News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Psst! Nigel!

Started by East Coast Hustle, April 01, 2011, 08:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Best Mercury comments thread maybe ever. In fact, this one is just as good (in a different way) as the anarchist band names thread on Blogtown.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/the-pickup-artist/Content?oid=3719847
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

This paper looks like the Boston and Providence Phoenix.  :lulz:

PLEASE tell there there's a whole insert with ads for brothels, spas, and she-males.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Oh totally. Most of the alternative weeklies are owned by one of two companies, so they tend to all look pretty much the same with the only notable difference being the quality of the feature writing, an area in which the Mercury is so abjectly awful that it's actually fun to read for the sheer terribleness of it.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 01, 2011, 07:10:30 PM
Oh totally. Most of the alternative weeklies are owned by one of two companies, so they tend to all look pretty much the same with the only notable difference being the quality of the feature writing, an area in which the Mercury is so abjectly awful that it's actually fun to read for the sheer terribleness of it.

One of the reasons the writing is so awful is that they will do ANYTHING to avoid paying for it, and there are enough mediocre wanna-be writers desperate just for publication credit that they rarely have to.

And you get what you pay for.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

That, and the management team is all the people who weren't good enough for The Stranger.

I'll let THAT sink in for a minute.

Jasper

I clean at the Mercury.  The place has this vibe of desperate coolness.  As if a dozen or so english majors have been trying to stay on the cutting edge of cool for far too long for anyone's good.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 01, 2011, 09:15:51 PM
I clean at the Mercury. 

wait, WHAT?

:lulz:

Oh, we've got plans for you.

Jasper

I'm open to suggestions, but I won't do anything I could get caught for unless you've got a replacement job lined up. 

East Coast Hustle

nah, I was thinking more of "leave the odd poster or piece of literature laying around" than anything you'd get in trouble for.

Jasper

Done.  In fact I can't think of why I haven't already.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on April 01, 2011, 08:29:37 PM
That, and the management team is all the people who weren't good enough for The Stranger.

I'll let THAT sink in for a minute.

:horrormirth:

Laughin Jude

I read this article while I was having my morning smoke today, too. I'll be damned.

QuoteMy site promises to help men become more attractive to women.

Understand?

The techniques are universal, son.

Hoo boy. I'm guessing this guy has a popped collar and spiked hair, right?
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension