News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

SETI Institute suspends search for aliens

Started by Triple Zero, April 26, 2011, 10:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 26, 2011, 07:07:28 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on April 26, 2011, 07:04:48 PM

Nah, there's no problem either way, but if money is tight... I think I'd pick "Pure research for going to Mars..." "Pure research for finding X interesting Physics thing" etc than "Pure research for listening to see if ET has a decent DJ for the Morning drive time." :)

Going to Mars seems like a useful direction, straight up study of particle physics, deep-space data etc seems like its useful... focusing on aliens that may or may not exist, by using a method that is truly searching for a needle in a haystack the size of the universe... seems lower on the priority list. I don't think its a waste of money, but if money is tight... I'd rather see that dropped than research into alternative fuel ideas, the mission to Mars or colliders.

Maybe I'm short sighted... but with the problems facing us right now, survival and short term successes seem far more important than catching a millions year old signal that might be from intelligent life.

Sure.  We need that 13th aircraft carrier (no shit, we're building another one) to fight Zombie Tojo's fleet, so out the door with SETI.  We didn't need those engineering advances produced in the development of their equipment, anyway.

lol.  Aircraft carriers.

"You know what I want?  I want a skyscraper that I can drive to Kuwait.  And I want to launch planes off it."

Fucking pentagon.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Nah, there's no problem either way, but if money is tight... I think I'd pick "Pure research for going to Mars..." "Pure research for finding X interesting Physics thing" etc than "Pure research for listening to see if ET has a decent DJ for the Morning drive time." :)

Going to Mars seems like a useful direction, straight up study of particle physics, deep-space data etc seems like its useful... focusing on aliens that may or may not exist, by using a method that is truly searching for a needle in a haystack the size of the universe... seems lower on the priority list. I don't think its a waste of money, but if money is tight... I'd rather see that dropped than research into alternative fuel ideas, the mission to Mars or colliders.

Maybe I'm short sighted... but with the problems facing us right now, survival and short term successes seem far more important than catching a millions year old signal that might be from intelligent life.

Sure.  We need that 13th aircraft carrier (no shit, we're building another one) to fight Zombie Tojo's fleet, so out the door with SETI.  We didn't need those engineering advances produced in the development of their equipment, anyway.

No, I don't think we need that either. Like I said, clean energy would be a nice place to drop all that cash (including for the aircraft carrier and the new 'HOLISHIT how many billion did you say' fighter jets)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 26, 2011, 07:10:03 PM

Sure.  We need that 13th aircraft carrier (no shit, we're building another one) to fight Zombie Tojo's fleet, so out the door with SETI.  We didn't need those engineering advances produced in the development of their equipment, anyway.

lol.  Aircraft carriers.

"You know what I want?  I want a skyscraper that I can drive to Kuwait.  And I want to launch planes off it."

Fucking pentagon.

"Fuck those drones, we have to be ready for 60 years ago!  We can't allow an anachronism gap!"
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 26, 2011, 07:14:04 PM

Sure.  We need that 13th aircraft carrier (no shit, we're building another one) to fight Zombie Tojo's fleet, so out the door with SETI.  We didn't need those engineering advances produced in the development of their equipment, anyway.

No, I don't think we need that either. Like I said, clean energy would be a nice place to drop all that cash (including for the aircraft carrier and the new 'HOLISHIT how many billion did you say' fighter jets)

We HAVE clean energy technology.

Nobody wants it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Elder Iptuous

I'd just like to point out that it's only $5 MILLION dollars!!!

this is fucking peanuts!
lookie here...  NASA awards 269.3 Million to stimulate commercial development of craft:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/04/four-companies-win-nasas-ccdev-2-awards/

soooo.  why not award 264.3 Million for this endeavor, and still keep SETI?!

also, one good reason to keep SETI: it inspires kids when they hear about it to learn more.  that is a good ROI in my opinion.

Jasper

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 26, 2011, 07:48:41 PM
I'm betting that SETI gets bought up.

Heh.  There's no commercial interest.

Jasper

Maybe not, but as supervillain lairs go...

Phox

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on April 26, 2011, 04:32:47 PM
QuoteWait, why is this specifically something that "shouldn't be shut down"?

It's one of those things I think is going to prove really useful in the long run. If there are other things out there, it'd be kind of nice to know they exist. In case they turn out to be dangerous, we're prepared, if they're peaceful we can deal. Thought given humanity's track record, I'd probably guess we'd try to kill them at the first opportunity.

Along with that look at the article. They're not just looking for lifeforms. They're also finding inhabitable planets.

Minor correction: The article says that SETI wants to listen to planets, which may be inhabitable, and therefore inhabited, that were discovered by the Kepler telescope.

However, I do support the further funding of SETI for the reasons ITT.

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.