defense oriented.

Luna

Main advantages?  Exercise.  Also, the mindset is useful.  When I'm fencing, at least part of my brain is aware that if something goes terribly wrong, and we have an equipment failure and both go braindead at the same time, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Richter, Suu, or one of the others will be trying to figure out whether they should get the sword out of my fragile body or call the emergency line first.  (Leave the sword, make the call, TYVM.)  

It builds confidence, which shows on or off the field.  This is a big one for me, considering I often walk home at night through the city after midnight.  If you walk like a victim, you get treated like one.  Walk like you'll kick a fucker's ass if he tries something, odds are they'll look for easier prey.

Fighting in the SCA, you build melee sense.  You're more aware of what's going on around you, who's a threat, and what movement is happening.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Don Coyote

Oh ya, it's exercise. Knew I forgot a good reason. :lulz:

Triple Zero

Quote from: Luna on March 28, 2011, 11:55:39 PMMain advantages?  Exercise.  Also, the mindset is useful.  When I'm fencing, at least part of my brain is aware that if something goes terribly wrong, and we have an equipment failure and both go braindead at the same time, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Richter, Suu, or one of the others will be trying to figure out whether they should get the sword out of my fragile body or call the emergency line first.  (Leave the sword, make the call, TYVM.)

Danger. Yeah, I often get the same sense when playing korfball.

Mystery where they get the swords from every time, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 29, 2011, 08:58:56 PM
Quote from: Luna on March 28, 2011, 11:55:39 PMMain advantages?  Exercise.  Also, the mindset is useful.  When I'm fencing, at least part of my brain is aware that if something goes terribly wrong, and we have an equipment failure and both go braindead at the same time, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Richter, Suu, or one of the others will be trying to figure out whether they should get the sword out of my fragile body or call the emergency line first.  (Leave the sword, make the call, TYVM.)

Danger. Yeah, I often get the same sense when playing korfball.

Mystery where they get the swords from every time, though.

Korfball?  Interesting...  (Had to Google that one.)  Yep, any team sport would likely help with that, too.   :lulz:

Suu

Quote from: Luna on March 28, 2011, 11:55:39 PM
Main advantages?  Exercise.  Also, the mindset is useful.  When I'm fencing, at least part of my brain is aware that if something goes terribly wrong, and we have an equipment failure and both go braindead at the same time, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Richter, Suu, or one of the others will be trying to figure out whether they should get the sword out of my fragile body or call the emergency line first.  (Leave the sword, make the call, TYVM.)  

It builds confidence, which shows on or off the field.  This is a big one for me, considering I often walk home at night through the city after midnight.  If you walk like a victim, you get treated like one.  Walk like you'll kick a fucker's ass if he tries something, odds are they'll look for easier prey.

Fighting in the SCA, you build melee sense.  You're more aware of what's going on around you, who's a threat, and what movement is happening.

But for someone like me, with almost 20 years of martial arts experience, the way we train in the SCA is kind of a fucking joke. I've told you all before. It's fun, it's exercise, but 90% of the time not practical.

I learned awareness of my situation growing up in a rough city. The way real people move on drugs or even on the adrenaline of wanting to attack you outside of a game or a sport is WAY different than you think. I can tell malicious intent by the way someone is looking at me, or moving toward me. On the battlefield, you don't move like that, you aren't out to kill, you're out to swishy poke and get a swig of water. Same thing with an Eastern style tournament. You're padded, you're just applying your techniques in a sport-like setting, and you have no idea how it would feel to side kick an unprotected rib or break a wrist for REAL outside of drills. (I have, and it's NOT PLEASANT. In fact, it's a bit nerve-wracking.)

Training in a sport does not give you the same awareness. It gives you confidence, sure, but do you REALLY know what you're going to do if and when you're seriously attacked? Probably not. There's no exact science.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on March 29, 2011, 11:18:41 PM

But for someone like me, with almost 20 years of martial arts experience, the way we train in the SCA is kind of a fucking joke. I've told you all before. It's fun, it's exercise, but 90% of the time not practical.

I learned awareness of my situation growing up in a rough city. The way real people move on drugs or even on the adrenaline of wanting to attack you outside of a game or a sport is WAY different than you think. I can tell malicious intent by the way someone is looking at me, or moving toward me. On the battlefield, you don't move like that, you aren't out to kill, you're out to swishy poke and get a swig of water. Same thing with an Eastern style tournament. You're padded, you're just applying your techniques in a sport-like setting, and you have no idea how it would feel to side kick an unprotected rib or break a wrist for REAL outside of drills. (I have, and it's NOT PLEASANT. In fact, it's a bit nerve-wracking.)

Training in a sport does not give you the same awareness. It gives you confidence, sure, but do you REALLY know what you're going to do if and when you're seriously attacked? Probably not. There's no exact science.

Suu more or less hit the primary reason why I was looking at non-SCA WMA school. Of course if I were primarily interested in a self defence art, I would go back to Aikido, which despite it's stigma of being all soft and crap, can be brutal and hard in the right dojo (or so the blood stains in my gi seem to say).

And I looked into Caid's rapier handbook, there was no mention of the usage of feders in C&T, granted the most current version there on the kingdom marshal page was from 2007. On top of that, provided there were allowed in C&T you have to have a heavy rapier authorization for a year before authorizing for C&T.

In addition, Caid has the, presumably no longer experimental, unarmored combat from, but I ran afoul of the people who were starting it back in '04 over them being resistant to using a period resource as a guideline for weapon lengths. They quite literally would not give me an inch.

Roaring Biscuit!

i read the second link as:

academy o' farms.

deary me.

Suu

Quote from: Donald Coyote on March 30, 2011, 01:02:44 AM
Quote from: Suu the Infallible on March 29, 2011, 11:18:41 PM

Suu more or less hit the primary reason why I was looking at non-SCA WMA school. Of course if I were primarily interested in a self defence art, I would go back to Aikido, which despite it's stigma of being all soft and crap, can be brutal and hard in the right dojo (or so the blood stains in my gi seem to say).

And I looked into Caid's rapier handbook, there was no mention of the usage of feders in C&T, granted the most current version there on the kingdom marshal page was from 2007. On top of that, provided there were allowed in C&T you have to have a heavy rapier authorization for a year before authorizing for C&T.

In addition, Caid has the, presumably no longer experimental, unarmored combat from, but I ran afoul of the people who were starting it back in '04 over them being resistant to using a period resource as a guideline for weapon lengths. They quite literally would not give me an inch.

Things have changed A LOT since 2007. Especially in the East Kingdom. And if OUR sissy ass fencers can start playing with real swords, certainly the pansy Elizabethan fops in Caid can compete with our Imperial splendor.

-Suu
Occasionally also, a fop.

Don Coyote

:lulz:
if only the main marshall for my home barony wasn't a douche, i would have asked if there is a more recent rapier handbook. cuz fuck if am going to do rapier for a year  just to be able to play c&t when i want to. Silver is one my first hema loves.