News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

"The Benefits of Madness"

Started by Jasper, April 26, 2011, 07:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Heh.  I have sometimes had the thought that "I am not my brain, and my brain is not necessarily my friend."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 09, 2011, 09:13:49 PM
Heh.  I have sometimes had the thought that "I am not my brain, and my brain is not necessarily my friend."

I AM my brain, and I can't stand sharing a skull with myself.

TGRR,
Off to see about a trepaning.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2011, 09:14:49 PM

TGRR,

Mine tried to kill me this morning.

I shouldn't let it talk while I'm trying to drive.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on May 09, 2011, 09:15:54 PM

TGRR,

Sometimes you have to discipline it.  Chew on tinfoil til it shuts up.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2011, 09:16:33 PM

TGRR,

No fillings.  Chewing on tinfoil is just annoying.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on May 09, 2011, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2011, 09:16:33 PM

TGRR,

No fillings.  Chewing on tinfoil is just annoying.

Then stick a couple of pennies under your tongue.  That'll teach the bastard.

Jasper

Heh.  I have sometimes had the thought that "I am not my brain, and my brain is not necessarily my friend."

TGRR,

Are you though?  I mean, psychologically maybe, but artefacts of you exist in other people's heads, and in the artefacts that you leave behind.  On this forum, for example.  

At least, that's how I look at it.  When people tell me they hear my voice in their head, I consider that almost as "me" as when I personally talk, because it's just an independent impression of myself in the world.  Like if there was a virtual sigmatic on some computer, I'd also consider that "me".

I take a pretty broad view of ego and mind, though.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 09, 2011, 09:19:30 PM
Are you though?  I mean, psychologically maybe, but artefacts of you exist in other people's heads, and in the artefacts that you leave behind.  On this forum, for example.  

Quit taking the piss.  You know that's just going to lead to some awful shit involving flinging bits of Hemmingway and Kipling's putrid corpses around.

Jasper

I don't think I'm taking the piss.  I'm just a product of shitty information age postmodernism.  I own that, and I wish it wasn't so.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 09, 2011, 09:25:39 PM
I don't think I'm taking the piss.  I'm just a product of shitty information age postmodernism.  I own that, and I wish it wasn't so.

So fix it.

Jasper

I'm trying to fix it by deciding philosophy's dead and talking about it as little as possible.  Postmodernism just taught me that people will say meaningless shit to sound clever, so do I sometimes, and people should get tazed for doing it.  Now I treat everything that isn't empirical as art or garbage.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 09, 2011, 09:30:16 PM
I'm trying to fix it by deciding philosophy's dead and talking about it as little as possible.  Postmodernism just taught me that people will say meaningless shit to sound clever, so do I sometimes, and people should get tazed for doing it.  Now I treat everything that isn't empirical as art or garbage.

Yeah, down that road rests a tall bike, Buddy Holly glasses, and a fur-trimmed coat with your name on them.

Jasper

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 09, 2011, 09:46:00 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on May 09, 2011, 09:30:16 PM

Yeah, down that road rests a tall bike, Buddy Holly glasses, and a fur-trimmed coat with your name on them.

If that doesn't scare your brain straight, we could go back to the trepanning idea...

Jasper

This is about "scaring me straight"?  I presented the article in the OP as "of interest".  I think you ascribe enthusiasm to me that is not there.