News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

This thread is now an A Dance With Dragons Spoiler thread.

Started by Disco Pickle, April 17, 2011, 07:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Luna on April 18, 2011, 02:38:20 PM
Quote from: Jenne on April 18, 2011, 02:29:32 PM
Yes, I'm THAT kind of mother: "Here kid, this will entertain you--have NO idea what you're reading, but eh, it'll keep you occupied..."
Heh.  My brother used to call me to ask if he should let his daughter read stuff.  HE wouldn't read it, but he knew I would.  (This is why I've read the whole damned Twilight series.  Answer:  It'll rot her brain, but there's not much you'll have to answer questions about.)

Hm, if I had kids, I'd rather have them read Twilight than have them read nothing at all, though. Sure it might be supernatural angsty emo crap, but reading shit does wonders for one's literacy, right? Even if it's bad fantasy stories.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 19, 2011, 08:50:31 PM
Yes, I'm THAT kind of mother: "Here kid, this will entertain you--have NO idea what you're reading, but eh, it'll keep you occupied..."
Heh.  My brother used to call me to ask if he should let his daughter read stuff.  HE wouldn't read it, but he knew I would.  (This is why I've read the whole damned Twilight series.  Answer:  It'll rot her brain, but there's not much you'll have to answer questions about.)

Hm, if I had kids, I'd rather have them read Twilight than have them read nothing at all, though. Sure it might be supernatural angsty emo crap, but reading shit does wonders for one's literacy, right? Even if it's bad fantasy stories.

I don't censor my kids reading at all... I figure, there's not much trouble they can get into with literature. I read Stranger in a Strange Land when I was six and it didn't damage me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Yep.  Of course, I gave her a set of the Narnia books when she was still in the cradle...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Luna on April 19, 2011, 09:17:48 PM

Yep.  Of course, I gave her a set of the Narnia books when she was still in the cradle...

Same here.  If they can comprehend the words, even if they need a dictionary for assistance, I say let them read it. 

Except maybe Anita Blake.  She's worse than Stephanie Meyer, and I wasn't sure that was possible.

I'm going to have to start tracking down all of my favorite books in Spanish for the little border hopper. 
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on April 19, 2011, 09:23:49 PM

Same here.  If they can comprehend the words, even if they need a dictionary for assistance, I say let them read it. 

Except maybe Anita Blake.  She's worse than Stephanie Meyer, and I wasn't sure that was possible.

I'm going to have to start tracking down all of my favorite books in Spanish for the little border hopper. 

Anita Blake is a character not an author.....

And for escape fiction there is a lot worse out there.  I would read Laurell Hamilton long before I read Meyer.  At least she's upfront with her bullshit.  Besides they are all set in St. Louis which is a kick for me to know exactly where she is talking about.

Be that as it may, I have always said I didn't give a shit if my kds were reading playboy as long as they were reading.

My oldest got caught up in the Cirque du Freak series, now he's a big King fan.  It's fun for me, him reading King's old stuff and enjoying it.  My middle child reads anything and everything sports related.  My daughter has moved on from the little girl books, "Little House" and such to a Sherrilyn Kenyon book from her Chronicles of Nick.  Seems to be a teenage version or break in to her Dark Hunter/Were Hunter/Dream Hunter stuff...

I don't care as long as they are reading.

Luna

If they want to read, let them read.  Always.

Though the book of Dad's I got ahold of when I was a kid...  I didn't need a vivid depiction of a guy getting his junk bitten off by a chick with steel dentures.  That's stuck with me.

(No, I don't remember the title, or the author, just that Mom saw what I was reading and freaked out at Dad, and made him rearrange all the books so I could find the "approved" ones.)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Khara on April 19, 2011, 09:54:34 PM

Anita Blake is a character not an author.....

And for escape fiction there is a lot worse out there.  I would read Laurell Hamilton long before I read Meyer.  At least she's upfront with her bullshit.  Besides they are all set in St. Louis which is a kick for me to know exactly where she is talking about.

Be that as it may, I have always said I didn't give a shit if my kds were reading playboy as long as they were reading.

My oldest got caught up in the Cirque du Freak series, now he's a big King fan.  It's fun for me, him reading King's old stuff and enjoying it.  My middle child reads anything and everything sports related.  My daughter has moved on from the little girl books, "Little House" and such to a Sherrilyn Kenyon book from her Chronicles of Nick.  Seems to be a teenage version or break in to her Dark Hunter/Were Hunter/Dream Hunter stuff...

I don't care as long as they are reading.

that's her.  she writes herself in as the main character so much it's easy to forget who's who.  If you like her, cool.  I'm just not a fan.  Too much yiffing.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

CorbeauEtRenard

Quote from: Pickled Starfish on April 19, 2011, 10:00:08 PM
that's her.  she writes herself in as the main character so much it's easy to forget who's who.  If you like her, cool.  I'm just not a fan.  Too much yiffing.

There's actually a shockingly small amount of yiffing for books where every third person in the setting has a hybrid were-form. There's so much sex that calling it excessive is an understatement, but I can only remember two, maybe three instances of yiffing, at least in the ones I read before I found the Dresden Files and never looked back.

But I suppose for most people any yiffing is too much.
Art is Dead! (If You Want It)

Jenne

Quote from: Nigel on April 19, 2011, 09:03:13 PM

I don't censor my kids reading at all... I figure, there's not much trouble they can get into with literature. I read Stranger in a Strange Land when I was six and it didn't damage me.

I'm right there with ya, Nigel.  I read basically whatever the fuck I wanted at 13 and older...and younger than that, it was just anything in the house as fair game.  So, my kids basically have no censorship on their reading.  Internet, yes, movies, yes...and even that's going by the wayside as the youngest heads into jr. high.

Damn.  My kids are old now, too.  :lulz:  My oldest goes to 9th grade this fall.  I'm too young to be this old! :x

Cain

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on April 18, 2011, 02:23:48 PM
I see Sean Bean and think Boromir. Fuck it.

I also don't have a TV, and I'm missing the Borgias, which, IMO, is far superior, because real life is better than fantasy. Plus, you just can't write fiction like the shit that happens in history, it's too weird.

A Song of Ice and Fire is basically The War of the Roses with dragons anyway.  Jaime and Cersei Lannister are ersatz Borgias and...well, if you know the history of the Medici involvement in loans for the war, the involvement of the Iron Bank of Braavos, with Braavos being in the in-world equivalent of Italy, takes on a potentially interesting future dimension.

Cain

Most amusing was a review for Slate, which seemed to assume all the sex was put into the show to appeal to a female demographic.  Yeah, because there was totally no rape and incest and general sleeping around in the series before HBO got their hands on it, hell no.

LMNO

So, incest, rape, and gangbangs are considered appealing to the general female demographic?

I had no idea.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 25, 2011, 03:40:31 PM
So, incest, rape, and gangbangs are considered appealing to the general female demographic?

I had no idea.

I'm missing something somewhere.....  I didn't say that.

LMNO

Quote from: Khara on April 25, 2011, 03:48:30 PM

I had no idea.

I'm missing something somewhere.....  I didn't say that.

Quote from: - on April 25, 2011, 03:36:08 PM
Most amusing was a review for Slate, which seemed to assume all the sex was put into the show to appeal to a female demographic.  Yeah, because there was totally no rape and incest and general sleeping around in the series before HBO got their hands on it, hell no.

Cain

I had no idea.

It was a very incoherent article.  Even by Slate's notoriously low standards in the field of "writing shit you haven't researched".