News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

LOLWUT

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 26, 2011, 07:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on April 26, 2011, 04:40:05 PM
He's also really smart, or gives the appearance.  He might not be going down the Discordian path, but he damn well knows about "Kallisti".

Well that would make sense with wanting the golden apple.  The fact that he used the reference casually in his bio doesn't mean he doesn't understand the implications.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

hooplala

So you think every reference to a golden apple implies something?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

I think that the golden apple story so appeals to American culture in particular (Everyone's heard of Troy, even about the apple that started it all, and it has to do with someone getting what they ought to deserve) that even if they don't know the story, they know that a golden apple has some very strong appeal and connection to wealth and success, that they may just use it as a metaphor for Winning The Big One.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Hoopla on April 26, 2011, 06:59:23 PM

Any reference to any myth implies something.  Exactly what is going to vary.

There's definitely Discordian influence on Hollywood and the media culture though, I assume partly because many of them find it a fun way to troll conspiracy theorists.  I wouldn't be surprised if that is part of what Tim Gunn is doing.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Holding a golden apple and wearing a shit-eating grin?

Occam's Razor sort of points toward Gunn having a little giggle, if you ask me.  Or an interesting method of attention-whoring aimed at a rather select audience.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

In a way, yes.  But that doesn't mean the implication is Eris, or Discord.

In the West at least, both "Apple" and "Gold" have resonant connotations, regardless of Troy.  Plus, other than the Golden Delicious apple (which is actually green), there is no actual thing in nature that corresponds to the combination of those words.  When used as a symbol or analogy or turn of phrase, "Golden Apple" must mean something more than the obvious (unless you're talking about an actual sculpture or mold of gold in the shape of an apple... which in itself was most likely created as a symbol).

Luna

And, of course, he could very well be drawing it straight from the myth itself, without being aware of Discordianism at all.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

hooplala

Quote from: Luna on April 26, 2011, 07:31:17 PM
And, of course, he could very well be drawing it straight from the myth itself, without being aware of Discordianism at all.

This seems most likely to me.

I can't see why he would choose it, to be honest.  I've seen several episodes of Project Runway, and he is not even remotely an agent of discord from what I could tell.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

Quote from: Hoopla on April 26, 2011, 07:38:51 PM

I can't see why he would choose it, to be honest.  I've seen several episodes of Project Runway, and he is not even remotely an agent of discord from what I could tell.

Quotethat even if they don't know the story, they know that a golden apple has some very strong appeal and connection to wealth and success, that they may just use it as a metaphor for Winning The Big One.

hooplala

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 07:40:54 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 26, 2011, 07:38:51 PM

Quotethat even if they don't know the story, they know that a golden apple has some very strong appeal and connection to wealth and success, that they may just use it as a metaphor for Winning The Big One.

True, true.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enrico Salazar on April 26, 2011, 04:49:51 PM
Tim Gunn has member like baseball bat.  And he know how to swing it.
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 26, 2011, 07:12:54 PM

Holding a golden apple and wearing a shit-eating grin?

Occam's Razor sort of points toward Gunn having a little giggle, if you ask me.  Or an interesting method of attention-whoring aimed at a rather select audience.

Yes, this.

He clearly knows what the apple references... or he wouldn't have mentioned it, in context, in his bio.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."