News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

New foods I'm trying

Started by Freeky, April 28, 2011, 02:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on January 11, 2012, 12:33:15 AM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 12:28:46 AM
Tripe is just the stomach lining from a cow. It's not the name of a specific dish.

Bible tripe (the kind you find at good pho places) is edible. Honeycomb tripe (the kind the Puerto Ricans use to make menudo) is absolutely disgusting, and this is coming from a person who gleefuly eats things like fish eyes and goat knuckles.

It's a shame too, since menudo is pretty damn good except for the part where it's full of tripe.

:(  All the store had was honeycomb tripe. 

Also, http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/tripe-madrid-style this is what I'm making.

This recipe is confusing.

First of all, if you're gonna make a soup/stew with chorizo, prosciutto, and pigs' feet, why bother adding tripe?

Second of all, that seems like it would be wicked salty. Maybe not, though, hard to make that judgment without actually trying it.

Third of all, there's a part of the recipe where they tell you to return the tripe to the pan, but no preceeding instructions to remove the tripe from the pan.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 01:26:02 AM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on January 11, 2012, 12:33:15 AM
Tripe is just the stomach lining from a cow. It's not the name of a specific dish.

Bible tripe (the kind you find at good pho places) is edible. Honeycomb tripe (the kind the Puerto Ricans use to make menudo) is absolutely disgusting, and this is coming from a person who gleefuly eats things like fish eyes and goat knuckles.

It's a shame too, since menudo is pretty damn good except for the part where it's full of tripe.

:(  All the store had was honeycomb tripe. 

Also, http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/tripe-madrid-style this is what I'm making.

This recipe is confusing.

First of all, if you're gonna make a soup/stew with chorizo, prosciutto, and pigs' feet, why bother adding tripe?

Second of all, that seems like it would be wicked salty. Maybe not, though, hard to make that judgment without actually trying it.

Third of all, there's a part of the recipe where they tell you to return the tripe to the pan, but no preceeding instructions to remove the tripe from the pan.

Yeah, I just assumed they meant "Put this all in the pan with the tripe" instead of "now put the tripe that you took ut back in the pan."

I do not know why you would bother to add tripe, that's just what it called for.  I personally thought it a bit much, myself.  I couldn't find pig's feet, nor procuitto ham, either, so I'm making due with salt pork and turkey ham, is that okay?

I feel like I should be ducking in case ECH decides to punch me through the internet...

East Coast Hustle

WHAT THE SHITFUCKING COCKWART IS "TURKEY HAM"?

:madbanana:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Also, salt pork will not be a good sub for pigs' feet. the recipe doesn't call for smoked hocks so I assume they mean uncured and unsmoked pigs' feet in which case the salt pork will almost certainly make this overly salty. I'd just use the salt pork and chorizo and lose the "turkey ham" (whatever THAT is) entirely.

Freeky

Don Coyote

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 02:58:54 AM

Well, when a pig and a turkey get really stoned....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I do not like the tripe I have had in Pho (even though I order it every single fucking time and then eat it anyway).

Edible; yes. But I swear to god every few bites, it leaves the faintest back-of-the-throat aura of something horrible. The texture is OK, similar to black fungus, but the taste. Not so much.

I have been wanting to make menudo but I am a little afraid of the stink of cooking tripe in my house. I might go ahead and try it anyway.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 02:58:54 AM

It is a salted and smoked ham-like substitute made from turkey leg and thigh meat, useful in some (but not all) dishes that call for ham, if you happen to have a best friend who is Jewish.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on January 15, 2012, 06:14:50 AM

I do not like the tripe I have had in Pho (even though I order it every single fucking time and then eat it anyway).

Edible; yes. But I swear to god every few bites, it leaves the faintest back-of-the-throat aura of something horrible. The texture is OK, similar to black fungus, but the taste. Not so much.

I have been wanting to make menudo but I am a little afraid of the stink of cooking tripe in my house. I might go ahead and try it anyway.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either. If I've got a hankering for something weird in my pho I usually go with soft tendon.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 15, 2012, 01:39:55 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 15, 2012, 06:14:50 AM

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either. If I've got a hankering for something weird in my pho I usually go with soft tendon.

I love tendon so much! I have some steamed tendon in my fridge for slicing into soup.