News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Comics

Started by The Commander, April 02, 2011, 08:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Commander

Which comics do you think are truly Discordian in nature?

Has anyone read Sore Thumbs?

http://sorethumbs.keenspot.com/
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Commander on April 02, 2011, 08:26:07 PM

Define "Discordian in nature", please.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Commander

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 02, 2011, 08:28:14 PM

I figure the term is pretty open ended.  That's part of why I was asking.  It insteresting to see how peoples definition of Discordian varies.
The Commander
DIA
Discordian Intelligence Agency

Payne

Quote from: The Commander on April 02, 2011, 08:46:31 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 02, 2011, 08:28:14 PM

I figure the term is pretty open ended.  That's part of why I was asking.  It insteresting to see how peoples definition of Discordian varies.

Ah, you're looking for this then

Triple Zero

It doesn't need repeating but, for completeness, Transmetropolitan. Make sure to read it, it's awesome, inspiring and funny. Short description: Gonzo journalism in a cyberpunk/futuristic setting.

Hmm cyberpunk. That makes me wonder about the logical conclusion, Brassmetropolitan?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jasper

Okay so I have no idea what Discordian in "nature" means, but here's the ones I keep fairly current with:

XKCD
Johnny Wander
The Oatmeal
Meek Comic
Lego Robot
Dead Winter
Rice Boy
Oglaf
Questionable Content
Order of the Stick
Erfworld
Pictures for Sad Children
Subnormality
SMBC
Chainsawsuit
Hyperbole And A Half
Dr. McNinja
Nedroid
Wondermark
Dresden Codak

...Your mileage may vary.  And if you're going to fail at life and read as many of them as I do, keep them all in one folder so you can open them all at once and have your daily comics out of the way in a few minutes, as opposed to several hours.

Triple Zero

I thought the One Over Zero series (also on keenspot) did pretty well in the "mindfuck" department, questioning the reality tunnel and such. Even though it was written by a Christian dude.

If you're looking for lol23pineal stuff, try Triangle & Robert. They're pretty awesome, and have slightly more plot than Pokey the Penguin.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Laughin Jude

I love Axe Cop. It's not just because I think it's funny (especially the Ask Axe Cop section where Malachai answers readers' questions) but because it's such a perfect window into how a kid's mind works. Unibabies, spontaneous mutations caused by exposure to other species' bodily fluids, a trex with minigun arms, talking dogs that shoot lasers out of their mouths, a cop who dresses like a cat at night so he can sneak into "bad guys'" houses and chop their heads off with his fireman axe... and all without a hint of self-awareness or irony or any attempt at being artistic or edgy.

It may not be "Discordian" in the 23FnordSNAFU sense, but if you want something that will challenge your basic assumptions about reality, you really can't go wrong with reading a story written by a 5 year old.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Jasper

Forgot about them!  I like that too.

And "Copper".

Vaud

I 2nd the Transmetropolitan.  Fucking fantastic books; I recommend them often.
"Gee. He was just here a minute ago." -GC

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Gone With The Blastwave was good while it lasted.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 02, 2011, 09:09:25 PM
Okay so I have no idea what Discordian in "nature" means, but here's the ones I keep fairly current with:

XKCD
Johnny Wander
The Oatmeal
Meek Comic
Lego Robot
Dead Winter
Rice Boy
Oglaf
Questionable Content
Order of the Stick
Erfworld
Subnormality
SMBC
Chainsawsuit
Hyperbole And A Half
Dr. McNinja
Nedroid
Wondermark
Dresden Codak

...Your mileage may vary.  And if you're going to fail at life and read as many of them as I do, keep them all in one folder so you can open them all at once and have your daily comics out of the way in a few minutes, as opposed to several hours.

BECAUSE, I'M INTERESTED,

but have heard of almost none of these titles, are these in print or online things? you're in pdx, where do you find this stuff?
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Don Coyote

Quote from: E.O.T. on April 03, 2011, 01:07:37 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 02, 2011, 09:09:25 PM

XKCD
Johnny Wander
The Oatmeal
Meek Comic
Lego Robot
Dead Winter
Rice Boy
Oglaf
Questionable Content
Order of the Stick
Erfworld
Subnormality
SMBC
Chainsawsuit
Hyperbole And A Half
Dr. McNinja
Nedroid
Wondermark
Dresden Codak

BECAUSE, I'M INTERESTED,

but have heard of almost none of these titles, are these in print or online things? you're in pdx, where do you find this stuff?
http://drmcninja.com/
http://dresdencodak.com/
http://wondermark.com/
http://www.questionablecontent.net/

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 02, 2011, 09:05:56 PM
It doesn't need repeating but, for completeness, Transmetropolitan. Make sure to read it, it's awesome, inspiring and funny. Short description: Gonzo journalism in a cyberpunk/futuristic setting.

Hmm cyberpunk. That makes me wonder about the logical conclusion, Brassmetropolitan?

Salty

My Milk Toof is hella discordian. And ADORABLE!
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.