News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Anon's social engineering war against Sony

Started by Da6s, April 12, 2011, 07:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

As nasty as all this is, does anyone remember when Sony released CDs that installed rootkits onto the computers of anyone who used said CDs? I'm having a tough time feeling bad for them.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: SHIBBOLEET THE ANNIHILATOR on April 27, 2011, 07:21:50 PM
As nasty as all this is, does anyone remember when Sony released CDs that installed rootkits onto the computers of anyone who used said CDs? I'm having a tough time feeling bad for them.

Oh I don't feel bad for them, I just think there will be people under a bus that really don't deserve it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Yeah, like me... freakin stupid Sony.

Esp since this flies in the face of their claimed security model. They 'claimed' that the cardholder data was stored on a separate server from the PII data (name, address etc) and it was only decryptable via calls from the device it was created from. That somehow they weren't hashing the password is just completely irresponsible.

I am extremely pissed at Sony. The hacker sucks donkey balls for stealing people's data... but good data security would have made this a much smaller mess. Don't even get me started on the huge delay between 'We've been attacked, but your data is safe' to 'Whoops, they got all your data'
:argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!: :argh!:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

This is awesome.  Anon is everyone's hero until they get in the way of playing video games.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 27, 2011, 09:07:11 PM
This is awesome.  Anon is everyone's hero until they get in the way of playing video games.

:lulz:

I doubt this was Anon. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some one/ones who were social engineering for Anon stumbled across the big pile of money with no one watching the door and took matters into their own hands.

Besides, I'm far more pissed at Sony for their shoddy security practices. Hell, its impossible to 'steal' the passwords on a site like PD.com because the system only stores a hash of the password. Either Sony wasn't hashing the passwords, or they were using some stupid and broken hash like Microsoft's old LanMan crap. 

Cain

Quote from: Khara on April 12, 2011, 08:58:28 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 12, 2011, 08:46:18 PM
Someone with a name, yes.  Anonymous (the group) will continue, and probably escalate until Sony gives up completely destroys enough people financially with legal fees alone.

You don't understand.  Having a named troll go martyr just makes the silent majority of 4chan get more..."patriotic"? 

The point is that Anonymous will never run out of trolls idiots willing to go under a bus for something really not worth it.

Fixxed that for you.  :wink:

In all serious though, if these people continue to push this bullshit they are going to end up fucking shit up for everyone.  Anon cannot effect change, they don't have the financial wherewithal to do so, Sony, they can effect change.

Money talks.

That money becomes a greater problem when it comes to crossing borders.

Know how many of Anonymous are in Brazil?  In Russia?  More than a few of their most hardcore hackers come from regions of the world where internet laws are a lot more flexible, and where Sony's lawyers will be throwing money down a black hole.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on April 27, 2011, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: Khara on April 12, 2011, 08:58:28 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 12, 2011, 08:46:18 PM
Someone with a name, yes.  Anonymous (the group) will continue, and probably escalate until Sony gives up completely destroys enough people financially with legal fees alone.

You don't understand.  Having a named troll go martyr just makes the silent majority of 4chan get more..."patriotic"? 

The point is that Anonymous will never run out of trolls idiots willing to go under a bus for something really not worth it.

Fixxed that for you.  :wink:

In all serious though, if these people continue to push this bullshit they are going to end up fucking shit up for everyone.  Anon cannot effect change, they don't have the financial wherewithal to do so, Sony, they can effect change.

Money talks.

That money becomes a greater problem when it comes to crossing borders.

Know how many of Anonymous are in Brazil?  In Russia?  More than a few of their most hardcore hackers come from regions of the world where internet laws are a lot more flexible, and where Sony's lawyers will be throwing money down a black hole.

this is the correct international motorcycle. Some of my favorite FBI stories are from the guys that have had to deal with the Russian and French law enforcement :D

Jenne

Sony's only hope really, in that instance, would be some sort of extradition bullshit.  But there are many countries that have no such agreement so...yeah...that could be an issue, right there.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Jenne on April 27, 2011, 09:29:26 PM
Sony's only hope really, in that instance, would be some sort of extradition bullshit.  But there are many countries that have no such agreement so...yeah...that could be an issue, right there.

Sony's only hope is that they will fire their PR team for this complete botch of a response.
  :argh!:

The Good Reverend Roger

I support whomever did this on account of I like the idea of jackasses kicking folks like Sony in the fork.  Not for any sense of justice, and not because I have anything against Sony, but because I like the idea that there's a pilot fish for every shark.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on April 27, 2011, 09:30:49 PM
Quote from: Jenne on April 27, 2011, 09:29:26 PM

Sony's only hope is that they will fire their PR team for this complete botch of a response.
  :argh!:

Sony, because Caucasians are TOO DAMNED TALL!

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Someone on NPR today argued that its a culture thing in Japan... like no one wants to say "Oh by the way... you may all be fucked!" They pointed to the issues with Toyota and even the government response to the recent disasters as examples.

I dunno if thats true, but it was an interesting perspective.

Jenne

...it's a shitty excuse for non transparency...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Jenne on April 27, 2011, 09:50:12 PM
...it's a shitty excuse for non transparency...

Yeah, from our perspective. But its exactly where most American companies were a decade ago... Gods, Microsoft was among the worst on announcing major vulnerabilities. Maybe its a ummm wall in the Japanese BiP?

I wonder if their BiP is Feng shui compliant?

Jenne