News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY ROCK N ROLL?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 31, 2011, 03:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Eli August said to me yesterday that while he was at an event this past weekend, he made $50 off of his CDs and shirts over the course of 3 days.

...The guy who said he would staple his dick to his thigh for $50 made that in 30 secs after saying he would do it.

Music is dead. Long live the music.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Luna

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 01, 2011, 06:03:28 PM
I'm just wondering when this whole auto-tune thing is going to die.  I remember back in the 80s when artists got shit for lip-syncing at performances instead of playing live.  Now, every other pop star-let has their vocal chords digitally enhanced.  I mean, fuck, if we are going to have robotic singing can't we at least have real robots doing the singing? 

Not a robot, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI

This do for ya, Rev?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mangrove

So the Japanese have the technology to create a virtual 3D popstar with a live backing band and yet they lack the skill to wave their glow sticks in time.

Even drunk people waving lighters and yelling 'FREEEEBIRRRRDDDD' have more co-ordination.

Weird.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 01, 2011, 06:09:18 PM
I'm just wondering when this whole auto-tune thing is going to die.  I remember back in the 80s when artists got shit for lip-syncing at performances instead of playing live.  Now, every other pop star-let has their vocal chords digitally enhanced.  I mean, fuck, if we are going to have robotic singing can't we at least have real robots doing the singing? 

It won't.  Just like doubling the lead vocal was once a revolutionary technique when multi-tracking came out, just like using computerized beats was once sacrilige, just like click tracks and non-linear editing was cheating, all are considered mainstays and pillars of pop music these days.

The hard tune (i.e. "obvious") function may die down, but now that we have the ability to autotune, it will never go away.  

i thought sort of it went the other way around, in a way:

producers already used autotune for ages, in order to tune up the popstars that couldn't actually sing (britney spears, madonna--probably not the earlier madonna, but definitely from Ray of Light and onward). but they did it very carefully at first so it was barely noticeable, plus the popstars actually tried to sing in tune, so not much correction was needed.

then came Cher with "Believe (in life after love)" [december 1998], in which the producer used autotune in a very obvious manner, for effect (and he only used it in two or three syllables). the success of that track spawned a huge number of somewhat less subtly used autotune effects, together with the "filterhouse" genre, Cassius and Daft Punk.

after that, the autotune died down a littlebit, actual vocoders gained a bit of ground with more Daft Punk releases and a revival of electro/electro-clash by Anthony Rother and Dave Clarke (in europe, at least) (this is still a couple of years ago).

and then at some point, the autotuner came back with a fucking vengeance. I'm not exactly sure with which song it was, might have been Snoop Dogg - Sensual Seduction [2008], cause I remember explaining some girl about vocoders and how fucking awesome they are, and a while later she messaged me with this title, asked me "like this?" and I remember thinking "hey yeah, that's pretty cool", which was about the last time I thought autotuners were kinda cool and awesome as vocoders are, because shortly after that they EXPLODED ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE and became really really trite and over-used.

a while after that people on youtube started autotuning politicians and carl sagan, and also being used in non electronic music such as rock groups, and it's all going downhill from there.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Phox

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 01, 2011, 06:09:18 PM

It won't.  Just like doubling the lead vocal was once a revolutionary technique when multi-tracking came out, just like using computerized beats was once sacrilige, just like click tracks and non-linear editing was cheating, all are considered mainstays and pillars of pop music these days.

The hard tune (i.e. "obvious") function may die down, but now that we have the ability to autotune, it will never go away.  
And this is why I will always be a shitty singer in a shitty garage band.  :lol:

Vaud

Vocal effects can be cool, but I think the overabundant use in the industry is triggered by the fact that it's easier to find someone who can act the right way, and fuck the singing, just autotune it, right?  The music's mostly shit anyway right.  Though in the end, I tend to agree that's it's obviously weirdly subjective and as someone said in another post, noise or noise and rhythm.
"Gee. He was just here a minute ago." -GC

Triple Zero

I'm still of the opinion that vocoders (as opposed to autotuners) are AWESOME ALWAYS.

And that no amount of over-use can EVER spoil them, EVER.

I DARE the gods of the music industry to try and make the vocoder into a trite and over used effect, DO IT!! DO IT NOW! :fap:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Rock n roll in 2025 will consist entirely of autotuned air horns and giant animatronic reproductive organs.

Mark my words.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 01, 2011, 11:53:58 PM
I'm still of the opinion that vocoders (as opposed to autotuners) are AWESOME ALWAYS.

I DARE the gods of the music industry to try and make the vocoder into a trite and over used effect, DO IT!! DO IT NOW! :fap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: Nigel on April 03, 2011, 05:44:15 PM

You know, I click and watch every time, and the only thing that I ever think.... WHO THE FUCK WROTE THE LYRICS!? A RETARDED ROCK!? ACTUALLY I TAKE THAT BACK. IT'S AN INSULT TO RETARDED ROCKS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Phox on April 03, 2011, 05:50:18 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 03, 2011, 05:44:15 PM

You know, I click and watch every time, and the only thing that I ever think.... WHO THE FUCK WROTE THE LYRICS!? A RETARDED ROCK!? ACTUALLY I TAKE THAT BACK. IT'S AN INSULT TO RETARDED ROCKS.

They are THE WORST lyrics. I feel sorry for the little girl, and I am horrified that her parents are letting her ruin her life like this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also... WHAT THE HELL IS A 13-YEAR-OLD DOING DRIVING AROUND WITH A BUNCH OF OLDER KIDS AND GOING TO HOUSE PARTIES??? FUUUUUUCK!!

Jasper

But Nigel, yesterday was THURSDAY!

So, that means...

like...

fuckin'...

TOMORROW IS SATURDAY!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 03, 2011, 06:16:36 PM
But Nigel, yesterday was THURSDAY!

So, that means...

like...

fuckin'...

TOMORROW IS SATURDAY!

:lulz:

Requia ☣

What I want to know is when the damned loudness wars are going to end.  There's a lot of theoretically really good music out there right now that I simply can't listen to because its constantly peaked and I can't deal with the ear fatigue for even one song, and ear fatigue aside, it's just flat out not as good as if they'd go back to old mixing practices (hell the entire reason vinyl got a reputation as being better sound quality than CDs is that you can't do the loudness wars on vinyl).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.