News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Okay, so this "Chapel Perilous" thing. Explain it, please.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, May 09, 2011, 10:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2011, 05:42:19 PM
Quote from: Payne on May 10, 2011, 05:36:06 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2011, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 10, 2011, 05:00:02 PM
Note to self:  no joking anymore on the Discordian forums.

HIMEOBS

YOU CANNOT PEDANT ENOUGH.

Actually, the vikings were ALLIED to the Byzantine Empire.

:lol:

Actually, though, I was thinking more along the lines of Requia, who couldn't get her head around the idea that I had been talking about what objectivists believe, without advocating those beliefs myself.

Uh no, I had no fucking clue how you came to the conclusion that Objectivists believed that.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Payne

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 11, 2011, 05:38:18 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2011, 05:42:19 PM
Quote from: Payne on May 10, 2011, 05:36:06 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2011, 05:33:52 PM
Quote from: Cain on May 10, 2011, 05:00:02 PM
Note to self:  no joking anymore on the Discordian forums.

HIMEOBS

YOU CANNOT PEDANT ENOUGH.

Actually, the vikings were ALLIED to the Byzantine Empire.

:lol:

Actually, though, I was thinking more along the lines of Requia, who couldn't get her head around the idea that I had been talking about what objectivists believe, without advocating those beliefs myself.

Uh no, I had no fucking clue how you came to the conclusion that Objectivists believed that.

You mean to say they don't worship The Emperor from Warhammer 40K? And they do believe in the colour red?

Pshaw, Roger is the best line, the straight dope, on what people actually believe around here.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 11, 2011, 05:00:24 AM
Ok, what I'm getting about this is that it's a kind of crisis where everything you thought turns out to be wrong and the experience is intense enough to make people hallucinate guiding spirits and the like, but wikipedia has it that it's not being sure about the spirit itself, whether it's "real" or hallucination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_perilous 

That is a terrible entry on Chapel Perilous :D
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on May 11, 2011, 03:11:28 PM
Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 11, 2011, 05:00:24 AM
Ok, what I'm getting about this is that it's a kind of crisis where everything you thought turns out to be wrong and the experience is intense enough to make people hallucinate guiding spirits and the like, but wikipedia has it that it's not being sure about the spirit itself, whether it's "real" or hallucination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapel_perilous 

That is a terrible entry on Chapel Perilous :D
Ah. Vestigal Wackypedia...gotcha. Thanks.  :D
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

masquerading

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 10, 2011, 08:53:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 10, 2011, 08:51:14 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD on May 10, 2011, 08:43:58 PM
Concept one: "I am a smart person who makes rational choices that betters my life."

Concept two: "I willingly partake in smoking, which has been proven to shorten and diminish the quality of my life" (if you're not a smoker, substitute a comparable self-destructive behavior).

Try to think about both thoughts simultaneously, without justifying, blaming, or otherwise ducking out of it.

Now, imagine that weird, uncomfortable feeling you get multiplied by about x1023.  That's Chapel Perilous.

[Edit for exponential math geekery]

A mole of confusion?

Indeed: Because one's clarity gets spotty.

Quoted -because-well just because.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

*GrumpButt*

I (am pretty sure I understand the concept) do not think I have ever come to this point.

Although I have had a few life long idea's proven wrong, bashed into the ground, I have just been able to shrug, learn from it and change my way of thinking with not too much of a problem.

So maybe I have, or not. I dunno :lulz:
*sigh* You have to be kidding me.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The way they're talking, I think it would be more of a meltdown...kind of like Richard Gere spazzing out in The Mothman Prophecies or the guys on Wall Street jumping out of windows in '29. Not "Oh wow, Jesus really is fake...where are you going next Saturday?"
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Payne

I've had what some people would call a Chapel Perilous moment.

It came at the bottom of a flight of stairs, and there was no spazzing out. Just a lot of blood and a lot of confusion.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Payne on May 11, 2011, 10:19:33 PM
I've had what some people would call a Chapel Perilous moment.

It came at the bottom of a flight of stairs, and there was no spazzing out. Just a lot of blood and a lot of confusion.

What's awesome is that you have ended up being one of the best people I've had the pleasure of speaking to, as a result.

Sometimes, it takes going through the wringer to bring out the best in someone.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

styx

Very nice thread, sorry I'm only 8 years later to the party.  :horrormirth:

Chapel Perilous is a few words is death and rebirth process (if you can find your way out), it's a metaphor, it happen in your thoughts only, just like Buddhism refers to the Bardo (a state of mind), in this case Bardo is well explained through the Tibetan book of the dead.
However Bardo refers to real physical death and Chapel Perilous not necessarily physical death.

Regards,
The Ferryman

Whenever you are crossing through Chapel Perilous, Black Iron Prison, Bardos or Styx River you have to pay the price in order to get to the other side, failing will put yourself in a very perilous situation. Remaining in the limbo or postpone your decision is not the wisest thing to do, be absolutely sure to carry the right tools, because once inside there is only one way out. You will never be the same again.

The Johnny

Chapel Perilous: taking the red pill by mistake, and not having the incel discourse to guide/comfort you.

:rpger:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Johnny on April 27, 2019, 08:13:21 PM

Chapel Perilous: taking the red pill by mistake, and not having the incel discourse to guide/comfort you.

:rpger:

:lulz:

That's why I took BOTH pills.  Fuck the man.
Molon Lube

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!