News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

What is it with all the 20-something drones?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 05, 2011, 08:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I gotta agree, it's pathetic.

I'm tempted to make my kids move out and get jobs before I'll send 'em to college, just so they understand what the alternative to doing well in school is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Love the OP!!!  We've discussed this before Roger.  You know my thinking on it.  

This generation of 18-25 (with exceptions so the first one to say oh what about whoever, STFU) year olds all seem to feel they are owed something.  

Now you and I, Roger, and Nigel and Charley too (and I am sure others so again.....) we were raised that hard work was the way to get somewhere.  As a result, we learned to work hard and play hard.  We never thought we deserved anything we hadn't earned, except for clean air.

That's been the hardest thing for me with my kids.  They see all of their friends with a new pair of shoes every few weeks, new clothes every time you turn around (as if washing something was a sin) and more electronics than MIT.  The problem is, their parents have no comprehension that they are ruining their kid's lives.  These kids do not realize that someone actually worked to earn the money for all this shit.  They ask and are given.  

My kids, well, I've been probably harder than I had to be, but I've done it for them.  If they want something that is necessary, then they have to work for it.  I pay well for extra chores being done.  I also pay for exceptional grades.  Now this isn't always cold hard cash.  Sometimes it is a bump in their shoe budget, or getting their clothes from Aeropostal (sp) or American Eagle as opposed to WalMart.  But the thing is, they understand the value of a dollar and they rarely ask for something they haven't made the effort to earn.

Their friends don't understand this concept at all.

Prince Glittersnatch III

I have a friend who has roughly 5-10 pairs of shoes.
Theyre fucking expensive shoes too, like $200 pairs.

He wasted an ENTIRE PAYCHECK on $200 dollar shoes.
Then he wasted ANOTHER FUCKING PAYCHECK ON THE EXACT SAME FUCKING SHOES AGAIN AFSLDKJASLFJSDF
only they were in a different color. He also thinks MW2 is a great game.

Its the same thing with everyone I know my age. Im no Buddha myself but I cant believe how much people obsess over stupid materialistic shit like this.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Richter

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 05, 2011, 09:20:37 PM
Quote from: Richter on May 05, 2011, 09:19:22 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 05, 2011, 08:32:27 PM
I was just thinking about the little giggle I had at seeing Von Melee and Mayhem pushing a shopping cart down the road on Tuesday, and it occurred to me that almost every 20-something I know IRL is just treading water, at best.

They never finish a Goddamn thing, they don't work unless they absolutely have to, and then the height of their ambition is a Goddamn call center, and they spend almost all of their waking hours playing mindless video games...Not even GOOD ones, but OCD shit like Wii Bowling (how pathetic is THAT), golf (a simulation of a game that's almost a sport), and puzzle-style games that consist entirely of brightly colored blocks and lots of annoying sounds.

Now, I know the economy is tough out there, I understand that jobs are thin on the ground, but...FUCK, most of these people aren't even trying.  Please note that this is anecdotal, of course, and based entirely on Tucson and Hamilton, Ontario...But still, WTF? 

Go forward half a generation, and you've got people who DO things.  LMNO, for example, works a full time job, has a steady home life, and makes music on the side.  Nigel runs her own business...Times ARE tough, and she's apparently having a hell of a time, but she's hanging on. 

By contrast, my cousin's 22 year old son is "taking a year off of college" - translation:  He flunked out - and is living at his dad's house.  No job, no ambition, nothing but Goddamn video games.

The only reason I give a shit is that these will be the "prime producers" when I'm retired, which means I'll starve to death in the cold along with them.

And there's always a fucking excuse.  With Mayhem, it was "mental illness" (translation:  She is a drone, and is too fucking lazy to shift her fat ass).  With Marcus, it was just out-and-out laziness.  Fucker has the mind of a 4 year old.  Many of the rest cite the economy, to which I respond by pointing at Nigel.  The majority, horrible as it seems, think this is how life is meant to be.

Christallfuckingmighty.  7 billion humans on the planet, and all anyone knows how to do is have more humans and sit on the fucking couch.

Words cannot express how much I hate you all.

Or Kill Me

CHOKE FUCK SHIT COCKS HELL

Yes, I've dman well worked in call centers, and my point there every day is to square cash to keep my stuff together, and move the job into something better.  I now know more about keeping finaces together than I ever wanted to,e specially for education.  Most of my day is troubleshooting cases of "no one else can figure that out", or teaching people how our shit works.  I ahven't had a job where I wasn't a teacher.

I know 2 or three trades by proxy, and consider them all honroable fallback if the office cueb thing craps out.  
I keep my ass moving, during the week, and fuck help me if I get a night to myself.  
I teach kids to swordfight on some weekends.  I TEACH LITTLE DAMN CHIDLREN TO SWORDFIGHT.  If that doesn't jsutify my existance alone, I give up.
I can do more for myself than any boy scout I've met  (still tied with Vargus though), and WILL, to the dismay of those around me when I go fuckign primitive to get by.  
I have little use for most of the others aside from bullet shields when the feces find the fanblades, so I cnanot refute your point as a generalization.
The DOOM has come for me before, and I've stared it's shit down, rather than becoming an unemployment basket case.

Stopping this before death is not part of my plan.  If I haven't proven my fitness to survive already, then I will jump down the throat of whoever says otherwise.

OR KILL ME

Like I said, I can only speak to Tucson and Hamilton.  I lump you in with LMNO.  You're always doing something.

Didn't want to assume, thanks though.
Had to shit the hate
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Eater of Clowns

Speaking as a 20-something and as a mother,

This trend has been going on for about ten years.  Young adults are waiting longer and longer to move out of mom & dad's, etc.  I can say that almost all of my friends and acquaintances are college grads with massive debt and meager salaries that are still managing to live comfortable lives on their own.

A lot of it is disillusionment.  I don't know about previous age groups, but I remember the rhetoric growing up.  Go to college, get a degree.  Don't go for money, go for something you love.  So a bunch of us did, and we got useless degrees and entered into an economy that tanked.  It took me about eight months to leave home, and I consider myself lucky for being able to do so (right priced apartment, job earning about 10k more than projected for my major, etc).

I guess I don't have a specific point other than that it might just be a matter of exposure.  I mean, I could tell you how many inmates I get coming into the facility in their late teens and twenties that have never held a job in their lives and are "disabled."  But being the representation of the population that it is, that trend extends well above that age range.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 05, 2011, 10:09:49 PM

This trend has been going on for about ten years.  Young adults are waiting longer and longer to move out of mom & dad's, etc.  I can say that almost all of my friends and acquaintances are college grads with massive debt and meager salaries that are still managing to live comfortable lives on their own.

A lot of it is disillusionment.  I don't know about previous age groups, but I remember the rhetoric growing up.  Go to college, get a degree.  Don't go for money, go for something you love.  So a bunch of us did, and we got useless degrees and entered into an economy that tanked.  It took me about eight months to leave home, and I consider myself lucky for being able to do so (right priced apartment, job earning about 10k more than projected for my major, etc).

I guess I don't have a specific point other than that it might just be a matter of exposure.  I mean, I could tell you how many inmates I get coming into the facility in their late teens and twenties that have never held a job in their lives and are "disabled."  But being the representation of the population that it is, that trend extends well above that age range.

I always thought you were a dude......

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Khara on May 05, 2011, 10:17:33 PM

Well thanks!  I am a dude.  The "as a mother" thing is a joke.   :)

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 05, 2011, 10:19:17 PM
Quote from: Khara on May 05, 2011, 10:17:33 PM

Well thanks!  I am a dude.  The "as a mother" thing is a joke.   :)

:argh!:

And I've been sitting here thinking damn, I could hang out with a woman like that, she's got balls as big as mine....   :wink:

Jasper

24 year old checking in.  I hate my age group.  I am quitting it as soon as possible.  I already have grey hairs, which came as a relief when I found them.

That is all.

Prince Glittersnatch III

I fear what will happen when the "Hannah Montana" generation gets to be 20 somethings.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Suu

How the hell do people in their 20s get on permanent disability and SSI for the rest of their lives? WTF is the secret?!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on May 05, 2011, 10:27:13 PM
How the hell do people in their 20s get on permanent disability and SSI for the rest of their lives? WTF is the secret?!

In some circles, it's important to teach your kids how to change a tire or check your engine oil.

In others, it's important to teach them how to scam the system.

Then there are the circles of many 20-somethings, where it was just never that big of a family value to teach your kids anything at all.

EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Juana

I went through a drone-y phase. Got bored after about a year and got my shit together. I was in school the entire time, but did next to nothing and scraped Cs (mostly).

But I see it every-fucking-where amongst the students I work with. I have three right now who are the epitome of what you're talking about, Roger, and I want to punt them across the courtyard.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hover Cat on May 05, 2011, 10:36:26 PM
I went through a drone-y phase. Got bored after about a year and got my shit together. I was in school the entire time, but did next to nothing and scraped Cs (mostly).

But I see it every-fucking-where amongst the students I work with. I have three right now who are the epitome of what you're talking about, Roger, and I want to punt them across the courtyard.

I wouldn't.  They make a horrible fucking noise, and then there's loads of paperwork.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

I am horrified at being a drone, and I know I am one.  I really don't want to be.  I am TRYING not to be.

Failure is a bitch.