News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Map of Dingo's Discordia

Started by Placid Dingo, March 29, 2011, 02:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Mapped out a visualisation of the things in Discordia, or in my head connected to it, that I presently find interesting. I've tied in the links to ideas of games as I've been influenced by in this forum, the Cressing framework I'm experimenting with, the fascination with memes that's come from here and Art of Memetics, as well as the concepts of personality hacking I got from that work, the way in which my interest in Post-Graffiti ties in and a few other links.

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

El Sjaako

Very pretty!

The only comment I have is that Improv Anywhere is not actually improv. I believe they even rehearse (but even if they don't, it is scripted).

Telarus

Quote from: Placid Dingo on March 29, 2011, 02:15:45 PM
Mapped out a visualisation of the things in Discordia, or in my head connected to it, that I presently find interesting. I've tied in the links to ideas of games as I've been influenced by in this forum, the Cressing framework I'm experimenting with, the fascination with memes that's come from here and Art of Memetics, as well as the concepts of personality hacking I got from that work, the way in which my interest in Post-Graffiti ties in and a few other links.

Fuck YES. More of these. I also think we need to seriously think about drawing up a network/node map for the forum (to track internal and external connections).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Placid Dingo

Thanks El, I appreciate you having a look, especially since most of it's probably unintelligible without being me.

Telarus I like that. Know any good collaborative mind mapping software?

Placid Dingo

Also It's an interesting question of when improvisation is real and when it's rehearsed, since both rehearsed action and 'true improv' hold elements of eachother.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Placid Dingo on March 30, 2011, 06:39:16 AM
Also It's an interesting question of when improvisation is real and when it's rehearsed, since both rehearsed action and 'true improv' hold elements of eachother.

The "Improv" I've done, most of our rehearsals were just improv games. Basically it was about working your chops and getting our shit in sync. The games were the same for most performances, but the details were always provided by the audience. When you get down to it, there's really only x-number of scenarios that can be played out "people at a party", "people at a store", "people doing things in a place." Having the random element of who are the people and what are they doing is what made it improv. Usually when doing a scripted show, throwing non-scripted things in there is referred to as ad-lib. Just checked the dictionary and it basically says they're synonymous, but I've only very rarely heard those terms used interchangeably.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Triple Zero

Quote from: Placid Dingo on March 30, 2011, 06:39:16 AM

You can make the case that for the literal interpretation of "improvisation", yes the volunteers are often improvising their reactions to the public in a way they didn't rehearse. Working with a live and unsuspecting audience that's unavoidable.

However it is not "improv theatre" in the sense that this term is normally understood. Because Improv Everywhere's performances are usually very heavily scripted, and "improv theatre" in the traditional sense often explicitly adds the challenge of "anything goes" audience input and elements of chance to the game, to stimulate and emphasize the improvisational character. Improv Everywhere seems to try to leave as little of their performance to chance as possible (even in the more freestyle "let's see how they react" events). Nothing wrong with the latter, of course, some of Improv Everywhere's biggest successes wouldn't have been as awesome if it hadn't been for that level of fine control.

In short there's the word "improvisation" and the term "improv theatre", and Improv Everywhere usually involves the former but not the latter.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just had an "ah-ha!" moment about trolling as an art... it's really a form of online improvisational performance art, in which you choose a character and then interact with an unsuspecting audience, reacting in character to their interactions with your performance. :)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2011, 07:22:42 PM
I just had an "ah-ha!" moment about trolling as an art... it's really a form of online improvisational performance art, in which you choose a character and then interact with an unsuspecting audience, reacting in character to their interactions with your performance. :)

Hey you remember back when they called trolling "Usenet Performance Art", right?

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 13, 2011, 09:33:04 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 13, 2011, 07:22:42 PM

Hey you remember back when they called trolling "Usenet Performance Art", right?

That vaguely rings a bell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I vaguely recall calling it "Performance art" in the past, but not "Internet Improvisational Theater". Which is really what it is, even more than performance art.

Placid Dingo