News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

This thread is now an A Dance With Dragons Spoiler thread.

Started by Disco Pickle, April 17, 2011, 07:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

My thinking as well.  Varys and Illyrio Mopatis, the man who arranged Dany's marriage to Khal Drogo.

The Seven Kingdoms cannot stand against the Dothraki if the Lion and the Wolf are at each other's throats...it would allow Dany to stage a landing not unlike her ancestor, Aegon the Conqueror, and unite a fractured Kingdom.

Also Varys' agent in the Dothraki camp is Jorah Mormont...who seems rather keen on keeping Dany alive, no?

Disco Pickle

After just rereading the series (well, half way through book 3 atm) I'm pretty sure it's Varys and Illyrio.  Arya thinks she recognizes one of them and we know Varys has disguises, but she's sure she's never seen the other one.  The way she describes how he walks and what he's wearing leads me to believe he's from the free cities, and he's said he wants to see the Targaryens back in power.

ETA: and then there's the guards he sent her in book 3.  I wont spoil who the guard is for anyone who hasn't read it, but it makes a lot of sense that he would have gone to Illyrio, then been sent on to guard Daenerys until she can make war.

AETA: I couldn't help myself.  I'm between projects and idle at work atm so I did some digging for a comparison of the descriptions.

Quote"'If one Hand can die, why not a second?' replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard....He was no one Arya had ever seen before, she was certain of it. Grossly fat, yet he seemed to walk lightly, carrying his weight on the balls of his feet as a water dancer might. His rings glimmered in the torchlight, red-gold and pale silver, crusted with rubies, sapphires, slitted yellow tiger eyes. Every finger wore a ring; some had two."

Now when Dany first meets Illyrio (pg 33):

"'Regal,' Magister Illyrio said, stepping through an archway. He moved with surprising delicacy for such a massive man. Beneath loose garments of flame-colored silk, rolls of fat jiggled as he walked. Gemstones glittered on every finger, and his man had oiled his forked yellow beard until it shone like real gold."

pretty much locks that in.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Laughin Jude

Yeah, it's definitely Varys and Illyrio in that scene.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Suu

Knocking back a few eps tonight while embellishing Viking garb. Heeheee.....*hooked*

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Two more eps to go and I'm caught up.  :fap:

Laughin Jude

Tonight's episode should be epic. Can't wait to see reactions from people who haven't read the books. Mwahahahaha...

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Cain

The screeching on the entertainment pages will be EPIC!

Suu

Quote from: Laughin Jude on June 12, 2011, 07:05:54 PM
Tonight's episode should be epic. Can't wait to see reactions from people who haven't read the books. Mwahahahaha...

:fap: :fap: :fap:???

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just got the first book BACK and haven't had time to finish reading it. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Quote from: Your Evil Stepmother on June 12, 2011, 07:23:03 PM
Quote from: Laughin Jude on June 12, 2011, 07:05:54 PM

:fap: :fap: :fap:???

Oh, wait for it.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Well, I gotta watch last week's episode like...now, and I have to wait until tomorrow for tonight's so I can DL it.

Suu

OK, damnit. I'm all caught up. BRING ON EPISODE 9!

Laughin Jude

I haven't watched episode nine yet (it's still downloading), but oh my, the reactions are coming in across the web. From the Penny Arcade boards:

I have been waiting for this since the first episode aired. You poor newbies have no idea what kind of series this is. :lulz:

Suu

I can't find the episode, where are you DLing it from? Pirate Bay is loaded with fakes and RAR files. Fuck that noise. I've gotten all the others straight up, I want this one too.