"If you could pass the guacamole, that would be AWESOME!"

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, April 04, 2011, 04:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

This is a great RSA talk by Steven Pinker on Language as A Window Into Human Nature. The sketch style animation is a very nice touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-son3EJTrU
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

I like it.

And now you know it, and I know you know it, and you know that I know you know it.  It's out there.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Jasper

Rumckle

I watched that a couple of months ago, it is fairly interesting, however I disagreed with one of his examples, the bribe one. I'd think that the main reason the bribe isn't made too obvious is for legal deniability in case the cope doesn't take it.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rumckle on April 04, 2011, 10:41:00 PM
I watched that a couple of months ago, it is fairly interesting, however I disagreed with one of his examples, the bribe one. I'd think that the main reason the bribe isn't made too obvious is for legal deniability in case the cope doesn't take it.

The relationship between the cop and the driver is a Dominance one, because he may need legal deniability should the cop not take the bribe. Thus he uses the indirect speech act. If they were in a communality relationship, he would be comfortable saying "Meh, here's fifty bucks dude..." :)

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

well i liked it, but i thought you said RZA, so i was disappoint RZA wasnt the dude presenting it  :lol:

Rumckle

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 04, 2011, 10:55:30 PM
Quote from: Rumckle on April 04, 2011, 10:41:00 PM

The relationship between the cop and the driver is a Dominance one, because he may need legal deniability should the cop not take the bribe. Thus he uses the indirect speech act. If they were in a communality relationship, he would be comfortable saying "Meh, here's fifty bucks dude..." :)

Yes but, in the others it is social deniability and he doesn't state the difference, legal deniability is an entire different kettle of fish. Unless I'm misremembering, I'll have to watch it again when I get a chance.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 04, 2011, 04:47:59 PM
This is a great RSA talk by Steven Pinker on Language as A Window Into Human Nature. The sketch style animation is a very nice touch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-son3EJTrU

Can't youtube at the moment, but why is Pinker giving cryptography talks?  Or am I totally not understanding what this is.

Edit: nevermind.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.