News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Make Hawks heart healthy.

Started by Adios, April 26, 2011, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on April 26, 2011, 11:18:42 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 26, 2011, 09:26:35 PM
Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 09:23:13 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on April 26, 2011, 09:07:06 PM
Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on April 26, 2011, 08:54:23 PM
Chicken Palak. This is a MUST MUST MUST try, because it IS super delicious and you will be surprised.

Ingredients:

Greek yogurt (I use honey flavor, but the original recipe calls for plain yogurt)
20 oz of spinach, frozen or fresh (fresh takes longer to prepare, frozen is quicker but makes a bigger mess)
4 pounds of boneless chicken meat (I prefer using thigh to breast)
3 medium onions
12 cloves of garlic, if you only have the regular kind, or 5 cloves of elephant garlic, minced (squished if possible)
Ground Spices to your liking (I use the following: smoked and sweet paprika, turmeric, coriander, fresh ground black pepper, salt, chili powder, curry powder, roasted ginger powder, roasted ground cinamon, and sumak, and ground cardamom)
Olive oil for frying.
The following WHOLE spices; cinnamon (3 sticks), 12 cloves, garam masala (not really whole, but a must-use spice), 5 pods star anise, 8 all-spice berries

If you're using frozen spinach, defrost and drain first.

Peel onions, cut in half, and slice thinly, so they look like half-moons.  Heat oil in a deep pot, and add in all the spices. Fry until they smell very strongly.  If you're using fresh spinach, start cooking that in 5 ounce batches, adding more when there is more room in the pot.  Then add in the onions, and fry until golden brown. (If you're using frozen spinach, skip adding the spinach right now.)  Add in the chicken and cook until the water from the onions evaporates.  If you're using the frozen spinach, add that now, as well as the garlic.  Cook until the chicken is cooked through but tender.  Remove from heat, and add enough yogurt until the sauce is creamy.

DEVOUR WITH PLEASURE, and salt to taste if necessary.

Good grief, how many people are you cooking for???  Terri and I usually split a meal when we go out.

3-4 people. :lulz:

Yeah, Ian is a bit of a food snob, and will settle for nothing less than Taco Bell.  :vom:

Now while I do enjoy eating that shitty excuse for food, WTF?????

Also, I could probably eat half of that without realizing it.

Coyote, secretly a fat kid who likes cake inside.
I could probably eat half of it with realizing it.  :eek:

Phox,
Not-so-secretly a fat kid who likes cake inside... me.

Adios

I am 10 pounds overweight right now and feel miserable.

Suu

Eat Honey Nut Cheerios twice a day.

No, really, I know it sounds cliche from the commercials, but it actually works. My dad does it and his cholesterol and blood pressure have in fact lowered. It also helped him lose weight because he replaced two meals a day with Cheerios and 1% milk.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dysfunctional Cunt

In the effort to control my salt, I started making and eating a couple of kinds of (for want of a better term) chow chows.  Charley you know what I'm talking about.  I took my Grandma's basic recipe and fired it up a bit.  And cut the sugar down A LOT!!!  Her recipe is the 2 to one rule 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water to a cup of sugar.  I use 1/4 cup of raw sugar or brown sugar and it tastes just fine.

So you get your veggies...  I use carrots (shredded) red bell pepper (chopped) onions (chopped) a cup of each after chopping.  Now the kicker, I add in about half a cup of chopped hot peppers.  Really whatever I can find that looks good.  This last batch has 2 thai chili's and a large poblano.  You will need a tablespoon of peppercorns (I had pink so I used those) a teaspoon of coriander, a teaspoon of coriander, a teaspoon of mustard seed, a bay leaf and a stick of cinnamon.  A pinch of salt.  You can throw in a couple of cloves if you want.  Put all of this in a large jar that has a good tight lid.

Bring the water, vinegar and sugar to a boil until it starts getting that heavy look.  Pour it boiling into the jar to the top.  Let cool and put the lid on.  This will keep in the fridge for months, but if you're like us it won't last that long.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I'm a huge one pot meal person.  Here is a really simple recipe that you can enlarge or make smaller easily.  You will need salsa, onions, the meat of your choice (not fish but shrimp will work but they get tuff) and brown rice.  Cover the bottom of a pot with the salsa of your making.  I make my own about a gallon at a time because the kids eat it on almost everything.  lay down sliced onions to cover the salsa, then arrange your meat on top of the onions.  Cover well with the salsa and bring to a simmer.  Turn down the heat and put on the back of the stove for an hour.  Uncover and add your rice.  Add enough water or veggie stock to give you two fingers of liquid above your rice.  Bring to a boil, cover and turn down the heat.  In about 20 minutes you have a meal.  I serve this with black beans and tortillas.

Jenne

Oatmeal.  This truly does cut your cholesterol, it's cheap, and you can vary the condiments in vastly healthy ways...

Dysfunctional Cunt

Chili Salt.  Now this is awesome if you like it hot.  I mix sour salt (citric acid) and chili powder.  

Fish in achiote paste.  I buy mine because, well I'm lazy and the one the local mexican market sells is awesome.  Achiote paste comes in a block. You just break it up.  I mix with a bit of EVOO and cover the fish with it.  Grill.

You can also use this on veggies.  I slice up potatos, asparagus and onion and toss it in achiote mixed with EVOO and put on the grill in a foil packet with a little water.  Give that about 20-30 minutes depending on how hot your fire is.  Then grill your fish and it all comes out together.  I like slices of avacado with my fish when I do this.  

If you like the achiote, try it on chicken, pork steaks, really any meat on the grill.

Pork in chilis.  I take chunks of lean pork and sear them in a touch ov EVOO.  I don't use much because I want any fat in the pork to be my main fat.  Add in chunks of potato, onion and (yes it's weird but awesome) a lime cut into quarters.  I add a couple of canned chipotle peppers chopped and 4 teaspoons of the sauce from the can.  Barely cover with veggie stock and cook on low or in your crock pot.  I serve this with corn tortillas and a salad.

Steamed chicken in banana leaves.  I buy the frozen banana leaves.  It keeps it simple and they last forever in the freezer.  Line your steam pan with a piece of leaf and slice a few places to let the steam come thru.  I layer my chicken, then a few lime slices, then asparagus, then I put slices of yucca, then a bit more lime.  I sprinkle a couple of smashed garlic cloves and a dried pepper, then cover with the banana leaf and steam.  Now when I serve this I drizzle it with an EVOO and garlic combo I make with the garlic I put in the dish.  I put a couple of teaspoons of EVOO in a hot pan, the garlic is really soft from being steamed and it will just break up in the oil.  Heat until the bits are a touch golden and remove from heat and drizzle over the chicken and veggies.  You can also do this with fish, shrimp, scallops (are OMG YUM but damned expensive).  I've never done with red meat...

Freeky

There was something... oh yes.

MORACCAN MEATBALLS!!!

You will need:
1 lb ground beef, as lean as you can afford. This also works with turkey, chicken, pork, any ground meat (not fish)\
3 TBSP finely minced garlic
2 TBSP fresh chopped cilantro
1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground toasted cumin
1.5 oz breadcrumbs
2 egg whites (the cholesterol is in the yolk)
salt and pepper
olive oil
1 lemon, cut in half

Rice:
2 cups water
1 cup rice
1/4 cup lemon juice
fresh cracked pepper

Sauce:
1/2 english cucumber
1 cup plain yogurt (I actually used the healthy heart Yoplait stuff, spiced pear flavor)
1 TBSP chopped dill
1 lemon

Cook rice in the water, lemon juice, and pepper.  Set aside.

Set a whole lot of oil on to heat in a deep frying pan.  Mix all the meat and spices and breadcrumbs together, then mix in the beaten eggwhites.  Mix thoroughly.  Roll into smallish size balls.  When oil is hot, put the balls in the oil.  fry on one side, then on the other until cooked through.

Peel, cube and de-seed the cucumber.  Mix the yogurt in with salt and dill and cucumber.  Zest lemon and squeeze over the sauce, mixing well after. 

Put some rice in a bowl, the meatballs on top of the rice, and some sauce on the meatballs.

Adios

You guys rock, I will be trying many of these! Suu, I fucking love cheerios and have a box I just bought.

Jenne, I can only eat oatmeal if it has fresh fruit in it, but that works as well.

Miss Demeanor

I'm a little late getting into this thread but here's a simple, fast chicken breast recipe.  Marinate boneless chicken breats in low fat Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes to an hour.  Bake in oven or grill(approx. 20 minutes).  Tasty, tangy, healthy.
JESUS SAVES!   By shopping wisely and using double coupons!