News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

pc gaem review: far cry

Started by Horab Fibslager, September 11, 2004, 09:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horab Fibslager

let me start off by saying that far cry comes on 5 discs, and is not the first gmame i've had that justified 5 discs(in otehr words none so far have and niether dooes far cry), or maybe it does who can say? far cry takes place on a lush archepeligo, with jungles and all that stuff. if you've played bf:vietnam, it's got more fo those rollign hillscapes. the difference being you can see over 1.2 km away unaided, and a bti further with binocs or sniper rifle. and all of that quite nicely at pretty decent graphics levels.

so on with the review

story: it has a story, unfortunately the main characters look my my former cowker and her boyfreind bobbi and lance, and so havin gto play as lance when bobbi showed up i was like "tell lance to give me my money bobbi!" and ranting and ravign at the screen until i headshotted her.  this of course ended the game and i had to reload several tiem sbefore i realized bobbi doesn't get paid till wednesday adn lance owes me the bloddy money anyway, and talkign to teh character you'er playin gas is jsut crazy.
mad scientist on a tropical island a girly cia agent and an ex spec ops come tour guide gets teh story one ofut of five stars. i saw this movie last year.

graphics: well what can i say? what's not to like about pickign off guys so far away that once they realize they're getting shot in the face one by oen it sitll takes them ten minutes to get to you. lots of trees and bushes to hide in, and motion trackign binocs to make it easy to find guys to kill far away from you. however because of apparently poor coding that caused the game to get severely choppy whenever a helicopter came into the area of my character, it gets two stars

ai: yeah it has ai, enemy mercs use bushes for cover and the stupid mutants throw themselves into giant pits of lava in an effort to reach you, or relentlessly pummel teh tree they're stuck on with high yeaild rockets.
because the mutants and mercs fight tho, i give it 3 stars isntead of two.

map design: all teh maps are completely non linear, even tho they poke you in certain directions. i spent a whole island simply walking on top of a mountain and hiding from helicopters with their choppy screen weapon.
3 stars because otu door terain can be easily auto genrated, adn the inside maps were nothign special

i think there might've been more to this review, but i forget, nonetheless far cry is  a game worth checking out, it's fun to play but unfortunately got shipped with a glarign bug. overall score: a bunch of stars.
Hell is other people.

null-n-void

The choppy helicopter thing doesn't happen to me. strange.

~~~~Closed~~~~

1,2,3,4...you've been rather busy havn't you?

Horab Fibslager

these reviews are liek 2 months past due.

i dunno, it may be my card or the driver, maybe it's made for an nvidia chipset, but nonetheless on every mode regardless of high or low it goes nuts. saem thing with going in reverse from time to time in the jeep. otehr wise doesn't mater hwo many sprites are on screen or how many explosions orhow many trees or lack thereoff it runs pretty smooth.

the helicopter does even have to be anywhere ican see to ahve the probelm eitehr. it canbe behind t mountain or buildings and go nuts,

oh yeah there's oen or two rooms in teh gaem that go ntus too. dunno why, they don't have alot of objects in em and htey'er nto big adn no sprites. just seemed liek a bad map compile.
Hell is other people.

~~~~Closed~~~~

Horab Fibslager

have to wait until the new pci whatever cards come out and the r9800 becomes cheap.

i should mention that it
s an out of the box and unpatched version. ihaven't played it since before i got braodband back since i'm on the last guy anyway.
Hell is other people.

~~~~Closed~~~~

Quote from: treemonsterhave to wait until the new pci whatever cards come out and the r9800 becomes cheap.

that's the exact reason I don't bother with PC's for gaming. over the course of 5 years (the average length of a consoles life) a PC gamer will spend more on his machine and games than the console gamer.

not to mention that consoles have a better selection in games, and don't get and spyware/virus'.

Horab Fibslager

lol, a great many pc gamers don't pay for software. which frees upa lot of money to spend on hardware.  i've played about 20 or so full version games in the last year and sepnt about 250$(30-40$ per game) on games, all of which were new enough they weren't reduced in price.  

nto to mention the mods that become avalable for popular games, adding mroe bang for each dollar spent.

compare at 60-80$ per game for the average new console title. add in overpriced only good for two or three games at best peripherals.
Hell is other people.

~~~~Closed~~~~

buying peripherals are like upgrading your graphics card. you don't have to do it, but it'll improve the experince.

console games cost $50, at most. (unless they come with some sort of peripherals) also, keyboards have over 16 keys, blus a mouse. generally, most of the keys are either unused, or do random ass things that you'll never need.

PC's also tend to get shafted in game variety. PC's FPS games, Strategy games, MMORPG's, and the occasional point'nclick adventure and puzzle games. consoles on the other hand get all of the above plus action, platformers, racing, and RPGs. (normal ones)

not to mention the cost factor. for approx. $3,000, I can get a decent gaming PC with no frills or games other than what comes on the system. for the same amount I can get a PS2, three additional controllers, two memory cards, a multi tap, the network adaptor, and still have enough left over for games.

PC games may have better graphics, but graphics aren't everything. gameplay is much more important. anyone who places graphics above gameplay is a complete and undisputable idiot.