News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

RWHN: Explain Your Fucked Up State!

Started by Iason Ouabache, April 07, 2011, 07:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/06/us-maine-switchblades-idUSTRE7356EP20110406

QuoteMaine lawmakers on Wednesday approved legalizing switchblades for people with one arm, moving close to becoming the first state to make such an exception to laws that ban use of the spring-action knives.

Backers of the measure say legalizing switchblades would eliminate a need for one-armed people to be forced to open folding knives with their teeth in emergencies.

The bill to allow amputees and other one-armed people to carry the quick-opening knives cleared Maine's Senate on Wednesday after passing the House on Tuesday, Senate officials said.

Until now, Maine banned the use of switchblades by anyone.

In most states, carrying switchblades is illegal in most circumstances, though owning the knives may be allowed in some states.

Federal law allows their use by a person with one arm only on federal property if the blade is shorter than three inches.

The Maine bill requires that the knives have a blade that is three inches or shorter.

Governor Paul LePage is expected to sign the measure into law in the next couple of days, said spokeswoman Adrienne Bennett.

Is there an epidemic of one-armed people who need knives in Maine? Have people been cutting their own arms off to use as lobstah bait? Are these people in emergency situations so often that the government of Maine had to drop everything at once and change the law? WTF, RWHN? WTF?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Don Coyote

Now, while I disapprove of the bans against switchblades and other spring assist knives....that reasoning is stupid. There are plenty of non-assisted knives that can be open with one hand.

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

i have a knife that is very easily opened with one hand, but closing it is another issue :\

Iason Ouabache

Also, do we need to start a charity to send switchblades to one-armed people and hobos?
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on April 07, 2011, 07:16:10 AM
i have a knife that is very easily opened with one hand, but closing it is another issue :\

I scare people at work with my non-assisted knife. Almost everyone in my unit that carries a knife has some kind of large spring assist. Closing with one hand take practice. And bandaids.

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on April 07, 2011, 07:16:17 AM
Also, do we need to start a charity to send switchblades to one-armed people and hobos?

YES!!!!!!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Quote from: Donald Coyote on April 07, 2011, 07:18:14 AM

I scare people at work with my non-assisted knife. Almost everyone in my unit that carries a knife has some kind of large spring assist. Closing with one hand take practice. And bandaids.

mine locks in place and i have to hold down this one thing and move this other thing sideways while i close it

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on April 07, 2011, 07:22:57 AM
Quote from: Donald Coyote on April 07, 2011, 07:18:14 AM

mine locks in place and i have to hold down this one thing and move this other thing sideways while i close it

Is it a springy piece of metal in the front of the handle or a bar on the back of the handle?

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

HA i did it one handed!

no its a lever on one side and a big piece of metal under the blade to lock it in place that needs shoved sideways

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have the most beautiful knife that's a Ken Onion/Benchmade collab, that snaps open with a flick like a lovely monster.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on April 07, 2011, 07:26:33 AM
HA i did it one handed!

no its a lever on one side and a big piece of metal under the blade to lock it in place that needs shoved sideways
:lulz:

YAY

Quote from: Nigel on April 07, 2011, 07:29:10 AM
I have the most beautiful knife that's a Ken Onion/Benchmade collab, that snaps open with a flick like a lovely monster.

Benchmade is my favorite kinfe company. My longest lasting everyday knife is a Benchmade mini-griptillian , and my current is a Benchmade min-griptillian . Worth every penny.

AFK

Dear Iason,

Maine has gone mental.  I don't know when it happened, but someone must of switched on some crazy Mad Scientist brain ray that fucked everyone up.  People have seemingly gone bonkers.  And then they elected LePage.  A guy who's biggest accomplishment was running a chain of stores that sold junk.  No really, salvage, chapter 11, and expired breakfast cereals.  They're basically glorified, high-priced yard sales.  Oh, yeah, and he was the Mayor of Waterville, another check in the "con" column. 

The guy was swept in under the same guise that all of these other GOP nutjobs were voted in.  To fix the economy and bring jobs to the state.  So, what has he done?  What has he and his GOPers spent their time on?  Lifting the ban on BPA, rolling back safety standards, rolling back seat belt laws, fighting with Pennsylvania over who gets to have the goddamn whoopie pie as the official state treat, and now legalizing switchblade for one-armed people. 

Oh, and then there is the big controversy right now concerning a mural that was in the Maine Dept. of Labor.  It depicted the history of the labor movement in Maine over the past decades.  LePage would ultimately like to do a Scott Walker in Maine, but knows he could never get that passed.  So, instead, he does this passive aggressive bullshit and pulls the mural in the dark of night.  No, seriously, he put out a proposal to pull the mural.  And while it was still being debated, he actually had it yanked overnight and put into some undisclosed location in Augusta. 

None of this shit has created any jobs, and instead, is probably scaring away tourists.  It's gotten so bad, that 8 GOP State Senators took out an op-ed over the weekend and took him to the woodshed. 

Anyway, if anyone is smart, they'll stay the fuck away from this State for the next two years.  Hopefully, the 2012 elections bring back a little sanity. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Donald Coyote on April 07, 2011, 07:33:06 AM
Quote from: The Fred ⊂(◉‿◉)つ on April 07, 2011, 07:26:33 AM
HA i did it one handed!

:lulz:

YAY

Quote from: Nigel on April 07, 2011, 07:29:10 AM

Benchmade is my favorite kinfe company. My longest lasting everyday knife is a Benchmade mini-griptillian , and my current is a Benchmade min-griptillian . Worth every penny.

Definitely.  I bought the 910 Stryker on my 17th birthday.  I've carried it just about daily since then, and it's still in phenomenal shape.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Suu

This is quite possibly the most amazing law ever passed.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

Maine: The way life should be.  Or I'll slice your face.