News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Netbook Spags...

Started by Suu, April 05, 2011, 03:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I'm looking at a few models since prices have gone way down, and I'm considering a purchase. Basically I would be using it for travel, note-taking, and giving presentations at panels, so it would have to have VGA output and be able to pull Open Office (I don't have Powerpoint and it's too goddamn expensive to add it on anyway!)

What models are floating around that you all have? What's the best deal? And can I get a presentation to play on one of these? Linux is fine as long as I have no issues with cross-compatibility from my Windows PC where I'll be making the presentation first.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Vaud

I've had the Aspire One since they first came out... not the shiniest fanciest thing around, but it's lasted well.  It's been dropped, it's had beer spilled all over it, it's been sat on, slept on until it overheated, and the fucker still gets the job done.  

What price range are you looking for though?  That pretty much decides your options for performance.  I mean, this little puppy will give you excellent performance compared to most other netbooks, but it'll cost you more too.

EDIT: Usually there's a price-perf sweetspot with hardware, but as far as I know, these netbook models aren't so drastically different as to create a wide gap in price-perf.  I can take another look at some prices later, but the closer to 400 you get, it looks like nicer models are in that range, and if you just need basics on the cheap, you shouldn't be spending more than 100-200 dollars.
"Gee. He was just here a minute ago." -GC

Lyris_Nymphetamine

The only advise I can give you is this:
always make sure its got a 6 cell battery (or else you'll only get 3 hours out of it)

You should be able to, from most places, get a demonstration. Office supply stores and multimedia stores which sell computers generally show off a working model of the netbooks.
You shouldn't be spending more than a few hundred for one anyway.

Suu

yeah, I wasn't looking for anything that can cook me breakfast, just let me surf the net, take some notes in class, play music/movie from a flash drive, and show a Powerpoint.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Luna

I'll let you play with my netbook one of these days soon, see if it's what you're looking for.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Vaud

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on April 05, 2011, 04:03:41 PM
Also, I <3 New Egg.
So do I!  :mrgreen:

Although I am pretty disappointed to see that they're selling the Aspire Ones for more than I paid for mine almost three years ago.  WTF!
"Gee. He was just here a minute ago." -GC

Suu

Quote from: Luna on April 05, 2011, 04:06:10 PM
I'll let you play with my netbook one of these days soon, see if it's what you're looking for.

If you let me put Open Office on it, can I borrow it for Anime Boston? I want to do Powerpoints this year instead of handouts. Those kids don't deserve printed paper.

Luna

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on April 05, 2011, 04:13:08 PM
Quote from: Luna on April 05, 2011, 04:06:10 PM

If you let me put Open Office on it, can I borrow it for Anime Boston? I want to do Powerpoints this year instead of handouts. Those kids don't deserve printed paper.

If it'll run Open Office, sure thing, that's what it's for, to bang around places where I don't want to drag my real laptop (which is, goddamnit, not booting since the landlord spent all day yesterday fucking with the power.)

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Richter

Yours is Windows 7, right Luna?  It should Open Office FINE.  (My windows 7 Laptop and netbook (Linux) both do)  The only issues come in going from MS office to Open Office.

Look around, but I'm not certain how available linux ones are currently. 

A netbook WILL do what Suu asks of them.  RAM and OS upgrades are the most frequent things to do to them to get the more capable-er.  (less an issue with linux.)
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

I don't have Powerpoint, so it would go from Open Office Presentation to the same program.

Luna

We can check it out this week, see if it'll do what you need it to do.  You WILL want to find out if I've got the right video output, and maybe pick up a cable, we didn't have the correct cable to throw it up on the screen at Richter's last weekend.

Jasper

I've had an acer aspireone since late 2008, and it's never had any problems doing all of the things you mentioned.

Under Ubuntu, it has utterly failed to do Skype videoconferencing, even though the camera works in other programs, despite hours of reading help threads and tinkering in the commandline.  Forget Skype under ubuntu.  If Skype isn't important to you though, it's a great little laptop.

Richter

Most have VGA out, but newer HDMI, etc., may not be there.  Also check what resolutions it can support.  (My 1st gen. Asus EEE was limited in this regard, but I'm guessing it's not an issue in newer ones.)  
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

Quote from: Richter on April 05, 2011, 05:27:32 PM
Most have VGA out, but newer HDMI, etc., may not be there.  Also check what resolutions it can support.  (My 1st gen. Asus EEE was limited in this regard, but I'm guessing it's not an issue in newer ones.)  

Oh yeah.  Me too.  My acer has failed to run a vga to HD bigscreens.  Gets a "NO SYNC SIGNAL" message onscreen.  Probably not enough power to spit out that many pixels.