News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

I am sober! Ask me anything!

Started by Cardinal Pizza Deliverance., May 05, 2011, 02:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on May 06, 2011, 06:17:24 AM
May I ask what the advantage of a color e-reader is? I mean, if you aren't into art books.

Can be used for surfing the web a la a cheapo tablet PC, allows you to read graphic novels or anything with color illustrations, including magazines (you can subscribe to most popular titles), sunday newspaper from your hometown, etc.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 06, 2011, 06:24:10 AM
May I ask what the advantage of a color e-reader is? I mean, if you aren't into art books.

Can be used for surfing the web a la a cheapo tablet PC, allows you to read graphic novels or anything with color illustrations, including magazines (you can subscribe to most popular titles), sunday newspaper from your hometown, etc.

The websurfing seems most likely something I'd use... though most of the sites I care about would be just as good in black and white since for the most part all I give a shit about is text.

Do you have to pay for a web subscription or can you use any old wifi?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Any wi-fi signal (unsecured or that you have the PW to), no subscription. The browser on the B&W version is very basic and really a pain in the ass to use. For $50 extra you can get a G3 version with wi-fi AND free cellular access anywhere in the world there's a signal.

IOW, with the color version's browser, wikipedia/wikitravel, googlemaps, and craigslist, you essentially have the Hitchhiker's Guide To Earth.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

I just remembered being in high school, and really wanting something that did what the HHGTTG was capable of.

And now I have a series of toys that can do stuff like that, and I consider it normal.

Woo, spine tingles.  Future shocked there a little bit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 06, 2011, 07:58:20 AM
I just remembered being in high school, and really wanting something that did what the HHGTTG was capable of.

And now I have a series of toys that can do stuff like that, and I consider it normal.

Woo, spine tingles.  Future shocked there a little bit.

I feel that way every time I whip out my phone.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

At some point in the next decade I may be forced to forget the past so that I can go a single moment without reeling at the bizarre amount of technological power all over.

You know what it's like?  The Dark Ages, but in reverse.  There's so much information flying around, so much computational power, so much knowledge hidden amongst noise, that you can hardly see anything. 

The Blindingly Bright Ages.  That's what we're in.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 06, 2011, 06:24:10 AM

Graphic novels (and comics) sound like a very important advantage.

Cheapo tablet PC is nice, but if it was that alone I'd rather have a netbook, which is basically a tablet PC that's not overpriced and has a keyboard :) Just not completely sold on tablets over netbooks, yet.

Still, that Color Nook sounds damn sweet and I shall have to go and look into it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

I can see it for graphic novels.  You can get magazines and newspaper subscriptions, give it time and some bright monkey at Marvel or DC will start publishing monthly comics for e-readers (if they haven't already; I have not researched). 

Reading .pdf files, like some RPG books I have in that format.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 06, 2011, 08:29:57 AM
At some point in the next decade I may be forced to forget the past so that I can go a single moment without reeling at the bizarre amount of technological power all over.

You know what it's like?  The Dark Ages, but in reverse.  There's so much information flying around, so much computational power, so much knowledge hidden amongst noise, that you can hardly see anything. 

Very well put.

Kai

Sounds like time to get some shades.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4