News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Atlas Shrugged. April 15. Is your body ready?

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, April 12, 2011, 12:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

No really, there's no relationship at all between manslaughter and attempted murder.  In one you're trying to kill somebody, in another your trying to do something else illegal and an accident happens.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Phox

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 15, 2011, 05:16:04 AM
No really, there's no relationship at all between manslaughter and attempted murder.  In one you're trying to kill somebody, in another your trying to do something else illegal and an accident happens.
:facepalm:

Requia ☣

Oh right, we're just going to post pictures instead of actually explaining jack shit.

:sotw:

Phox

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 15, 2011, 04:51:55 AM
Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on April 15, 2011, 04:50:27 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 15, 2011, 04:06:43 AM
Quote from: Lord Glittersnatch on April 15, 2011, 02:13:31 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 14, 2011, 08:58:05 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 14, 2011, 08:55:34 PM
I always like this part.

WHAT ARE THE TWO QUESTIONS?
   \
:nigel:

Question #1:  Joe's brakes are bad.  He knows this.  One day, while driving, his bad brakes cause an accident that kills a family of 5.  Is he guilty of at least manslaughter?

Question #2?

YOU HAVE TO ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION.

NOW ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION.

Yes he is? But I don't know for sure what the official Objectivist answer is.

Well, according to objectivists, then anyone who has bad brakes should be arrested for attempted murder.

GAME ORVER.  SIMPLISTIC WORLDVIEW LOSES.

Requia ☣

I saw that, but its a blanket statement, there's nothing there to justify why its true.  If objectivists think anything that might lead to manslaughter should be attempted murder* say so.

*Which would be utter nonsense, as you'd essentially be claiming that any crime of any kind should be considered attempted murder.

Phox

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 15, 2011, 05:27:03 AM
I saw that, but its a blanket statement, there's nothing there to justify why its true.  If objectivists think anything that might lead to manslaughter should be attempted murder* say so.

*Which would be utter nonsense, as you'd essentially be claiming that any crime of any kind should be considered attempted murder.
Really? You need your hand held through this?

So, you are aware that your brakes are faulty. You know that if someone is killed as a result of your faulty brakes its manslaughter. You proceed to drive anyway.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Doktor Phox on April 15, 2011, 05:33:04 AM

So, you are aware that your brakes are faulty. You know that if someone is killed as a result of your faulty brakes its manslaughter. You proceed to drive anyway.

Yes and?

Eater of Clowns

Requia, do you find your pedantry inhibits you from casual conversations?

"Hello, good morning!"

"Good is a subjective term, and experts have found in recent studies that qualifications for something being good differ highly between cultures and socioeconomic statuses!  Oh, and did you ever find it weird that anything before noon is morning, yet anything afternoon could be afternoon, evening, or night, all distinctly separate?"

"Well...uh.  Mighty fine weather we're having!"

"I'm confused about your use of mighty.  This is a clear, sunny day.  There's nothing mighty about a calm sky and seasonal warmth.  What makes it fine, also, I mean, if every day was like this then eventually none would be, as all the plants would lack essential rain water to live!  I'm not sure what you mean by 'we're having' after all, how are we having this day.  The day is just happening and we are living through it, how does that make us having it any more than one has music by giving it a listen?"

"I don't, okay, so how is your family doing?"

"Family is being constantly redefined in modern social sciences to reflect the changing landscape of our daily lives!  Whereas fifty years ago a family was a husband, a wife, and two point five children (a myth that is being debunked through rigorous sociological testing) it currently can include a number of gender identities as well as non traditional members."
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Requia ☣

Phox

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 15, 2011, 05:34:19 AM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on April 15, 2011, 05:33:04 AM

Yes and?
Nope, that's as far as you get your hand held. Figure it out, or leave it be.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 15, 2011, 05:40:50 AM

"Hello, good morning!"

"Good is a subjective term, and experts have found in recent studies that qualifications for something being good differ highly between cultures and socioeconomic statuses!  Oh, and did you ever find it weird that anything before noon is morning, yet anything afternoon could be afternoon, evening, or night, all distinctly separate?"

"I'm confused about your use of mighty.  This is a clear, sunny day.  There's nothing mighty about a calm sky and seasonal warmth.  What makes it fine, also, I mean, if every day was like this then eventually none would be, as all the plants would lack essential rain water to live!  I'm not sure what you mean by 'we're having' after all, how are we having this day.  The day is just happening and we are living through it, how does that make us having it any more than one has music by giving it a listen?"

"Family is being constantly redefined in modern social sciences to reflect the changing landscape of our daily lives!  Whereas fifty years ago a family was a husband, a wife, and two point five children (a myth that is being debunked through rigorous sociological testing) it currently can include a number of gender identities as well as non traditional members."

:lulz:

Requia ☣

I still see no relationship whatsoever.  The statement that an objectivist believes that such an act is attempted murder is equivalent to saying that an objectivist believes 100% of crimes are either attempted murder or murder.  This is insane, even by objectivist standards.

Phox

Quote from: Don Quixote on April 15, 2011, 05:47:08 AM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on April 15, 2011, 05:40:50 AM

"Hello, good morning!"

:lulz:
This.  :lulz:

Slyph

If an Objectivist accepts that a person who knows his brakes are bad and winds up ploughing into a bunch of people after refusing to fix them is responsible for the deaths of the dudes the his car hits, then:

A person who doesn't know fuck all about brakes, doesn't realise his brakes are bad, and winds up having his car plough into a bunch of people is as culpable as a person who is wilfully negligent. If anything he is more culpable, because the scale of his "evasion" is greater, making him more "evil".

Placid Dingo

Less explainationing, more complaining about Ayn Rand.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.