News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

So, we gamers are superstitious bastards.

Started by Freeky, May 07, 2011, 06:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on May 07, 2011, 06:54:03 AM
"YOU DON'T TOUCH ANOTHER MAN'S DICE!" 

I was fired from the gaming industry, had my "herald" DM tournament credentials yanked, and was banned from Origins conventions (except as a regular convention-goer) because my editor kept touching my dice, back in the 90s.

I was told I overreacted, but the fuck?  HE WAS FUCKING WITH MY DICE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2011, 05:36:21 AM

I was fired from the gaming industry, had my "herald" DM tournament credentials yanked, and was banned from Origins conventions (except as a regular convention-goer) because my editor kept touching my dice, back in the 90s.

Did you crucify him or boil him with lead?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on May 08, 2011, 05:42:53 AM

No, I slapped the dog shit out of him.  It was one of those slaps that sounds like a gun going off, right?  Everything around us stops, and everyone is just staring at my hand print on his face. 

He sat there for a few seconds, then said, "You're fired yesterday."

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2011, 05:44:34 AM

No, I slapped the dog shit out of him.  It was one of those slaps that sounds like a gun going off, right?  Everything around us stops, and everyone is just staring at my hand print on his face. 

You didn't overreact. He did. He should have thanked you for not flaying him with his own fingernails on the spot.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Canis latrans securis on May 08, 2011, 05:48:59 AM

You didn't overreact. He did. He should have thanked you for not flaying him with his own fingernails on the spot.

Like I said, he touched my dice.  I even warned him TWICE.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2011, 05:51:06 AM
Quote from: Canis latrans securis on May 08, 2011, 05:48:59 AM

Like I said, he touched my dice.  I even warned him TWICE.

Wow, just wow.

Wyldkat

LOL  Everyone knows not to touch my dice, especially my husband.  He's one of those who can't roll good when it matters to save his life.  It's hilarious to watch.  They literally do the opposite of whatever he wants them to.  He uses reverse psychology on his dice and it works...

Personally I separate my dice in a sort of random, but very specific way.  I generally have decent rolls on everything except character creation.

Amusing dice teaching events that I am aware of:

One person set his dice up in a circle around the die that had most recently insulted him and took a hammer to it telling them that if they didn't behave they'd get the same treatment.  I think he left the shards in his dice bag as a reminder.

Another person set his new dice up in a circle, put his old misbehaving ones in the center and melted them, literally melted them, as an example.

Yet another person bit an offending die and threw it away.  I rescued it and it's mirror image (before it suffered the same fate) and they both roll beautifully for me, possibly due to gratitude at being rescued.

Luna

One of the guys I gamed with many years ago told a misbehaving d20 that if it rolled one more "1" it would get a guilded tour of his colon.

I never did ask what happened after it DID roll that 1...
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on May 08, 2011, 12:33:30 PM
One of the guys I gamed with many years ago told a misbehaving d20 that if it rolled one more "1" it would get a guilded tour of his colon.

I never did ask what happened after it DID roll that 1...

I have an anvil and a blacksmith's hammer for recalcitrant dice.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

My dice have the elder sign as the high number and they're the first set that generally rolls well for me. Though I believe they are slowly making the DM go mad... It's not my fault that he gave me a d12 scythe.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Luna

I have a set that was banned from a table...  rolled 2 consecutive 20's as the first two shots against the DM's precious big bad in the final confrontation.  He used crit tables, I rolled "beheaded."

I stilll have that whole set.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 08, 2011, 06:08:59 PM
My dice have the elder sign as the high number and they're the first set that generally rolls well for me. Though I believe they are slowly making the DM go mad... It's not my fault that he gave me a d12 scythe.

Oh, you have one of those non-book DMs.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2011, 06:24:53 PM

Poor Luna. :(

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on May 08, 2011, 07:37:04 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2011, 06:24:53 PM

Poor Luna. :(

Luna?