News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

YOU MAY NOW CALL ME MASTER.

Started by Kai, April 21, 2011, 08:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on April 21, 2011, 08:06:45 PM
Since I passed my defense this morning.

Official graduation date is the 14th, and I still have one class to finish, but that's splitting hairs at this point.

Congratulations, Kai.  I knew you'd do it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 24, 2011, 02:41:13 AM

Official graduation date is the 14th, and I still have one class to finish, but that's splitting hairs at this point.

Roger, you know what the greatest prize of this research has been?

Two weeks ago, I was at a workshop for people who study aquatic bugs and use them in testing water quality. After I presented my research, people were excited about it, they were asking all sorts of questions. One person told me he wanted to go home and look at some bugs to try it out! So, theres a great pleasure of knowing that other people see your research and use it, that they get excited about it. This is better than any sort of formal prestige I could ever receive. Hell, it's better than the degree!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on April 24, 2011, 05:59:21 PM

Two weeks ago, I was at a workshop for people who study aquatic bugs and use them in testing water quality. After I presented my research, people were excited about it, they were asking all sorts of questions. One person told me he wanted to go home and look at some bugs to try it out! So, theres a great pleasure of knowing that other people see your research and use it, that they get excited about it. This is better than any sort of formal prestige I could ever receive. Hell, it's better than the degree!

Having both is good, too.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Lies

This. I want that feeling.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Kai

Quote from: Lies on April 25, 2011, 03:59:39 PM

This. I want that feeling.

Tips for doing it.

!. Go into science. Seriously.

2. Choose a field of science that isn't oversaturated.

3. Choose specific projects that aren't being worked on, or that other people have thrown up their hands at.

There are many people who go into research on things that have so many people already addressing the problem that it's very difficult to do something that someone else isn't already doing or working on. Insect systematics is really nice like that, because anytime I discover a particular type of bug is saturated with workers I move on to something else. I always seem to pick the problems that no one else wants. This is the KEY to doing novel research that people will use.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Any tips on fields of science that aren't oversaturated? What's a good way of gathering information in that regard (is this possible without already being balls-deep into a program)?

I've always intended on going back to finish my other degree in psychology. One of the reasons I changed directions was due to the excess of psychology students. Now I want to have one foot in social science and one foot in biological science. Any suggestions?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You didn't ask me but... neuroscience is pretty saturated, but seems to be an expanding field.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rumckle

Awesome Kai, that's totally kick ass!!
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Kai

Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on April 26, 2011, 02:56:43 PM
Any tips on fields of science that aren't oversaturated? What's a good way of gathering information in that regard (is this possible without already being balls-deep into a program)?

I've always intended on going back to finish my other degree in psychology. One of the reasons I changed directions was due to the excess of psychology students. Now I want to have one foot in social science and one foot in biological science. Any suggestions?

You're thinking too broad. Narrow it down. Is there one aspect of human behavior that you would like to become an expert in? And I don't mean vague categories, I mean something specific. The social sciences suffer, as E.O. Wilson noted, because testing hypotheses is generally not rigorous. You don't want to be a general expert in the sense of working on everything. Reading and learning everything, yes, but your personal work should be as narrow as possible, so that your conclusions are precise and exacting. The sort of thing the Social "sciences" absolutely need.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on April 27, 2011, 03:28:43 AM

You're thinking too broad. Narrow it down. Is there one aspect of human behavior that you would like to become an expert in? And I don't mean vague categories, I mean something specific. The social sciences suffer, as E.O. Wilson noted, because testing hypotheses is generally not rigorous. You don't want to be a general expert in the sense of working on everything. Reading and learning everything, yes, but your personal work should be as narrow as possible, so that your conclusions are precise and exacting. The sort of thing the Social "sciences" absolutely need.

Yeah, I know. Maybe it's all the bullshit in the design world, but everything scientific looks extremely appealing right now. It's still very helpful to hear it from you as well, though.

I guess if I were pressed to get more specific, I'd say epigenetics, intercellular communication in humans, or human nonverbal communication are all neck and neck for the top spot. Are those specific enough?

Thanks for your input man, I really appreciate it. Maybe we should take this to private messages to avoid spagging up your celebration thread?

Quote from: Nigel on April 26, 2011, 03:28:13 PM
You didn't ask me but... neuroscience is pretty saturated, but seems to be an expanding field.

Thanks Nigel, I appreciate your input too.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jenne

LOVE LOVE LOVE human nonverb communication!

/irrelevant post but still

Kai

Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on April 27, 2011, 08:43:29 PM

Yeah, I know. Maybe it's all the bullshit in the design world, but everything scientific looks extremely appealing right now. It's still very helpful to hear it from you as well, though.

I guess if I were pressed to get more specific, I'd say epigenetics, intercellular communication in humans, or human nonverbal communication are all neck and neck for the top spot. Are those specific enough?

Thanks for your input man, I really appreciate it. Maybe we should take this to private messages to avoid spagging up your celebration thread?

Nahh, it's fine.

If those are three areas that you are interested in, pick one, do massive amounts of reading primary literature, and then ask a compelling, unanswered question. Then focus solely on that for the next ten years of your life.

Other awesome news: It looks like I will be getting an internship with the arthropod collection at a certain museum. Can't give any more information than that.

Luna

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on April 30, 2011, 03:30:47 AM
Quote from: ☄ · · · N E T · · · ☄ on April 27, 2011, 08:43:29 PM

Nahh, it's fine.

If those are three areas that you are interested in, pick one, do massive amounts of reading primary literature, and then ask a compelling, unanswered question. Then focus solely on that for the next ten years of your life.

Other awesome news: It looks like I will be getting an internship with the arthropod collection at a certain museum. Can't give any more information than that.

That's very cool.  I imagine it's the kind of thing that'd have me fleeing for the doors inside of a month, but, cool for you.  (Bugs I can handle in small doses, but, surrounded by them, day after day...  I'd be seeing the ones pinned to boards twitch out of the corner of my eye inside of a week.)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."