News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

YOU MAY NOW CALL ME MASTER.

Started by Kai, April 21, 2011, 08:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Vartox on April 21, 2011, 09:30:56 PM
Great job!
Out of curiosity.what, specifically, was your thesis on? I remember you work with caddisflies, but not at all what you to with them.

Larval taxonomy of a particular genus in North America.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Subtract Eight!

THE DIGNITY OF PROBE A TORY COMMENCEMENT SPEECH COMPELLLS YUO

COngrat's WE are all art for you sweet success!
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   I\'ve subracted eight from tons of things.<br /><br />CANNA NUCCA GET A NAME CHANGE HURRR

Elder Iptuous

Kurt Christ

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on April 21, 2011, 09:32:12 PM
Great job!
Out of curiosity.what, specifically, was your thesis on? I remember you work with caddisflies, but not at all what you to with them.

Larval taxonomy? Larva would belong to the same taxonomical groups as their imago stages, right? Were you looking for identifying characteristics in larva of groups that are more easily distinguished as adults or something?
Just to clarify in the case that my tone isn't clear, I am legitimately curious- I know very little of entomology, but it is interesting.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Kai

Quote from: Vartox on April 22, 2011, 12:42:44 AM
Great job!

Larval taxonomy? Larva would belong to the same taxonomical groups as their imago stages, right? Were you looking for identifying characteristics in larva of groups that are more easily distinguished as adults or something?
Just to clarify in the case that my tone isn't clear, I am legitimately curious- I know very little of entomology, but it is interesting.

Yes. And yes.

Larval taxonomy is pretty important with aquatic insects, as most insects that happen to be aquatic are so in their larval stage, and the larvae tend to be of far more ecological importance than the adults.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Telarus

Said it on FB but it's worth reiterating.

:mittens:!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

wudgar

Sweet! Do you get a leather vest and a whip with your sheepskin?
Shameless whoring; www.zazzle.com/wudgar

Disco Pickle

congrats Kai.  So where do you go from here?  phd?
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Triple Zero

Congrats Kai!!! :D

hmm so when a friend of mind got his Master's in Astronomy, we gave him a He-Man comic and told him to call himself "Master of the Universe" now.

what would you call a Master in Biology?

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kurt Christ

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on April 22, 2011, 03:50:55 AM
Quote from: Vartox on April 22, 2011, 12:42:44 AM
Great job!

Yes. And yes.

Larval taxonomy is pretty important with aquatic insects, as most insects that happen to be aquatic are so in their larval stage, and the larvae tend to be of far more ecological importance than the adults.
Cool!
What are you plans from here?
I'm still kind of trying to solidify what I want to do once I finish my bachelor's degree.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Kai

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 22, 2011, 09:32:36 PM
Congrats Kai!!! :D

hmm so when a friend of mind got his Master's in Astronomy, we gave him a He-Man comic and told him to call himself "Master of the Universe" now.

what would you call a Master in Biology?

Master of Entomology, even.

Lord of the Swarm?

Hoser McRhizzy

It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Lies

- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!